*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318161-You-should-own-2-pets-MAX-but-I-own-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Article · Pets · #2318161
Amusing short story on how I ended up with 4 pets instead of 2. If You Know, You Know
Cats of Dogs?

Answer quickly! Are you a cat person or a dog person?

Hold on to your answer. Ask your spouse "Cats or Dogs?" Hopefully they are on your team.

My spouse was not on my team. She is dog lady and I am cat man. Actually that's incorrect. She is pet lady and I am weak man. We both wanted pets in our home and originally there was a pet limit. Although, a limit was in place, neither of us knew who was tasked with enforcing that limit in our household. She knew she wanted pets NOW and I knew I wanted them ONE DAY.

We started off with taking in a single cat; he was an outdoor cat that just hung out at and around our local convenience store. He was cute. He was just cute enough that I guess that was the day that I became a cat man.

Our next pet was another cat. He was cute as well. We already had a cute cat so it was easy for me to reject her proposal to adopt him. However, she had an ace up her sleeve. I wish you could have seen her reveal her card. She informed me that this cat is not only cute but he is also blind. Her words zoomed into my ears, through my brain, pasted my logic, and down straight to my heart, "Well we HAVE to adopt him now. The poor bastard can't see how tightly he's roped us in.

That's how we ended up with 2 cats. At that point, I was more cat man than weak man. At that point, I also thought we were done adding animals to our family. I truly thought I would work, buy a house, have kids, get more cats every decade or two, and eventually retire as a simple cat man. I was wrong. I am wrong.

Within 3 months of getting that blind bastard we got a dog. This dog was neither blind nor cute; he was aggressive. He was just aggressive enough that I guess that was the day that I became a full blown pet man. You should understand that aggressive dogs are harder to scam- I mean convince- a family to adopt due to the higher chances of injury to a human taking place. If that happens, the aggressive dog will be put down in a passive way. Put down in a way that we reserve for some of the most heinous criminals in human society. It's a bit strange that you don't know a dog is aggressive unless and until they do something aggressive. That's one cold game of dice that we play with these creatures.

Regardless.

It didn't take much convincing from my spouse, the pet lady, to sway this weak man into accepting her proposal. It should be noted that in the 6 years that we've owned our aggressive dog, he has been cute, not blind, not aggressive, and very loving the entire time. I can't speak for the 1 year he was alive prior to our ownership but I imagine he was still cute back then as well. I do not know for certain. Forgive me if my facts are not consistent and he was in fact blind or not cute during that year.

...

Our 4th and I can't say final, because I am simultaneously a pet man and a weak man, pet was a 2nd dog. This dog was the only pet that I proposed to my spouse that we should adopt and keep. We found him on the side of the road as puppy and I just thought he was so brave standing near the oncoming traffic. He had the kind of bravery that is often displayed by the crows that dodge cars by a bull fighter's margin.
...
Or so I thought.................

Turns out the brave dog was actually scared out of his wits. The fear quite literally stunned him. The fear was why he appeared as brave as a crow. It was my perception that he was brave back then and that perception did not line up with the reality of it all in the slightest. I didn't beg my spouse to let us keep the dog. Actually I did beg her to keep him, just like a little kids begs for parents to let them keep a pet they find affinity towards. However, I begged in lowercase. I did not BEG IN CAPS. There is a big difference between begging and BEGGING. I'll humbly admit that I was a weak man at the time, but I wasn't being a WEAK MAN.

My head is held high with my love and appreciation for our animals but my freaking shoulders are hurting from twice the amount of animal that I ever wanted to own.

I BEG of you who wish to own more than 2 animals. Do not do it. It is entirely worth it but I urge you not to do it. Understand that you must have zero pets or 2 pets to be happy. A single pet is not adequate as Man's best friend needs a best friend that isn't man. Any amount higher than 2 pets will make you HAPPY. I warned you.
© Copyright 2024 The Weenie Hut General (therm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318161-You-should-own-2-pets-MAX-but-I-own-4