*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317177-The-Basket-Day
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2317177
Flash Fiction
The Basket Day
I looked in my basket, two chocolate eggs, one jelly bean and one half of a marshmallow rabbit. I kept staring at it as if I’d wake up. But I kept not waking up.
Searching my mind I couldn’t find anything that said the Easter Bunny only brought candy to good little boys and girls. That was the Santa story, right? I was always very careful before Christmas. I thought Easter was a given. You go to sleep, then you wake up to a basket of yummies. Well, the basket is nice. What happened?
Suddenly a chill rushed through my body. My parents will know! They always make a big deal out of my Easter Basket when they get up! They’ll know something went wrong! If they ask me, they’ll know right away, especially if I try to lie to them. I can’t make up a story fast enough to cover not even getting a decent Easter Basket. They’ll be so disappointed in me. The Easter Bunny probably knows everything too, just like Santa! Why didn’t I know that? I never would have lied about stealing Randy’s lunch if I had known, or told everyone Jed just fell when he was coming up from gym, or, well, all the things. It was just for fun, but apparently the Easter Bunny knows…
Never again! Well, one more. I’ll tell my parents I think an animal got into my Easter Basket and ate all the stuff. Yes they won’t believe it, but I promise I will never lie and play pranks ever again.
And he didn’t, though the mice in the cellar stayed a whole year before they gave up and moved next door.


© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317177-The-Basket-Day