*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318159-Beginnings
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2318159
Flash Fiction
Beginnings

Walking into the house, tired after a long night out, my husband and I were quiet. Mostly because we had complained about everything all the way home, agreeing to never set foot in Andrea’s house again! Unfortunately… she’s my sister…

As we walked in, I picked up the paper I’d forgotten to take in earlier, when Alex turned suddenly and whispered, “I heard a noise.” We stopped in our tracks.

Minutes passed; we heard nothing. We usually heard nothing, we don’t have kids, no pets, not even mice, but then, just as we started to relax, there it was again. It sounded like something being moved and scraping on the floor. It seemed to be coming from the kitchen.

Alex turned to me, eyes wide open, and put his finger up to his lips. We read each other’s minds. “Someone is in the kitchen, be quiet, walk slowly” he was saying, I nodded a “Yes, I will!” He turned and we walked slowly and quietly to the kitchen.

As we got to the doorway, we heard another noise. This time not at all like a burglar. this one was like a temper tantrum! “Open up!” came the small, but loud voice. The voice of Kenny Blake, our neighbor’s three- year-old.

I flipped on the light. There sat Kenny, on the floor, surrounded by my cookie jar, and lots of crumbs, and attempting to open another package not opened yet. He looked up at us without blinking an eye, and said, “Open this!” Alex and I looked at each other, and then burst out laughing.

I called Alex’s parents, they rushed over full of concern, and apologies, and took him home (with the cookies). That’s the night we decided we were finally ready for kids. Nine months later our life began.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318159-Beginnings