*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314484-Songs-of-Stone-and-Steel
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Draft · Fantasy · #2314484
In a realm of misty ruins 2 guardians face a test of magic & will to protect a Heartstone
Veils of mist shrouded the ancient stone ruins, tendrils of vapor caressing weathered arches and crumbling pillars. A heavy silence lay upon the place, as if the very air held its breath in reverence for the stories etched into the moss-covered stones. In the midst of this forgotten sanctuary, a figure moved with purposeful grace.

Aleric, clad in leather armor that hugged his lithe form like a second skin, traced his fingers along an arcane symbol that pulsed faintly with an inner light. His eyes, a striking shade of cobalt that seemed to capture the essence of a stormy sea, flickered with a knowing gleam. A spell whispered from his lips, old as the stones themselves, and the symbol ignited with a brilliant glow that banished shadows from the hidden alcove.

A sharp intake of breath behind him announced the arrival of his companion. Lyria stepped into the circle of light, her gaze fixed on the illuminated rune. Her raven hair cascaded over her shoulders in waves of midnight silk, a stark contrast to her pale skin and armor wrought from moonlight and shadows.

"The Heartstone," she murmured, her voice a melody that resonated with the latent power surrounding them.

Aleric nodded, withdrawing a slender blade from its sheath at his hip. The metal sang as it sliced through the air, its edge gleaming with an ethereal light. With practiced precision, he cut his palm, allowing crimson to well up and drip onto the stone.

Lyria's hand shot out to grip his wrist, her touch both firm and warm. "Must blood always be your answer?" she chided softly.

He met her gaze squarely. "Blood seals our intent," he replied, voice as steady as the earth beneath their feet. "And intent gives life to our will."

The droplets sizzled upon contact with the rune, which flared brighter still until it was near-blinding. Then suddenly, as if snuffed by an unseen force, it extinguished, plunging them back into twilight gloom.

From within the silence rose a rumble—a low growl that reverberated through stone and bone alike. The ground beneath them trembled; dust shook loose from ancient rafters.

Aleric and Lyria exchanged glances—his steely resolve complementing her fiery determination—as they turned to face whatever emerged from within the depths of the ruins.

The earth cracked open at their feet, fissures racing across the hallowed ground like lightning across a storm-ridden sky. From this chasm rose a figure cloaked in darkness so profound it seemed to swallow light whole.

"Guardian," Aleric addressed it with respect edged with defiance.

Lyria's hand drifted to her own blade—a slender rapier that hummed with enchantments only she could wield—as she assessed their opponent. The creature towered over them; its eyes burned like coals set within a visage of nightmare and stone.

"I am keeper of this sacred place," it intoned, voice echoing off stone walls as if carried by winds from another world. "You seek what is not yours to claim."

"We seek only to protect," Aleric countered. "The Heartstone must not fall into hands darkened by greed and lust for power."

The Guardian's laugh was a sound like boulders grinding against each other. "Noble intentions pave many paths to ruin."

Lyria stepped forward, fearless despite standing in shadow. "Yet we must walk one such path," she declared. "For inaction guarantees destruction."

With an agility belying its size, the Guardian moved—a blur of darkness lashing out towards them.

Lyria leapt aside while Aleric raised an arm in defense; runes flared up along his forearm forming a barrier just as solid as any shield. The impact resonated through him but he held firm.

They fought not just with steel but with magic woven between breaths and heartbeats—flames conjured by Lyria danced alongside shards of ice summoned by Aleric; both harmonized in their deadly dance against their foe.

It became clear they fought not merely for victory but understanding; each parry and thrust a question posed to this enigmatic keeper—a test of worthiness or folly.

The Guardian paused mid-strike, looming over them like an eclipse threatening to blot out all light. "Why do you persist?" it boomed.

Lyria's response came swift as lightning: "Because there is hope yet within us."

Aleric followed suit: "And where hope thrives, so too does possibility."

For an instant that spanned eternity, they stood locked in tableau—challengers bathed in moonlight against darkness incarnate.

Then came change—a shift perceptible only to those attuned to subtleties of magic and mood alike—the Guardian's stance softened ever so slightly; its gaze less piercing more pensive.

"Prove yourselves," it demanded—a statement laced with unspoken promises of trials yet endured but not insurmountable.

With a mutual nod acknowledging unspoken strategy and shared fate alike, Aleric and Lyria prepared themselves for whatever test awaited—knowing full well triumph hinged not on might alone but on wits and will intertwined like roots beneath ancient soil.
© Copyright 2024 phophia (phophia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314484-Songs-of-Stone-and-Steel