*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2315913-Kismet
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2315913
Flash Fiction
Kismet

I heard something. My husband on a work trip already, no pets, didn’t know my neighbors yet, all my friends a hundred miles away. I was feeling very alone, and very sorry for myself.

Jeff was excited about the new job. Me too. It was a lovely pay jump from his old job, he now made more than both of us had together in Medway. Now I could ‘not’ work at all, unless I found something I really liked. I imagined fixing up the new house, the yard, exploring town, and definitely planning for our future children.

A week later, everything was done. I could find my way around town blindfolded. I met neighbors, most having day jobs so becoming friends would take a while. Also they loved the people who sold us the house so much, every conversation ended up talking about how much they missed them, it actually felt awkward, as if we had chased them away.

Anyway, I heard something. I walked over to the front window and peeked toward the door. I knew I’d heard something. Suddenly I saw a hand, someone was at the door, but hidden by the bush. I rushed over to peak out just as the hand knocked.

Now, through the peep hole, I could see the person, she’d been hunched down before, it was my new next door neighbor. I’d only seen her once because she’d been away. The other neighbors occasionally mentioned her, I didn’t even remember her name. I opened the door quickly, unfortunately, scaring her to death! As soon as she stopped screaming, she burst into laughter. Consequently, so did I! Plus, she’d brought back a housewarming batch of cookies, from New Jersey!

It’s been forty two years now. Sandy is still my very best friend. That’s kismet.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2315913-Kismet