*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313380-Jarapiri-and-the-Bunyip
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2313380
Robert sets off to the beach in Australia one morning to find the stories are true.
Robert stood, sweat dripping down his forehead and arms. January 26, another hot, summer day in Australia. But this wasn't just any typical day. It was Australia Day. The sun hadn't rose in the sky yet. Good thing too. Early in the morning was perfect to visit the beach. He couldn't live anywhere. That was left to the indigenous people. He was visiting them and heard stories of their creatures to watch out for. Jarapiri would be feared because it would be half snake, but the worst to meet would be the Bunyip. There were a variety of descriptions of the Bunyip so he didn't know what one would look like for sure. All in all, he felt certain that the beach was a safe place to be.

He strolled to the middle of the beach and turned. The Jarapiri was still following, still on the rocks. But it was as if he had eagle vision. He could see it clearly. This wasn't a prank. The beautiful red rocks matching the sandy beach which he wanted to go for a dive in the water to cool himself off from the coolness of the day. A chance before the heat kicked in and he would find a place indoor to spend the rest of the day. Australia was brutal like that during the middle of the summer. He enjoyed going out to the beach whenever he had a chance. He wasn't going to stay in Australia very long. Just for a month. But he couldn't find a place to stay.

Then a noise came from the direction of the rocks. What appeared to be a human on top of a snake came closer to him, saying one thing. "Beware of the Bunyip."

Closer to the edge of the beach the Jarapiri grew. Robert mumbled about not having any guns to defend himself from it. This would be the last moment he had. He thought of his family and friends. He didn't want to die out here, but the closer the thing came, the more he stood in place. Unsure of what to do. Where to go for help. He tried crying out for help but the sound seemed to fall dead on the spot. It was as if he was living in a nightmare.

He didn't know what to expect of it or what it would do, but he froze in place for a moment from the sound. He wasn't alone. There was someone else around too. He wondered if it was someone dressed up as a Jarapiri but the being was moving too swiftly to be a fake. The being just kept coming closer and closer until it hit the sandy beach. Then it disappeared. Turning around, he then saw the most seaweed like creature, yet humanoid, with claws for hands and feet, and assumed that must be the Bunyip the Jarapiri must have been talking about. The creature was moving swiftly toward him, so he bolted in the opposite direction. If he could reach the rocks of the area, maybe the Bunyip would go away too. As he ran, he tripped. Pain shot through his leg. The Bunyip was eating him alive!

Prompt: Australia Day Jan 26, Indigenous belief Bunyip
Word Count: 533
Contest: "Horror Writing Contest
© Copyright 2024 Angelica- House Florent B & W (dragonfish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2313380-Jarapiri-and-the-Bunyip