*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317399-The-New-Artwork
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2317399
Something odd in a museum. Contest entry.

George Berkstrom glared around the museum gallery and shook his head. The problem wasn't with the exhibits. The Greek statues and other artwork were still intact, along with the new tomb exhibit that had arrived this week. It's not that there were too few exhibits. The problem was there were too many. There were four new statues scattered about the room, and none of them belonged to the museum.

"How could they have gotten here?" he asked the security guard.

"I don't know, Mr Berkstrom," the guard replied. "I came through just after lunch and here they were."

"Are you telling me someone dragged four statues into this hall, and nobody saw anything? How is that even possible?"

"I don't know, sir," the guard said.

"Hm. It seems to me you haven't been doing a whole lot of guarding. Did you at least seal off the gallery as I asked?"

"Yes sir," the guard replied, trying to look vigilant. "The entry has been blocked off."

"Then who is that?" Berkstrom asked, pointing to a figure at the far end gallery. He could see what looked like a woman with her back to him, walking slowly past the statue of Perseus.

"I don't know sir," the guard said, squinting. "Maybe she was here already?"

"Well, perhaps she knows something," Berkstrom said as he strode towards her. As he got closer, he could see she was wearing a long white dress, and her hair was covered with a long scarf.

"Excuse me, young lady," he said. "Do you happen to..."

He stopped talking, sensing that something was wrong. It was the scarf covering her hair. It looked like the hair was actually moving underneath it. Then she turned and he looked into her eyes.

There was now a fifth new statue in the gallery.

© Copyright 2024 Eregnon (eregnon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317399-The-New-Artwork