*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316956-Midget-Chaos
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2316956
Midget Chaos- 520 words
The air buzzed with excitement and the aroma of popcorn and cotton candy lingered, Joey stood at the heart of the show. At forty-eight, with a mane of greying hair and a weathered face that spoke of years spent under the big top, he was the quintessential ringmaster, commanding the attention of both performers and audience alike.

Tonight was meant to be a grand celebration, commemorating the historic merger of Barnum and Bailey's Circus. But as Joey surveyed the bustling backstage area, a knot of worry twisted in his stomach. Something wasn't right – he could feel it in the air.

The performers, usually brimming with energy and enthusiasm, seemed unusually tense. Acrobats whispered nervously amongst themselves, clowns exchanged furtive glances, and even the majestic elephants trumpeted with an air of unease.

Joey approached his longtime friend and fellow performer, Maria, who was busy adjusting her sequined costume. "Something's off tonight, isn't it?" he remarked, his brow furrowed with concern.

Maria nodded, her usually bright eyes clouded with worry. "I can feel it too, Joey. It's like there's a storm brewing, but I can't quite put my finger on it."

As the hours passed and the audience began to fill the seats, Joey couldn't shake the feeling of impending doom. The show went on as planned, with breathtaking acts of daring and skill dazzling the crowd. But with each passing moment, the tension behind the scenes grew thicker, suffocating in its intensity.

And then, it happened.

Midway through the performance, as the trapeze artists soared through the air with graceful precision, a deafening crash echoed through the tent. Panic erupted as the audience scrambled for cover, the rope had snapped...

With a sinking heart, Joey realized what just happened– someone had sabotaged the circus, intending to cause harm and chaos. All he could think about was how thoroughly he had checked each rope before they went up. He knew, without a doubt, that for an act like theirs, the ropes were fine.

Determined to protect his beloved troupe, Out of the corner of his eye he saw a black hooded man staring at him from above then running. Joey ran to confront the intruder, a fierce determination burning in his eyes.

In a tense showdown, Joey and the saboteur faced off, each refusing to back down. With a swift and decisive move, Joey managed to apprehend the culprit, revealing them to be a disgruntled former midget employee seeking revenge. The employee "sabbath" curled into a ball and rolled through Joey's feed in an attempt to escape but he scooped in right up in defeat.

As the order was restored and the threat neutralized, Joey breathed a sigh of relief, his heart swelling with pride for his circus family. Though the night had been marred by danger and uncertainty, the spirit of unity and resilience prevailed, proving that even in the face of adversity, the show must go on.

And as the final curtain fell and the applause of the audience rang out, Joey the forty-eight year old man did a triple back lip and the crowd went wild, ending the show.
© Copyright 2024 Kevster (kiwi.juice.420 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316956-Midget-Chaos