*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318546-ButIm-The-Umpire
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #2318546
Writing 4 Kids Contest
Cincinnati Reds

Girl and Boy Searching

But...I'm The Umpire!


W/C 1019


October,

World Series Month, and Jessie had the magic ticket. Well...Jessie believed it to be magic. This was a special day indeed. It wasn't his birthday, Easter, or even Christmas, but it was just as important. It was his name the officials had pulled from the big, red and white, spectator barrel to be the one to toss the coin and start the World Series.

         Jessie woke at daybreak and leaped from his bed. He had carefully laid out his clothes the night before. His white jeans, blue baseball cap, and glove. Hidden beneath his pillow was one of his Dad's Cincinnati red t-shirts. He didn't ask, but he knew he wouldn't mind. After all, he thought, he was officially part of the team today. He didn't know that his little sister, Macie, was watching him and copying his every move.
She, too, had laid out her pink shorts and a T-shirt. She grabbed her Dad's last team T-shirt and carefully placed it beneath her pillow. I'm the Umpire, she grinned.

Jessie knew his parents were awake. The warm aroma of waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausage floated throughout the house, along with the smell of his Dad's coffee. A low thud, followed by the rattle of the door window, came from the front door as the morning paper hit the door. The newspaper boy didn't miss; he never missed. Jessie waited a few more minutes before he quickly dressed. He knew his Dad would be reading the paper and wouldn't notice the red T-shirt—yet!

"Jessie...Macie...breakfast is ready, come and eat!" His mom's voice broke through his thoughts as it echoed throughout the house. Jessie ran from his room and skipped every other step down the staircase. Macie raced behind him. She mounted her magic horse in one smooth jump and slid down the banister, beating Jessie by two steps. She jumped down, turned, and stuck her tongue out at him. Jessie waved her on. Scrambling into the dining room, they each took their seats. Their breakfast awaited them, and Dad was buried behind the newspaper. Both sighed with relief.

"You both look nice. I like your choice of shirts." His dad's voice rose above the paper in one deep, even tone. "I think it's a good choice since you are officially part of the team today. Macie, what's your excuse?"

"But...I'm the Umpire," she replied, as tears began to well up in her eyes.

"Okay, then, it's fine. Hurry up and eat. We gotta leave soon." His Dad lowered the newspaper with a grin. Jessie relaxed his shoulders and leaned back in his chair, and Macie wiped the tears from her eyes. Both smiled and cleaned their plates of food.

         Jessie's jaw dropped upon entering the Great American Ballpark. It was gigantic. People anxiously dashed to and fro under a buzzing net of talking, laughing, and yelling.
Several long lines of hungry people supported the concession stands, which mixed together sent up puffs of what the Cantu family called the "Ballpark Aroma." This unique aroma, a mixture of popcorn, hotdogs, hamburgers, and tacos, was a once-a-year treat. Jessie and Macie couldn't wait to join in.

Jessie, Macie, and their parents followed the Ballpark Official towards the playing field. Holding hands and walking single-file through the thick crowd made Jessie laugh.

"What are you laughing about, Jessie?" His mom sounded just a bit annoyed by being bumped again and again by passing strangers.

"I was just thinking that we must look like a group of elephants walking and holding each other's tail." They all laughed as they finally made it out to the dugout.

         The stadium was filling rapidly with the people who decorated the concession stands. Some still munching on the ballpark potpourri, and some not. The owner of the "Reds," Mr. Castellini, and his head coach, Mr. Bell, ambered up and took their position behind the tall, black microphone. The roar of the crowd dulled to a murmur.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Thank you for coming here tonight and participating in, once again, the opening of the World Series. We have decided this year to hold a contest that would allow one of you, our loyal spectators, to do us the honor of the opening coin toss.

Jessie grinned as he heard a ripple of applause across the stadium.

"Please join us in welcoming the winner of our contest, Mr. Jessie Cantu." The stadium exploded with applause as Mr. Castellini and Mr. Bell turned to greet Jessie. He felt a hand take his shoulder and direct him to his place inside the circle formed by the two men and their field managers. Mr. Castellini reached into his pants pocket and withdrew a shiny gold coin.

Winking at Jessie, he said,"This is yours to keep, young man."

Jessie took the coin, made a fist, and placed the coin between his right forefinger and his thumb. Shaking like a leaf, Jessie held his arm straight out in front of him and kicked the coin with his thumb. All eyes followed. It whirled around and round as it went higher and higher. It stopped and like a lead whale it fell to the ground with a plop. Jessie scrabbled to where it should have been to see which side was up. It wasn't there! He looked all around and still didn't see it. He squatted down and began rubbing his fingers through the soft blades of grass. Macie, seeing that Jess was in trouble, ran over to help him look. Together they searched and searched.

Tears began to fill Jessie's eyes when Macie screamed.

"Look!"

Everybody turned just in time to see Macie shove Mr. Castellini out of her way.

"The coin! The coin, Jessie.!"

Jessie ran over, dragging Mr. Castellini behind him. "It's heads, Sir. See?'

Mr. Castellini announced the results to the crowd and motioned for the players to take their places. Macie grabbed the the microphone from hi m and shouted,

"PLAY BALL!" Mr. Castellini could only look at her.

Macie shrugged her shoulders, bent her elbows with her palms out;

"But...I'm the Umpire," she grinned.














© Copyright 2024 Chrys O'Shea (kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318546-ButIm-The-Umpire