*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318423-Smeller
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2318423
Flash Fiction
Smeller

Runt smelled something. His first time out alone, and he was very excited… when he started… but not now. Now, he was just hungry.

It was a big day for a mouse, his first time out alone. He’d been waiting for this for a long time. He had three brothers and two sisters, they’d all passed the test, now hunting on their own.

Runt was a runt. That’s why everybody called him that, all the time. He was the last born, and a tad scrawny. Mom kept him wrapped up for a long while before he could even walk. At the time he loved it. Having Mom all to himself! But as things got busy, and exciting, he wanted to do what the other kids were doing! Unfortunately, he was still too small.

Mom told him not to worry, he would catch up quickly. It didn’t seem quick to him, but the day finally came. He finally got to go out hunting alone!

He’d been following this smell for a while, wondering if it was food, or just a fan blowing smells his way. He was so hungry everything smelled like food. His siblings would certainly have a great laugh over that…

Finally, near a wall he saw the overturned garbage can! It was SO full! He rushed over, following all the safety rules, then rewarded himself with a huge hunk of cheese.

Once full, there was still plenty left. He thought for a minute, but really wanted to share, rushing off to find his brothers and sisters.

Eventually finding them all, he sent them to dinner. Apparently, his body was a runt, but his sense of smell was amazing! And that night was the last time anyone ever called him Runt. From that day on, everyone called him Smeller!
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318423-Smeller