*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318418-Chapter-One---My-Fathers-Hat
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Western · #2318418
The freedom of the cowboys versus the fences of the stock-farmers
         Jacob turned his horse into the sunshine. He liked this view over the prairie - this was the largest field in the Texas ranch and you could not see the fences that scarred the landscape from just about any other angle. It was a reminder of the way things were, from before the railroads, the barbed wire fences of the stock farmers and their claims on the land.

         The wind blew irregularly across the tall brown grass drawing dynamic patterns in the pastures. A few sparrows darted and dived chirruping to each other in the Summer sunshine. The only sound was that of the wind and the breathing of the horse beneath him.

         The view reminded Jacob of his father and his words to him when he was only a little boy. It brought back the old days when his father was a ranny running Texas longhorns down the Chisholm trail to the railhead at Abilene.

         "There's a freedom in the journey, son, burnin' the breeze to chase some lost steed down, livin' under them stars lyin' on your velvet couch at night after fifteen hours in the saddle. I miss 'em days when life was as clean as the wind that blows 'hind the rains. Homesteaders are dull music for cowboys but times change and the corral dust blowing from the east is going to bury these lands and drive us cowboys down to the bone orchards."

         Jacob's father saw the changes coming for his friends and his lifestyle years before it hit but he stayed a cowboy to the last. He died in some shootout in the wire-cutting wars when cattlemen and stock farmers fought for the land. The stock farmers won that war and unemployed cowboys found work on the farms or were forced back east to the big towns there. Jacob's mother, with her three young children, became a grass widow dragging her rope for a man, finally lassoing a homesteader who had lost his wife in childbirth the year before. Jacob grew up on one of the largest farms. The barbed wire fences now closed in fields for horses and cattle and even some arable crops. But he loved the stories of the old days.

         His father had loved the freedom of the ride and the endless drifting beneath the blue skies but Jacob reflected the ranch was not that bad. A small church united the ranchers on Sundays, many of these were cowboys once and he loved to hear their tales, especially about his father who they described as the tall hog at the trough before he was killed. Jacob remembered a grey battered hat, strong leather boots and a Colt 45 in a belt around his waist. He remembered his father's blue eyes the color of the sky glittering in sunshine and always filled with a merriment about life and a humor about the things that would have destroyed a lesser man.

         They never saw the body though when he died. They found his boots beside a pile of ashes. The fire had killed most of the cowboys when the artillery shells exploded in the dry grass of the prairie where they fought. But a cowboy would never leave his boots behind so they all thought the father dead.

         Jacob saw a gap in the fence that lay around his stepdad's farm. He rode his horse toward it. The gap was large enough to ride a herd through and poles had been wrenched out of the ground along it. On the first pole when the barbed wire resumed its unbroken demarcation of their lands an old grey, battered hat sat on the pole. Jacob gasped recognizing it instantly, it was his father's hat!


Notes
© Copyright 2024 LightinMind (luminementis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318418-Chapter-One---My-Fathers-Hat