*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316699-A-Boy-in-Wand-World
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2316699
After using a mysterious wand, a young boy finds himself on an unusual adventure
When the young boy found the magic wand, he used it to conjure up the video game he had always wanted. When he couldn’t beat the video game right away, he conjured the strategy guide and beat the game with the guide at hand.

Upon finishing the game, he felt unfulfilled as young boys occasionally do. Using the wand again, he conjured another more obscure and difficult video game and another strategy guide, but was once again left feeling empty for the experience.

Finally, the boy directly asked the wand to create a new, challenging game that would have no guide to speak of. That way, he wouldn’t be tempted to cheat and be forced to discover how to win the game himself.

As the wand sparkled briefly in his hand, the boy blinked and suddenly found himself in an altogether different world. There were odd-shaped fruits, trees, and animals he couldn’t identify. After looking for the wand to help him leave this strange world, he realized it wasn’t with him.

Upon suddenly noticing a large pair of glowing eyes in the underbrush nearby, the boy felt a surge of panic and immediately ran. With a glance behind him, he noticed a large cat bounding quickly, giving chase. The boy saw a cave and scrambled inside, hoping the cat would be too big to enter.

Inside the cave, blackness surrounded him and he was thankful to learn the cat really couldn’t fit inside the cave, but that didn’t stop it from reaching with its massive paw and swiping toward the boy in the dark. He slowly began to sniffle and then cry into his knees. Without the wand that brought him here, he didn’t know what to do.

Wiping his eyes, the boy noticed a faint glow appearing just behind him. Turning, he saw a small glow worm and was almost startled enough to move within swiping distance of the cat. The worm began to speak, reminding the boy that he could use a rock in the cave to smash the cat’s paw and maybe even scare it away. The boy did just this and the cat finally left with a whimper.

The boy asked the worm where he was, and the worm explained that this was the world created by the wand and that he was there to guide the boy back home. The boy started feeling sheepish for making his wish as he was slowly realizing he was, more or less, inside a fantasy-based video game. He had asked for such a game to be created for him, and now felt he was in over his head.

The worm finally introduced itself as Degan and the boy said his name was Chuck. As the sun began setting outside the cave, the pair left with Degan pointing out that a tall tower in the west looked promising. As they walked in the darkening land, Chuck asked Degan if he knew about the wand. Degan explained the wand wasn’t gone, just somewhere in the world. He also stated Chuck might have to go through some unpleasant trials to get back home. With someone like Degan at his side, Chuck felt like he was up to the task.

With the sun finally setting, Chuck suggested they make camp and rest, and Degan asked why. The question confused Chuck, but the worm pointed out that he probably didn’t really feel tired. Chuck was just conditioned to go to bed when it was dark. Thinking about it, Chuck realized the worm was right, and he didn’t feel tired at all. He recalled his video games and remembered that, come nightfall in a game, the story would continue. It wasn’t often that a main character would sleep through the night in a game.

Chuck also knew that in many games, darkness often housed stronger monsters. Regardless, Chuck did feel like he was at full-health and continued into the night easily with Degan the glow worm on his shoulder.

As he walked along the path, Chuck saw a strange wolf appear before him, as if it had dropped straight out of the moon high above. Degan explained it was a lunar-wolf and they’d have to kill it to continue forward, but Check had no weapons and instantly felt afraid.

Degan suggested Chuck reach for a stick amongst the nearby treeline and wield it as a weapon. With barely enough time, Chuck found a stick just as the lunar-world attacked. He swiped the stick at the wolf’s face and it howled, but didn’t fall back. It only looked angrier.

Chuck felt shaky and Degan told him that if he concentrated, he would succeed. Chuck took a deep breath to steady himself and focused when the wolf leapt again. He dropped to the ground and jabbed up into the wolf’s stomach. The best howled more firmly this time and looked like it might slink away into the night. Degan reminded Chuck that he needed to kill the creature in order to advance.

Chuck was apprehensive about killing something that was already defeated, but knew he ultimately wanted to get home. He followed after the lunar-wolf and this time swung at its skull. The beast fell to the side, dead, and then disappeared. Just like in a video game.

At first, Chuck felt immense guilt, but then there was a surge of power inside his limbs. Degan told Chuck that with each creature slain, Chuck would grow more powerful, and more power was the key to stopping the final lord and freeing himself from the Wand World. With that explanation, the guilt almost evaporated when Chuck understood he was literally within a big game. The pair continued.

The tower in the west loomed ominously, but Degan said that was where they ultimately needed to go. Chuck knew there was literally no one else in this strange world that he could attempt to trust either way, so he took the glow worm’s advice.

As they walked, they encountered a couple more lunar-wolves and Chuck defeated them and knew he was becoming stronger, but he also somehow felt weaker. Degan explained that as Chuck gained experience, his strength grew, but so did his level of health. WIth each experience level achieved after killing the monsters, his maximum potential level of health was increasing, but his actual health was still the same.

He pointed Chuck toward a tree and asked him to look behind it. There was a small, green orb glowing on the ground, which Degan classified as a health bit. As soon as he touched the bit, he felt stronger, knowing that his level of health was reaching its current maximum potential.

Thinking about his years of playing video games, Chuck wondered if there was a way he could see his current level of health or strength, or even a map of the surrounding area. Degan reminded Chuck that this world was apparently built like a video game, but it wasn’t a game. He knew that if Chuck died here, that would mean he was truly dead. The sobering thought caught Chuck off guard and he felt his eyes welling him. “No continues,” he muttered to himself.

Looking down at his stick, Chuck expressed a desire to possess a real weapon, like a gun or a sword. Degan understood and suggested that they either continue west toward the tower and face the Wand Lord who resided there, or travel south to a temple where he knew rested a blessed blade which had been forged centuries before. Chuck figured he would play like he did a video game, despite having just been reminded that this wasn’t a game, and go for the weapon upgrade.

As he maneuvered south, Chuck couldn’t help silently wondering how he might’ve fared against a Wand Lord with just his stick. He also wondered aloud about whether he might be able to learn any spells that might assist him in his journey. Degan said that when Chuck achieved enough power through experience, he might naturally learn a spell or latent ability, but that he might do better to focus on acquiring better weapons and maybe some armor. He reasoned that, since the wand was magical in nature and had created the Wand Lords, there was a chance they might easily dispel any magic attacks. Chuck agreed with the glow worm. He was a native after all.

It was a full day’s journey to the temple and Chuck killed three tree-birds just outside the solid stone structure. With the third kill, he felt a sudden explosion inside his skull and he knew that something had just been unlocked with his new experience level. It was a latent spell which he couldn’t name, but inherently knew what it did: Chuck could now add a significant boost of attacking power to his weapon for a short period of time.

After adjusting himself to his new level of experience, Chuck entered the temple feeling confident about how easy it would be to collect the sword inside.

Inside the temple was musty and dim. Thankfully, Degan provided some light with his glowing nature, but it wasn’t much. The monsters inside weren’t numerous or difficult. He didn’t even need to use his new power. With each kill, Chuck felt less power flow into him. Degan said it was because he was getting so much stronger than the creatures in the area, and that was a good thing. His fights with the Wand Lords would be much easier.

Upon entering the final temple chamber, Chuck saw a distinct blade lying on an altar. Standing to the side of the altar was a towering humanoid creature who appeared to be made of stone. Chuck wielded his stick and called on his new magic power… but it caused the stick to burst into flame and he was left with an ashy mess!

Chuck felt fear course through him as the stone monster moved forward. Degan urged Chuck to be swift and move around the monster to grab the sword quickly. The boy did and found it was entirely too heavy for him to actually hold in an offensive stance! Feeling like a fool, he moved away, dragging the heavy sword behind him just as the monster was turning to smash the altar.

Degan told the boy to have more courage, but Chuck only felt like hiding. The flow worm reminded the boy that he had his power spell at least, and Chuck focused his mind and power into the heavy sword. It didn’t make the weapon easier to wield, but it did cause the stone monster to falter for some unknown reason. Degan presumed to think it was because the monster was afraid, but for the firs time, Chuck thought Degan sounded unsure.

Grabbing the handle with both hands, Chuck tried leveraging his body and momentum so he could swing the heavy sword away from himself with hopes that it would eventually strike down the stone monster. At first, his aim was poor and he felt himself getting weaker with each attempted toss. With each throw, the monster would attempt to grab or strike at Chuck, causing him to falter. It was a grueling battle.

With time, Chuck noticed patterns with the monster's movements and was able to adjust the timing for his sword throws. He even remembered to power up the sword almost half the time. Finally he sent the sword flying true and it pierced the monster’s rocky chest. As the monster collapsed, Chuck felt power surge through his body.

Degan congratulated Chuck and the boy was proud to discover he was able to properly wield the sword now that the slain monster’s experience had given him the power to do so. The pair left the temple to head back toward the tower in the west. It was just after daybreak when they arrived again and Chuck expressed surprise that he still hadn’t felt the need to sleep a wink.

Degan warned Chuck that he might want to consider finding armor before encountering what was atop the tower. He helpfully suggested that a house deep in the northern forests might have some, but Chuck was determined to finally end this. He was tired of fighting creatures for power and he wanted to be away from the Wand World.

He scaled the tower’s stairwell with Degan silently resting on his shoulder, all the while encountering powerful beasts and small demons. A few health bits were scattered along the way, and their scarcity made had Degan continuously advising Chuck to leave the tower and collect more health outside before proceeding any further. But Chuck knew that leaving the tower might mean he had to battle the same monsters all over again.

At last, he came across an area that held a vast array of health bits and Chuck recognized it from his years of playing video games: this was the staging area where the hero could gather resources and prepare for the final battle with the area’s boss. Chuck was ready.

Upon opening the tall, heavy doors at the very top of the tower, Chuck was disturbingly surprised to find his own mother standing in the room! He immediately thought that she might have been drawn into the game and was being held captive, with Chuck having to save her from this area’s Wand Lord. Was that possible? Were other things pulled into the Wand World when he made his wish?

Looking blankly at the woman, he could tell that something was different about this woman. She was almost sinister in appearance. Degan quickly told Chuck that this was the Wand Lord of the Tower, and had used magic to adopt the guise of his mother to confuse him. With this information easily digested, Chuck enthusiastically wielded his sword and jumped into the fray.

The Wand Lord was quick to conjure a magic barrier before herself, causing Chuck’s sword to bounce off it. He swung again as her thin-lipped smirk appeared to judge his actions from behind the barrier. He felt a cold sweat along his back as a result.

What could be done? He asked Degan, but the glow worm seemed unsure as to how to proceed. Chuck then examined the room with the knowledge that there was usually something in the environment that could be used to defeat the enemy in a boss battle.

At last, Chuck noticed the large chandelier above and the rope supporting it which led back to a peg on the wall. Trying to maneuver the Wand Lord to stand beneath the chandelier with his swipes and wide slashes, he finally dashed toward the rope when she was beneath the metallic light source.

With a clean cut, the rope was severed and the chandelier fell toward the Wand Lord. She immediately created a barrier, but it was only enough to protect her from above. Chuck leapt in with the blade and pierced the Wand Lord’s body… but this time, it was different.

There was blood everywhere and it was warm on Chuck’s skin. The chandelier fell away to one side and the Wand Lord to the other, the sword deep in her chest.

Degan said nothing and Chuck braced himself for the inevitable surge of experience power, for the body to disappear, but it didn’t happen. And beside his ear, as if overcome with mania, Degan began to laugh hysterically and magically float before Chuck. Chuck asked what the glow worm found to be so funny, and Degan explained between whoops that Chuck had managed to really kill this Wand Lord, but that she had in fact also been his real mother!

Chuck felt sick with the explanation and looked down at the woman. She was no longer in her sinister garb, but in the ugly sundress she wore around the house in the summer. As Degan continued speaking, he began to grow longer and brighter and Chuck slowly realized that he wasn’t any glow worm, but the wand itself!

Degan was quick to remind Chuck about his absurd wish, that he wanted to play a game without a guide, and that Degan himself had been nothing but a guide this whole time. “Guiding you in the wrong direction, stupid human. So you could suffer from your own foolish wishes!”

The world around Chuck sparkled and shattered, and he quickly discovered he was in his bedroom. Before him lay his mother’s body, and he had no idea what to do. In his hand was the wand once again, inanimate but possessing a darkness he hadn’t noticed until now.

Could he make another wish with it, to revive his mother? He didn’t risk it as he felt it would only make things worse. The phrase Be careful what you wish for buzzed inside his mind and he began to sob uncontrollably. As a Wand Lord, his mother had been brutally stabbed in the chest with the sword, but here in the real world, she was motionless, her skin without color, and her eyes open wide and staring up through his ceiling, into oblivion beyond. It looked like she had been dead for hours and for no apparent cause.

He called his dad, then the police, and they came to take over the horrible situation. Chuck knew he could never play another video game ever again.


Word Count: 2,895
© Copyright 2024 Than Pence (zhencoff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316699-A-Boy-in-Wand-World