*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317039-The-Bentleys-Chapter-2
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #2317039
The second chapter.
CHAPTER TWO
In the following days things started disappearing. The servants left, one at a time, and all four of the butlers were dismissed. The governess and nanny also left, so the girls were alone when Mrs. Bentley left the house. Very soon they were only left with one servant, who was gone the next day. Mr. Bentley came home every day looking exhausted and disappointed. Mrs. Bentley's face was often streaked with tears. The Bentley children had no idea what was going on. Finally one night at dinner Mr. Bentley made an announcement, but little did they know that with three words the Bentley’s lives would change drastically.
“Children, I have some news. I will let you decide if it is good or bad.” Mr. Bentley took a deep breath and said, “I have lost my job, and…we are moving.”
“What?!” Alexandra, Beatrice, Charisse, and Evelyn shouted. Mrs. Bentley burst into tears, her dress was already quite damp.
Mrs. Bentley spoke with some difficulty,“We have one week to pack. Take only the things that are absolutely important.”
“Where will we go? Will we stay in town?” The mice’s mouths did not stop moving until Mr. Bentley pronounced,“Children, children, I know this is hard for all of you, but I’m sure we will be fine.” Mr. Bentley tried to sound confident, but everyone could tell that he was not sure himself.
Mrs. Bentley mustered her strength to tell the girls,“Alexandra, Beatrice, Charisse, go upstairs and pack. Evelyn, I will help you. George, I trust that you can assist me?”
“Of course, Frances. All right, let's all go and begin to pack.” Mr. Bentley said, feigning optimism.
So the Bentley family started packing. Alexandra, Beatrice, and Charisse stuffed four suitcases each as full as they could with clothes and dresses. Evelyn filled hers with playthings and dolls. Mrs. Bentley packed both hers and Mr. Bentley’s suitcases with only the necessities.
“Mother, I don’t believe you told us where we were going to stay.” Said Beatrice.
“Oh, well I asked Uncle John and Aunt Marie, but they said that they were too busy. So I asked, um, Aunt Henrietta.” Said Mrs. Bentley slowly.
“What?” Alexandra, Beatrice, and Charisse shrieked.
“Mummy, who is Aunt Henrietta?” Evelyn yelled over her squabbling sisters.
Mrs. Bentley answered, “Oh, yes, Evelyn, I’d forgotten we haven't seen her in seven years. Henrietta is your daddy’s aunt. She… was never quite…” she paused trying to find the right words, “...his favourite. So, we have never really seen her except at family gatherings, there was one four years ago, but that was during our time in France on a family vacation.”
“Mother, do we have to?” Said Alexandra.
“I don’t want to go!” Squeaked Charisse.
“I’m afraid so. We haven’t a choice. Until your father can find a job, or we find a house, Aunt Henrietta’s home was the only one that would welcome us.”
This was only one of the arguments and heated conversations that occured in Bentley Manor.
The very next day Mr. Bentley hired a cab to take the family to Aunt Henrietta’s house. The whole way there was quiet, except for the very friendly driver trying to make conversation.
After about an hour of silent driving they arrived at Aunt Henrietta’s house. The outside of the house might have been slightly pleasing to the eye, with the ivy covered brick walls, but all the Bentley’s, except Evelyn, knew that the pleasure of seeing a picture perfect old fashioned house would soon be spoiled by the presence of Aunt Henrietta.
“Is that her house? It doesn't look ugly.” Squeaked Evelyn.
“Just wait. You’ll see.” Said Alexandra unhelpfully.
The driver helped unpack their luggage, and drove off. Mrs. Bentley knocked, but there was no answer. The door slowly creaked as Mrs. Bentley pushed it open. “Ah, Henrietta?”
There was no answer but for an enormous growling sound. Evelyn squealed. Mrs. Bentley sighed in relief. “She’s only asleep, Evelyn. If I ring the doorbell she should wake up.” Mrs. Bentley reached for the doorbell, but Mr. Bentley gently took her hand.
“Best to let her sleep, dear.”
“Why?” Mrs. Bentley said.
“Just trust me. She would no doubt prefer that we just get settled in on our own.”
And that is exactly what they did. In the two more hours that Aunt Henrietta slept, the Bentleys found two extra rooms that did not seem to be occupied by piles upon piles of doilies, clocks, paintings of old and grumpy looking mice, and various decorations. The odd thing was, all of the furniture was upside down, and the doilies were spread across the floor in a rather slippery and accident-prone way. All of the clocks were either resting against the wall or hung on the ceiling, and the paintings filled almost every available space. They decided that Mr. and Mrs. Bentley would share a bedroom, and Evelyn would sleep in the same bedroom, on the small mattress they found hidden underneath the bed, and Alexandra, Beatrice, and Charisse would share the other bedroom. On his way down the stairs Mr. Bentley slipped on a doily, and unfortunately in doing so he woke Aunt Henrietta.
She jumped out of the large armchair and shook her fists boisterously.
“I’ll fight you, you rascally robbers trying to steal from a poor old maid, well I’m not like most old maids, mind you, so don’t you get any ideas. I’ll pound you to th-” she stopped. “Is that you Georgie? Where’s your wife Frances, why didn't you wake me earlier? You cheeky little mouse, I thought you were respectable mice, but it seems I’ve been proved wrong. ‘Ave you brought the children? Where are they? Oh, don’t tell me you ‘avent brought them, I’m quite disappointed in you Georgie. Oh goodness, there’s Frances, oh, well doesn't look like your years ‘ave been kind to you, wait there are the children, and ‘ere I thought that you said you didn’t bring them. Well alright then ‘ello girls. So ‘ow’s –” And then her discourse stopped and she dropped down to the couch, asleep. “Narcolepsy,” Mr. Bentley said. “She’ll just fall asleep at odd times.” The four girls just stared. “Come along,” Mrs. Bentley said gently. “Don’t worry. We’ll only be here for a short while, just until your father gets a new job.”
“Then will we go back home?” Evelyn asked hopefully. Mrs. Bentley did not answer.



© Copyright 2024 Lexi Silver (lexisilver at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317039-The-Bentleys-Chapter-2