*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316058-The-Gift
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2316058
A mysterious gift by an unlikely delivery agent


         As Becca woke, she discovered her bedroom window had been left open at night, allowing the billowing wind to make the lace curtains dance in the moonlight breeze. As she uncovered herself and walked sleepily over to the window to shut the window, she noticed the full moon's light shining upon her flower garden on the eastern side of her home. As she admired her garden, her attention turned immediately to the scarecrow propped in the middle of the garden, facing her direction. She thought that was odd; they are usually in the vegetable garden.

         She then remembered she had no vegetable garden and didn't place a scarecrow in her flower garden.

         Becca dressed and got her coat, boots, and a high-powered flashlight downstairs. After struggling to close the door tightly, she resumed her walk to the east side of the house and the waiting scarecrow. The scarecrow was gone when she turned the corner and flashed her light onto the garden. Becca moved her light around the garden and the yard to see if it was moved. She went where she believed the scarecrow had been and found a hole where a stake had been removed.

         Disgusted with the waste of time, she is about to turn around when a glint of something shiny is noticed in the hole. She reaches down, scoops up some dirt, and fingers through the handful until she discovers a ring with two emeralds and a diamond.

         Taking the ring inside, she carefully cleans the ring and grabs a magnifying glass to read the inscription. It was the ring her grandfather gave her grandmother eighty-five years ago, thought to be lost forever.

         Someone wanted her to have the family's precious past heirloom given to and passed down with love.


.296 words

© Copyright 2024 J.R. PETE (jtpete86 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316058-The-Gift