*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314882-When-Your-Remote-Demands-Brand-Batteries
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #2314882
When Your Remote Demands Brand-Name Batteries
The flickering glow of the TV was a beacon in the dim living room, the scent of microwaved popcorn clinging to the air. Saturdays were sacred – a ritual of cheesy action flicks, questionable sci-fi marathons, and the blissful surrender to mind-numbing entertainment. Tonight was no different, or so I thought.

"Where is it?" My partner's voice rose in a panic, breaking the comfortable silence. They rummaged through the couch cushions.

My stomach lurched with a familiar dread. "Did you try the usual spots? Between the dog toys? The black hole beneath the recliner?"

Their search grew more frantic. "Nope, nope, and definitely nope!"

This wasn't a mere misplaced remote, it was a full-blown crisis. That tiny plastic tyrant, with its power to control our cinematic destiny, had vanished. In the grand scheme of problems, it was a silly thing to get worked up about, yet in that moment, it felt like a betrayal. An uprising amidst our sweatpants-clad kingdom.

"It's not here!" My partner's voice was raw with desperation. "I've looked everywhere!"

A cold sweat prickled my brow. Tonight wasn't just any TV night. Tonight was the legendary "Bad Movie Bonanza" – an annual tradition where we unearthed cinematic disasters so terrible, they looped back around to being oddly brilliant. We'd spent weeks curating a watchlist guaranteed to induce both belly laughs and existential dread.

"The remote has to be somewhere," I insisted, voice trembling as I frantically checked my fuzzy bathrobe pockets.

"Think!" My partner snapped, their usual laid-back demeanor replaced by wild-eyed intensity. "Where did you last see it?"

My mind raced. Had I left it on the counter while wrangling the dangerously overflowing popcorn bag? Could the cat, in a fit of feline mischief, have batted it beneath the impossibly low-clearance sofa? The possibilities swirled into an anxiety-fueled blur.

The doorbell jangled, a harsh intrusion into our panic. It was our friends, arriving with their promised contributions of questionable takeout and anticipation for the cinematic trainwrecks to come.

"We…uh…have a slight problem…" I stammered, gesturing vaguely towards the disarray of our living room.

Their expressions shifted from amusement to concern. The weight of our missing-remote disaster crashed down on me. How do you explain to otherwise rational people that your evening, possibly your entire social life, hinges on a misplaced piece of plastic?

"You wouldn't believe the traffic," my partner blurted out, a sudden burst of inspiration fueling this blatant lie. "Total gridlock. Apparently, there was a…um…emu parade?" We exchanged a desperate glance over our friends' bewildered faces.

One friend, bless her eternally optimistic heart, chuckled. "That's wild! I once saw a llama loose on the highway, held up traffic for hours."

We seized this opening, weaving a tale of spontaneous road trips, improbable animal encounters, and unexpected detours into discount furniture outlets. The absurdity of our excuses escalated with each passing minute, the tension a ticking time bomb beneath forced smiles.

"We figured we'd just circle back, no biggie!" I insisted, trying to ignore the gnawing feeling that our friendship was about to join the ranks of those cinematic disasters.

Suddenly, a flicker of hope – the microwave timer beeped. "Pizza rolls!" my partner exclaimed, leaping towards the kitchen.

We used the cheesy distraction to regroup. This charade couldn't last. The truth, no matter how ridiculous, loomed on the horizon. How long could we stall? Just what desperate measures were we willing to take?

My fingers hovered over the microwave keypad. Each shrill beep felt like another nail in the coffin of our ever-escalating deceptions. When I reentered the living room, desperation had me clutching the bag of pizza rolls like a lifeline. Then, my gaze fell upon a forgotten relic from a long-past Halloween party: the Ouija board.

"Well, this is awkward," my partner mumbled, following my gaze. "But maybe…" their voice trailed off.

A flicker of hope ignited within me. Perhaps this wasn't a failure, but an opportunity. After all, who questions the eccentricities of a "spooky" board game night?

"It's kinda perfect, right?" I whispered, ignoring the knot of absurdity forming in my stomach. "A little retro fun, maybe get the mystical vibes flowing…"

Our friends, while initially skeptical, were sufficiently intrigued (and maybe a bit distracted by the promise of piping hot pizza rolls). With exaggerated solemnity, we dimmed the lights and gathered around the coffee table.

At first, the planchette moved aimlessly. Awkward jokes about haunted takeout masked the growing tension. Then, the shift happened. A subtle but undeniable change in the atmosphere, a prickle of unease down my spine. And as we posed yet another lighthearted question about the spirit world, the unthinkable happened.

The TV, silent until now, crackled to life. Static filled the screen, morphing and twisting before our wide eyes.

…Suddenly, Carol Anne's chilling whisper echoed through the room. "They're here…"

One friend shrieked, sending a handful of pizza rolls flying like cheesy projectiles. The other bolted upright, eyes wide with terror, before hastily announcing their urgent need to use the restroom with unconvincing nonchalance. My partner's face was a mask of bewildered panic.

The Ouija board delivered the final blow. The planchette, seemingly possessed by a manic energy, spelled out frantic letters before the entire board launched itself across the room, crashing spectacularly into a strategically arranged pile of throw pillows.

"Okay, seriously," my partner blurted out, unable to contain the absurdity any longer. "We have a confession…"

The confession tumbled out – the missing remote, our increasingly outlandish lies, the strange feeling that something else was guiding our evening towards this ridiculous climax. Our petrified friends stared back at us, mouths agape in a mix of disbelief and dawning horror.

Then, as if to validate our increasingly unhinged claims, Carol Anne's voice crackled over the TV again, stronger now. "The remote…it has demands…"

A wave of shock washed over us. This wasn't just a missing remote or a silly lie gone wrong. This was something far stranger and far more unsettling.

The absurdity of the situation threatened to overwhelm us. My partner and I exchanged a nervous glance. It was tempting to brush off Carol Anne's words, to blame the flickering TV on bad reception or an unseen spider short-circuiting our ancient cable box. Surely this was just an escalating series of bizarre coincidences, and whatever sanity we had left was teetering precariously on the edge.

"Must be…uh…sunspots?" I offered weakly, my voice betraying a distinct lack of conviction. "Or, you know, the power grid is wonky after that emu parade…"

One of our friends, the one currently strategizing escape routes involving the bathroom window, rallied their courage. "Okay, guys," they began, their voice shaky but determined. "I love a good spooky story, but this is…a lot. We need a reality check."

We all nodded in desperate agreement. Taking a deep breath, I marched over to the TV, determined to dispel this otherworldly nonsense with a good old-fashioned whack on the side.

But as my hand approached the screen, Carol Anne's voice echoed forth once more, cutting through our fragile facade of normalcy.

"Don't ignore me," she said, a hint of impatience in her ethereal voice. "The remote has needs. Obey its demands…"

The room fell into a stunned silence. Then, my partner spoke, their voice barely above a whisper. "Perhaps…we just need to hear it out? Couldn't hurt, right?"

A collective gasp filled the room as I reached for the TV's power button. Just before my fingers made contact, a surge of energy coursed through the air. The lights flickered wildly, casting grotesque dancing shadows across the walls. A framed photo of my aunt's exceptionally fluffy cat clattered to the floor. Even the normally unflappable pizza rolls seemed to vibrate with unease.

"Absolutely not!" I declared, but my voice sounded small against the rising cacophony.

One of our friends let out a strangled noise, a mix between a sob and a panicked laugh. "Maybe…maybe we should just… you know… see what this, uh, remote spirit wants?"

We exchanged desperate glances, then looked back at the TV. It blared on, the static now morphing into a grainy, distorted image. Then, Carol Anne materialized, her face a mask of unnerving intensity.

"LISTEN TO HIS DEMANDS!" she shrieked, her voice cracking with an otherworldly desperation that shattered our last shreds of resistance.

In the face of the supernatural temper tantrum unfolding before us, defiance crumbled. My partner slumped onto the sofa, a picture of bewildered resignation.

"Fine!" they shouted over the din. "Fine, whatever. Remote spirit, tell us, what do you want?!"

The chaos subsided abruptly. In the eerie silence that followed, the TV screen flickered. Blocky letters began to form, spelling out a message that would change our perception of remote controls (and possibly television) forever:

Holding our breath, we braced ourselves for a list of outrageous, possibly soul-crushing, demands. The screen flickered, and the remote's message materialized in a flurry of distorted pixels:

DEMANDS:

ONLY ENERGIZER BATTERIES. NO CHEAP KNOCKOFFS. I NEED POWER. I NEED TO KEEP GOING…AND GOING…

Stunned silence filled the room. Then, a wave of hysterical laughter erupted, a mix of relief and utter disbelief. After escalating bouts of supernatural chaos and near emotional breakdowns, the source of our torment was…a picky remote control with a strong brand preference?

My partner, tears of laughter streaming down their face, gasped out, "You've got to be kidding me! We faced down a poltergeist and all it wanted was a decent set of batteries?!"

Even our terrified friends couldn't contain their amusement. Had this entire night been a bizarre, elaborate advertisement orchestrated by an exhausted remote powered by bargain-bin batteries on their last legs?

Despite the absurdity, a strange logic settled over us. Of all the supernatural entities we could have encountered, a remote control with a battery problem was, admittedly, one of the least threatening.

With a mix of trepidation and a newfound sense of the absurd, we piled into the car. Tucked safely into a makeshift cushion-lined fortress on the passenger seat was our tyrannical remote control. The drive to the nearest convenience store was the most surreal of our lives – punctuated by nervous glances, arguments over the merits of various battery brands, and a hesitant offer to stop for takeout on the way back as a peace offering.

The cashier, bless her soul, barely blinked an eye at the sight of us carefully choosing a premium pack of Energizer batteries as if purchasing a sacred relic. Back home, a flicker of anticipation ran through the room as the new batteries were installed, the remote emitting a soft, satisfied click in response.

With a deep breath, we powered on the television. This time, instead of a horror-movie-worthy greeting, a grainy infomercial blared forth. The remote, once our tormentor, seemed oddly content, vibrating with a low-level hum we could only assume was a sign of satisfaction.

Our battle against the remote rebellion was over, replaced by a ceasefire forged out of batteries and a shared appreciation for cheesy entertainment. As the first episode of a truly terrible 80s cartoon began, complete with neon spandex and nonsensical plot lines, we sank into the couch. A pile of forgotten pizza rolls, a slightly battered Ouija board, and a remote nestled amongst the cushions were all the evidence we needed of our absurd evening.

It wasn't the Bad Movie Bonanza we'd envisioned, but as we huddled together, laughter echoing in a room once filled with fear, a strange truth settled over us. Sometimes, the greatest adventures (and the best stories) start with the simplest of things…like a missing remote control and a desperate search for a night of mindless entertainment.
© Copyright 2024 russelljadams (russell.james at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2314882-When-Your-Remote-Demands-Brand-Batteries