*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318601-Working-Title
Rated: XGC · Fiction · Dark · #2318601
Young mercenary on a journey to uncover a treasonous plot against his fathers kingdom.
Working Title


(Authors note - The ~~ are just there to remind myself where I last left off. The reader can ignore those for now, and will be removed later.)

          "What do you mean all of the rooms are taken? Surely I can make it worth your while!" Izaedra said with a tired tone. After travelling well over 250 miles on foot, trudging through the whole of The Swamps of Dranlos. It was clear to see that he was losing his patience with the inn-keep. 'Maybe I should look elsewhere,' he pondered, 'Or I could just make him give me a room.' he continued, getting lost deeper into his thoughts.

"I am terribly sorry young sir, but with all of the recent attacks, many people 'ave lost their homes, and have to stay 'ere." replied the inn-keep. "Maybe I can-" he was interrupted by Izaedra's hands slamming down on the counter, causing people to stop their conversing and see what the commotion was.

"Listen old timer, I've travelled for nearly a week straight on foot, with little rest. There has got to be-" Izaedra had begun to say, but was cut off by a voice he heard behind him.

"If you need a bed and a shower, maybe we can make an arrangement." the voice had said. "On the condition you help me launch a counter attack on these foul beasts."

Izaedra turned to see what the man looked like, and looked him up and down. "My, my. Here I was thinking your kind was all but exterminated. How did you get so lucky to be allowed to live?" Izaedra replied with a smirk. As he looked the stranger up and down, he thought the man didn't look particularly intimidating, but he knew better than that. Izaedra could tell just by looking at the fair skin and white hair, that the man was from the Frozen Lands of Ashe Mande. It was a land known for it's harsh conditions, making the inhabitants fairly hardy.

The man let out a slight chuckle, "Maybe we could discuss that another time. Do you want to take me up on my offer or shall I retire to my room alone?"

"My name is Izaedra, from the Kingdom of Ulrathis" he replied to the man. "And you are?"

"I am Xyan'thal, hailing from Ashe Mande." he stated proudly. "Come," tilting his head backwards, showing Izaedra to follow him, "Let us speak privately." he finished as he turned around and waved his hand, slowly walking away.

Once they had arrived at the room on the second story of the inn, Izaedra pulled a chair from under the table and sat down to rest his weary feet, and motioned for Xyan'thal to do the same.

"So about that proposition-" Izaedra had begun, placing a leather knapsack at his feet.

"We speak no more until you wash off that rancid smell coming from your body." Xyan'thal interrupted him, pointing to the washroom. "Go and soak in the bath for a while, you need it"

Throwing his head back with annoyance, Izaedra replied "Can I just rest for a minute?"

"Absolutely not. I will not have my room stained with the smell of shit and sweat" Xyan'thal looked at Izadra's boots. "Take those off before you go any further. I do not want whatever is on your boots to mash into the floor."

Izaedra had lowered his head down to look at his feet, and then back at the man. "Are you sure you want me to do that? I'm not sure if you had heard me speaking to the inn-keep, but I just finished walking the whole of Dranlos, and I'm more than certain that I have brought some of it with me on the inside of my boots." he said as he let out a laugh.

"Well, it can't be any worse than how you smell now. Please, just do as I ask. I paid a premium to get this room and I want to keep it the way I found it." Xyan'thal murmured through his hands covering his mouth and nose.

"As you wish." Izaedra replied and he started to undo the strings keeping his shoes taut against his feet. Once he had gotten the final piece of cloth holding his boots to his feet, he reached to the back of his boot pulling it off in one swift motion, letting some of the mixture inside drip out. He looked up at Xyan'thal "I told you I would have some of the swamp in here," he chuckled.

Xyan'thal sighed, pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration, shook his head and walked into another room. As he walked away to grab something to wipe up the mess that was made on the floor, he asked from the other room "Could you try to be more careful with the other boot?" He re-entered the main room, and tossed Izaedra a piece of linen to clean the disgusting mixture, plugging his nose once again. "By all that is unholy, hurry up and get washed before I wash you myself"

Izaedra nodded as he cleaned up the mess beneath him. "You're the one that offered me a place to wash up and rest. Could you not smell me as we were talking at the bar?" he replied as he started to take off his other boot.

"No, I could not. The smell of ale and meat was too heavy in the air. Now that we are alone in this confined room-" he started as he turned around to the wall to open the only window, "-I'm regretting the offer" he finished with a chuckle. "Those boots are likely to be ruined. I hope you brought some coin with you to buy new ones at the shop in town. Throw them out the window and I will let you use a pair of mine until we can get you a new pair.

"Aye, I brought some with me. Though I hadn't planned on spending it on such items, but now that I have them off," Izaedra started to say with a furrow in his brow and winced eyes, "I think that you are right." He walked over to the window and looked out to make sure nobody was beneath the window, and tossed his ruined boots out of it.

Xyan'thal released his breath that he had been holding as Izaedra walked by with his spoiled footwear. He looked at where Izaedra was sitting and noticed a trail of wetness behind him. He sighed and said with a slight annoyance in his tone, "Clean up your footprints please and get in the bath"
~~
Izaedra reluctantly wiped up the rest of the mixture, threw the wet rag out of the window, and asked Xyan'thal where the washroom was. Xyan'thal pointed to the room, which was through the bedroom. Izaedra nodded and thanked him for letting him wash up. Once in the washroom, be began to strip and take his armor off, which wasn't much. All he had on was a single shoulder pad on his right side that linked together like dragon scales, and reached down to the middle of his bicep. He also had a small, yet thick, piece of leather covering his torso, that seemed to be stained with blood, and two metal bracelets that were thin, but effective, and covered the whole of his forearm. With all of his armor off, his undergarments soon followed, being thrown to the other side of the room.

Once fully nude, he stretched his whole body, closed his eyes, and let out an exhausted sigh. 'Time to finally relax.' Izaedra thought to himself. His body was muscular, yet lithe, like a duelist. In the life he left behind, he was the co-commander of his fathers army. He had multiple small scars on his abdomen, and one large one on his back, going from his right shoulder down diagonally to his left hip. Which was to be expected from a young man who knew nothing other than war. Not much hair covered his body other than his armpits and pubic area, but was a shade of brown not like the dirty blond hair that set upon his head. It was of medium length that covered half of his forehead and ears, and had a very slight wave. He ran his fingers through it to get any lose debris that had been sitting in there from his journey.

He turned the tap that was on the reservoir of water, and the liquid had started to flow out. It wasn't warm like it was in his fathers castle, but he didn't care at this point. All Izaedra wanted was to get clean and not move for more than fifteen minutes. He fully submerged himself in the cool water for a couple of seconds. He then peaked his head back out of the water, which he only brought out his nose up, and opened his eyes back up. They were a shade of blue which almost matched the water itself. Izaedra sat and relished the peace and quiet, closing his baby blue eyes again.

In the other room, Xyan'thal sat quietly in the chair opposite to where Izaedra was. He pondered to himself 'He must have a weapon, right? No one would be crazy enough to cover such distance with no protection other than armor.' He scratched his head as he was thinking and removed the thin piece of cloth that held his hair into a small tail. It was longer than Izaedra's hair, reaching down to his shoulders and was almost white, but still had a tone of blond to it and was as straight as an arrow. He shook his head to help the hair fall into place 'I wonder if the boy is even strong enough to fight these beasts. He looks as if he just hit manhood not but a year ago' he continued in his head. He closed his emerald green eyes, which all people of Ashe Mande had, and rubbed them with his right thumb and forefinger a few times out of exhaustion. He decided he would go back down to the bar counter and grab the two of them something to eat and drink while Izaedra finished cleaning himself.
~~



© Copyright 2024 Jared S (juggsjewdy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318601-Working-Title