*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317505-The-Equation-of-Destiny
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #2317505
Originally made for a class assignment and decided it was too funny to not use.
         
         
Made: March 4, 2024
The Equation of Destiny



         In the dark abyss of the caverns of PHYSICS, somewhere in Nowheresville, Nebraska, a lone college student powers through sleepless nights and caffeine-driven work assignments and ends up in a desolate room titled "Quantum Physics" with merely the skeletons of the past left behind (literally, there is a skeleton in the corner of the room).


         "What the... Where is this?" The student mutters aloud to themselves, a habit that others would look weirdly at. The student marches forward, very pointedly ignoring the skeleton in the room and makes a beeline to an inconspicuous desk with dust conveniently piling on a bright red book.


         The student brushes off the (supposedly) centuries worth of dust off the book and picks it up, squinting at the 3rd grader-like handwriting on the cover.


         "Eu...Euclidean Space and Four Dimensional Space..? What the H-E-double hockey sticks is this book?" They ask aloud, as if expecting an answer. "IT'S FOR THE FUTURE..." A mysterious booming voice answers, causing the student to startle and whip their head around to look for the source of the voice.


         "Who's there?! Show yourself!" The student pauses for a moment before adding, "Wait, no, I take that back-- Don't show yourself!"


         "COWARD..." The voice booms before falling silent, unbeknownst to the student, who remained very startled.


         "...For the future, huh...? If I look inside the book..." The student flips the book open, their eyes landing on a formula listed in the middle of the book, "..." As soon as the student spoke the formula out loud, the space around them seemed to distort, showing the euclidean space in real time and forming a hypersphere in front of their very eyes.


         But as quickly as it started, it ended just as fast, the space turning back to normal. "This... I understand it now... The set of points in Euclidean 4-space having the same distance R from a fixed point P0 forms a hypersurface known as a 3-sphere. This is part of the Friedmann-Lemare-Robertson-Walker metric in General relativity where R is substituted by function R(t) with t meaning the cosmological age of the universe. Growing or shrinking R with time means expanding or collapsing universe, depending on the mass density inside." It was like the student began speaking in tongues, reciting the information that was loaded into their mind upon staring at the ever expanding and collapsing universe.


         "I have to use this power for good... I have to tell everyone! The universe is about to collapse!" The student runs out of the classroom, and as soon as the door is closed behind them, the room dissolves into nothingness.


         The student travels out of the cavern, sprints down the cobblestone road, and jumps over fences to reach the college.


          "Everyone! The universe is about to collapse!"


          "What?! When?!"


          "In 22 billion years!!!!"


          "..."


          The student body ignored the student, who wallowed in despair, unable to express their pain of having known the future.





© Copyright 2024 Monster V. (hewhoreads at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317505-The-Equation-of-Destiny