*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2315787-A-Heros-Challenge
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Sci-fi · #2315787
Part 3 of my Overload storyline
         The day started like any other. In fact, it started better than others. I had read the paper and saw my interview with Tiffany Wilson from the day before. People were starting to come to my company. I had started the company as a cover for my activities as Overload, but it was starting to become a successful business venture.
         I had been working with my employees on a new prototype when it happened. We heard an explosion off in the distance. We all paused. Then another explosion.
         "What the heck was that?" asked one of my employees.
         "I have no idea," I said. "I just hope that wasn't at the supply yard. I'll go check it out."
         I headed for the elevator to the Workshop. None of the employees questioned it. While Randal was the only one who knew the true nature of the Workshop, most of the others knew that I had an advanced computer system down there, that was connected to some of our important partners.
         I hopped on the computer to see what was going on.
         "It's all over the news channels," said Randal as he stepped out of the elevator. "Channel 4, Channel 5, 9, 41, all of them."
         It was the first true villain that I had to face. He was at Union Station.
         "People of Kansas City! I heard about your new hero! Overload! I want to see just what you've got, punk. If you don't come to face me in an hour, I'll destroy this building and everyone in it!"
         "This is obviously a trap," said Randal as I got ready to fight.
         "Maybe, but he's not exactly the smartest villain," I replied. "He may actually just want to fight me. Why he would, I have no idea."
         "Do you know how to fight him?" asked Randal.
         "Not really," I admitted. "I'm not even sure if I can beat Absorbing Man on my own." I put on my new mask. It was the first time I was wearing it for a fight. "But I can still try. Randal, stick to Overwatch. See if you can get into the Stark Network. I want as much information on this guy as possible. Look for any weaknesses."
         I hopped on my motorcycle and sped down one of the tunnels out of the Workshop. If Overload kept exiting through the Black Train Depot's parking garage, eventually someone would connect the dots and would question me about it. But Overload emerging from the tunnel for a little-used road or rail line wasn't quite as suspicious.
         I drove like the wind down the streets. I may have run a few red lights, but I was on a mission. I hurtled down Main Street until I got to the police blockade. I screeched to a halt just before I reached it.
         "Sorry sir," said the cop, "but no one's allowed past while Absorbing Man's in control of the Station."
         "I'm sure you'd make an exception for me, right?" I asked. The vocal scrambler on my mask worked. If I hadn't heard my own voice from inside my mask, I would never have known that it was me.
         "Overload? Is that you?" the cop asked. "I thought you dressed differently."
         "I've upgraded. Now, let me through or I'll do it myself."
         The police begrudgingly let me pass, and I drove the rest of the way to the Station. The police still didn't fully trust me yet, but if Absorbing Man really was going to let the passengers go if I fought him....
         "What's the deal?" I asked as I arrived.
         "Absorbing Man has taken everyone in there hostage. We think they number around 160, although a passenger train arrived shortly after he took over, and we have no idea how many were on board."
         "How much longer until his deadline is over?" I asked.
         "If Overload doesn't show himself in 15 minutes, I will turn this building into rubble!"
         "Okay, that answers that question." I sighed, wondering what my next move should be. I had no idea what to do in a hostage situation like this. I asked the police chief to talk to Absorbing Man and ask him to release the hostages.
         The chief got on the megaphone. "Absorbing Man, Overload is here."
         "I ain't releasing any prisoners until he comes in here!"
         "Can I see the megaphone?" I asked. The chief gave it to me. "If I come in there to face you, do you promise to let them go?"
         "Why don't you come in here and find out?"
         I turned to the chief. "If he doesn't let them go when I get there, I'll make saving them my priority. Make sure they get to safety."
         The chief nodded. I understood his hesitance. I still hadn't proven that I was a good guy. Right now, I was just some newcomer with a robotic arm and a mask. The only "proof" they had that I was a hero was testimony from Tiffany. And even then, she had been in the alley where Overload was first seen. For all the police knew, I was one of the people that had been mugging her.
         Truth be told, I was wondering why Absorbing Man would be challenging me without indication that I was really a hero. I decided to think that he was tired of getting beat on by heroes like Hulk, and wanted an easier target.
         I took a deep breath before walking in. The hostages were all on the ground, kneeling. Absorbing Man was standing between me and them.
         "Ah, Overload. I was wondering if you'd ever accept my challenge."
         "Let the hostages go, Creel," I said.
         "As you wish." He waved his hand. The hostages cautiously stood up and quickly ran out of the building.
         "That was easier than I expected," I said. Once the hostages had left, it was just me and Absorbing Man. "Alright, Creel, why'd you call me out? What do you want?"
         "I just wanted to give you the traditional "new superhero" welcome." He swung his arm and almost hit me with his wrecking ball. I had anticipated the attack coming, however, and narrowly dodged out of the way. I turned my arm into a blaster and fired at him, but he deflected the blast with his ball. Then he used his powers, turning into the same material as the floor. That was going to make things difficult.
         "Overload," Randal said over comms, "I've managed to patch into the Station's surveillance system. The good news: I can see your fight. The bad news: Creel hasn't released all the hostages. And I don't know where they are."
         "Alright, Creel," I asked, "where are you keeping the hostages?"
         "Someplace secret. But you'd better be careful, hero, unless you want to bring them harm."
         Creel tried to hit me with the wrecking ball again. I didn't have time to dodge, so I summoned my shield and put it between me and the ball. But there was still enough force behind it to push me aside.
         "I wouldn't try that again," Randal advised. "That ball is doing a lot of damage. One more hit and you won't be able to retract your shield."
         "And that's an issue?" I asked, clumsily rolling out of the way of another attack.
         "If you want to maneuver better."
         "Fair enough. How are we doing on the Stark Network?"
         "It's difficult. JARVIS or Friday or whatever system he's using as a firewall is very good at its job. I think I'm getting there, but I'm not sure."
         "Hurry up. I'm getting sick of this dodge-and-roll routine."
         I dodged and rolled into the kitchen of a restaurant inside the Station. The cooking staff was tied up. "I found some of the hostages," I told Randal. I summoned my knife and sliced the restraints off one of the staff. "Untie the others," I told him, as Creel burst into the kitchen. I turned to face him. "Let's take this outside," I said to Absorbing Man. I tackled him and both of us were surprised that I was able to push him out of the kitchen. I guess my bionic strength was greater than I realized.
         I got to my feet before Creel could. I ran out of the restaurant. I ran to the archway where the lobby met with what had been the waiting area, back when railroads were the primary form of transport. I paused, waiting for Creel to catch up.
         "Overload," said Randal, "I've managed to tap into the Stark Network. I've found information on Absorbing Man. I haven't found a weakness yet, but I think I might know one."
         "Let me guess," I said while sidestepping Creel's attack, "it has to do with his powers."
         "Yes. Oh, he- No, no, no. It kicked me out of the system. But I was able to learn that he can't always control what he absorbs."
         Creel swung the wrecking ball. I ducked and sprung up quickly to punch him in the face with my robot arm. He grunted in pain. But to my horror, he started turning into metal. "Thanks for the upgrade," he taunted.
         "Eagle Eye, any ideas how to beat him while he's metal?"
         "Well, if he's metal, then he should have the weaknesses of metal. Heat and electricity. But it would take more of either than I think the building can supply."
         "What about other materials?" I asked, starting to feel fatigued. "Marble, wood, plastic." I noticed one of the stores. "Chocolate."
         "Chocolate?"
         "There's a chocolate store here."
         "I don't think that would work. Wait, what about water?"
         "Yeah, that would work. It's a liquid, so it'd be hard for him to maintain a form."
         "You're trying to turn me into water, aren't you?" asked Creel. He swung the ball yet again, but I dodged it. "I've fallen for that once before. I ain't falling for it again."
         "Eagle Eye, do you know what Science City is?"
         "Hold on." I heard some typing. "According to the website, it's a place for kids to learn science through hands-on activities."
         "Let's hope we don't damage this place too much," I said, ducking into Science City.
         "Overload, wait. There are a lot of hostages in there."
         "Now you tell me," I said. I had already gotten a glimpse of the twenty or so people who were tied up in the gift shop. I knew I had to help them, but Creel was too close. I had to lure him away from them, which is what I did. I passed by a magnetic table and I got an idea. "Yoohoo, try to hit me," I taunted. Creel swung the wrecking ball, only for part of the chain to get stuck on the magnet. I ran into the main part of Science City. "Okay, I bought myself a few seconds. What sort of displays do they have here?"
         "Uh, there are music-makers right where you are. There are optical illusions, a sky bike, fossils, genetics, and an elevation sandbox. Bottom floor, there's a water area. But there are hostages everywhere."
         "Yeah, I got that," I said, staring at a family with two young children. I noted all the hostages I could see. There wouldn't be too many places where Creel and I could fight without putting civilians in harm's way.
         I heard a loud grunt. Creel appeared at the entrance. "Overload. I'm going to crush you."
         "You'll have to catch me first," I replied. I lept over the guardrail and landed on the first floor.
         "Why'd you do that?" Randal asked as I started running.
         "Taking the stairs would have put too many civilians in danger, and the elevator would be stupid."
         "You have noticed that Creel is back to being a human, right?" asked Randal as Creel landed behind me.
         "Yes," I lied as I blasted him in the left arm. Creel shouted in pain. He turned and absorbed the nearest metal, which happened to be part of the playground. Being chased by a bright green Creel was only slightly less intimidating.
         "Which way to the water area?" I asked Randal.
         "Creel's in your way. Keep going forward. Take a left." I reached a "fossil dig" area, where kids could uncover a fake fossil from under a pile of what looked like rubber pellets. I grabbed some and threw it at Creel's face. Some got in his eye and he stopped, shouting in pain.
         I ran over to the hostages at the dig. I sliced the bonds of the parents. "Take the kids, get to the elevator. And free anyone else you can. I'll buy you time."
         Creel had recovered. He moved to swing the wrecking ball. I couldn't dodge it. Not without hurting the civilians. I knew what I had to do. I ran up to him and grabbed the chain, surprising Creel. I used that surprise to rip the chain out of his hand. I tossed the wrecking ball into the planetarium and closed the door. "No more toys," I told him.
         "Fine by me," he said, cracking his knuckles. His metal fingers produced an interesting sound. "I wanted to crush you with my bare hands anyway." He threw a punch, which I dodged. "Stop dodging already," said Creel, "just let me hit you already."
         "Sure, because getting hit by a metal fist is exactly what I wanted."
         "Overload, head to the playground," said Randal. "Then head towards 'Every Last Drop'. That's the water area."
         "Thanks." I ran through the playground. Interestingly enough, it was the only place where there weren't any hostages. I ran towards Every Last Drop. I stood facing Creel, my back to a water table. I panted. I was exhausted. Superheroing was tough work.
         Absorbing Man laughed when he saw where I was. "Didn't you hear me earlier? I'm not stupid enough to turn myself into water again."
         "Then prove it." I did a "come at me, bro" gesture. Creel charged at me. I slid, using his momentum against him. I took his legs out from under him while punching into his chest, giving him enough upward velocity to land on the water table. I got to my feet. Creel got to his feet, but I had done it. He was turning into water. "Looks like you were wrong," I said, as Absorbing Man dissipated into the rest of the water.
         I walked over to one of the hostages in the group. He was a police officer. I freed him. "Officer, tell the police outside that Creel is down. And tell them to find a mop or a lot of sponges. It'll take a bit to reassemble Creel."
         "You'd think that," said Creel's voice. I turned to look. Creel was quickly reforming himself, by turning into the same type of plastic that the kids could use to change the flow of water on the table. "You did good, Overload. But our little dance is over. And I have a train to catch."
         Creel jumped out of the water, fully reformed. He ran up the stairs. I ran after him, considerably slower than earlier. I left the Science City part of the building. I saw Creel run into the Amtrak area.
         "Overload, you won't be able to catch up to him. But if you head to your left, there's a bridge that overlooks the train tracks."
         "Thanks for the advice." I jogged towards the bridge. The train was already underway when I got there. I lept down onto it. I headed towards the front car of the train. I figured that's where Creel would be. I was right. He was there. With one other person. "Let him go, Creel," I said.
         "I was just about to tell you the same thing," said Creel. He held up a small device. "Let me go or else I'll blow up the other four cars and all their passengers."
         I was torn. I couldn't let the people die. I couldn't let Creel get away, especially with a train full of hostages. I could only see one decent option. I stepped onto the second passenger car and blasted the coupling between the cars.
         "Good choice," Creel said. He laughed as the back of the train slowed down. I flipped the track switch so the passenger cars moved over onto the service track, out of the path of any incoming trains. The passengers inside all cheered once the train came to a stop. I lay down, exhausted, both physically and emotionally. Police arrived quickly. They helped the hostages get to safety. I let the police know what happened, and how Creel got away.


         I was back in the Workshop. I was sitting behind a computer desk, drinking coffee while watching the news. "An incredible act of heroism earlier today..."
         "...The villain known as Absorbing Man took over Kansas City's Union Station earlier today..."
         "...we are pleased to report that all of Absorbing Man's hostages are unharmed. Absorbing Man was able to get away..."
         "It was the new hero. Overload. If you're watching this, thank you for saving us."
         "Kansas City may not be New York City, but it's nice to know that we've got our own hero."
         I didn't feel much like a hero. I let Absorbing Man get away.
         The phone rang. "Caller unidentified?" asked Randal.
         I picked up the phone. "Someone tried to hack into the Stark Network from Kansas City earlier today," Tony Stark said on the other side of the phone. "They were looking for information on Absorbing Man. I wonder who that could have been."
         "Look, Tony."
         "No, I get it. Look, for a variety of reasons, I can't give you access to my Network. However, if you agree to a little meeting, you might be able to gain access to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s. Now, regarding Absorbing Man."
         "I know, I let him get away."
         "You did the right thing. Absorbing Man wasn't bluffing about the bombs."
         "I know."
         "You can't save everyone, kid. That's a lesson I keep learning on this job."
         "So, do we know who he took hostage?"
         "Not yet. S.H.I.E.L.D. and the KCPD are looking through the passenger list to see who was on that train, but it'll take a while."
         "There's something that's been bothering me. I'm pretty sure Absorbing Man was after whoever was on that train car with him. But then, why call me out?"
         "Why do villains always insist on picking fights with heroes?" replied Iron Man. "Sometimes the existence of heroes invites challenge from villains. Cheer up, you survived your first major villain. That's a win."
         "Could you get me into contact with S.H.I.E.L.D.?" I asked.
         "I've already reached out to them," replied Tony. "They're sending an agent out to meet you. They say her name is Amanda Fisher."

© Copyright 2024 ArceusLord13 (arceuslord13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2315787-A-Heros-Challenge