*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318756-The-Unsatisfied--Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #2318756
A boy and his family fight to survive the night against monstrous entities. 3734 words
Chapter 1




         “Hurry!“

         My mom desperately cried to me the second she saw me slow down. The terrain was too rough, the bushes poked at me, and the air was so dense. I could barely breathe, it felt like fear had me in a chokehold, gripping tightly onto my neck. My adrenaline was the only thing pushing me forward, that and my mom’s cries. I could feel all the small branches and sticks making small cuts on my ankles. We weren’t the only ones running, the squirrels were sprinting up the trees in a desperate attempt for survival too. The sun was disappearing behind the tall trees and signaling for “them“ to come out. I could hear their rage bellow through the mist. Why are they always so angry? They knew we were in the area. Behind us black mist was weaving through the brush and branches. The mist was slow, so maybe we’ll be able to outrun it. No one has ever been able to outrun those things though. Is it happening, am I going to die?

         “Over there! Get into that car!”

         This time my dad screamed. He pointed to the left and I saw an old car covered in dark, green moss pressed against an old tree. Its front windows were busted out and the seats were charred. The front hood was destroyed, the two front tires were completely gone, and it smelled like mildew. Rust covered the majority of the sedan barely allowing me to see that the car was once silver. It had clearly been in a crash and abandoned a long time ago, but in this moment it was our lifeline. I ran up to the car and attempted to open the front passenger door but it didn’t budge. I put both my hands under the door handle and aggressively jerked my body forward and backwards in hopes to get the door open. The only thing I did was make myself dizzy and nauseous. My dad dropped the backpacks that had our food and essentials onto the muddy ground and tried to yank the door open himself. The door was completely jammed. I then felt my dad pick me up and toss me through the door window. A shard of glass that was leftover from the shattered window sliced my stomach on the way in.

         “Aaaahh!” I shrieked as I plopped onto the moldy seat.

         My mom was already in the back seat holding my baby brother who was screaming to the top of his lungs. They climbed in through the door behind the driver’s seat that was already unlocked. Before my tears reached the bottom of my face my mom said, “Leo hide under the glove box now!” She had tears pouring down her face and her voice was weak. Her eyes were wide and her body trembled in sheer panic. She was gripping my brother so tightly I’m sure he’ll have a bruise on his back later. As I crawled down, I could see my dad running around the car with big branches in his hands. He was covering the car up with as much brush as possible so they wouldn't be able to see us. The black mist was getting closer and closer to us, we were running out of time.

         I got down into a fetal position under the glove box, I was small enough to perfectly fit into it. My dad always said I was small for an 8 year old and to not let the community kids pick on me about it. As much as I hated comments like that from my peers, I really wished I was with them right now. The fresh wound on my stomach was stinging so bad, but being balled up helped to ease the feeling a bit. My mom began covering me up with the backpacks my dad had handed to her through the window. They were heavy and wet and I was forced to take deeper breaths to adjust to the weight that was pressed against me. I scooched my head a bit so I could see my mom and brother through a small gap in the luggages.

         The sound was now muffled and I couldn't make out what my parents were saying to each other because one of the backpacks was lying on top of my head. It was as if I was covering both my ears with my hands. I could hear my heart thumping and my chest felt tight. My ribs were already becoming sore due to the awkward placement of the baggage. Small bugs ran across my face and the funk of a rotting car whiffed up my nose on every inhale. My brother was still crying so I just kept saying “shhhhh,” from underneath the backpacks to calm him and myself. He just turned 8 months a couple of days ago, so I think fear is a new thing for him. I’m pretty sure he didn’t hear me though because my parents were much louder than me.

         “Get in David please!” my mom desperately cried. I heard multiple bumps and grunts from my dad shortly after. It sounded like he was climbing in from the back window. He dropped himself inside and immediately said, “get down, get down!” I was able to get a glimpse of my mom laying herself on the floor of the back seat with my brother. My dad covered them with a blanket and some more brush from the trees. I’m guessing he laid down and did the same for himself. I could hear my mom hushing my brother from underneath the brush, I think it was working because my brother’s cries began to fade.

         “Everyone just stay still and quiet no matter what, okay?”, my dad whispered. “Leo don’t move until we tell you”, he demanded. His breath was short and I sensed uncertainty in his words. I don’t think my dad was confident that us hiding in the car was good enough. The luggage was pressed against my chest so much that I was barely able to get a word out to confirm I heard him. I was too scared to speak anyways.

         Our community was ambushed by the same things that were heading towards the car. We had a curfew, all community members were supposed to be within the guarded establishment by 5:30 pm. It was the rule and for a long time everyone followed it. But a couple days ago some of the men returned past curfew and desperately tried to re-enter the community. The Watchers were in charge of keeping eye on the activity outside the walls and were banned from opening the entrance gate after the curfew. I liked their job, I wanted to be one of them when I grew up. Sometimes my dad had to be a Watcher and keep everyone safe too. But, this time the Watchers made a big mistake. They opened the gate for the men who begged to be let back in. They must’ve thought they’d be able to get them in before those things got to them, but the gate was big and heavy, so it was too slow.

         All of them got in. They massacred the community within minutes. They screeched and scowled at families before ripping them into pieces. They crawled on top of roofs and busted in through doors to gain access to humans. Inside buildings and outside in the field these things broke my friends and neighbors into smaller chunks so they could consume them in bite sizes. Hearing the people I’ve known most of my life scream in agony and beg for help was the worst part of all. My parents were able to sneak me and my brother through our basement tunnel which led us to a spot just outside the community walls. An old, dark green truck was parked there and we were able to escape and get out in time, but we were barely able to pack anything and the truck was already half empty on gas.

         We drove for two days and Dad thought we would have enough gas to get us to an abandoned hotel that was on route today, but the truck broke down. He had tried to press on the gas so we could arrive at the hotel faster since the sun was already setting, but the truck gave in. My parents immediately grabbed the little belongings we had and told me we had to run into the woods to try and find somewhere to hide before the things came out. The roads are the worst place to be when they come out because they seem to believe that’s where they’ll find their next meal. We went from a broken truck on the road, to a broken sedan in the middle of the woods, everything changed so fast today.

         As I laid in discomfort under the glove box, the sun vanished and there was only darkness. I couldn’t see anything, but I felt the cold, damp air creeping into the car. All I heard was those things ripping through the trees and their deep growls surrounding the area. Their cries for blood and their frustration over their hunger took up most of the noise. Tears trickled out the side of my eyes because this is the closest they’ve ever been to us. I’m so scared but I can’t let my breathing get out of control because then I’ll be too loud. They were so big, every step they took vibrated the car and it hurt my shoulder. The vibrations were making the backpacks on top of me slide into odd positions, making it even harder to breathe.

         The stench from the vehicle and the creatures outside made it difficult to breathe too. I wanted to throw up so bad, I just kept gagging as quietly as possible. My mouth was becoming watery, so I had to repeatedly swallow my spit which had been the only liquid I’ve had all day. A wave of those things passed through for probably 10 minutes. They sniffed, they crawled, they leaped from tree to tree, they shouted at each other, but they didn’t find us at all. It had been completely silent for at least 2 hours before I began to yawn. My parents were so quiet, it’s as if I was there alone. I could only hear crickets, frogs, and the soft murmurs of my brother’s breaths. There was a slight breeze blowing and the temperatures were continuing to drop. My spine kept shivering, but I was happy my mom put me under all the luggage because I think it was helping with trapping some of the heat.

         As tired and terrified as I am, I’m so proud of my little brother for staying quiet. I’m sure he’s sleeping because he is never this quiet even on a good day. My mom must be keeping him warm and calm back there with her hug. My mom has the best hugs. She was a school teacher when we were in the community and she always comforted the sad kids with her hugs. She always had a way of brightening everyone’s day with her warm brown eyes and her storytelling. This morning when we were on the road, she said that when we got to the hotel she was going to tell me how she and my dad first met. Apparently, it’s a long and crazy story that requires food and comfortable seating, things we barely had in that junk of a truck.

         However, today was the most afraid I’d ever seen my parents. Both they’re eyes have never been so wide and gaunt before. I don’t think I’ll get to know how they met tonight. I hope when the morning comes we’ll be able to get to the hotel during the daytime, so we can have real shelter and maybe there will be food. The things don’t like daylight so that’s the only time we can travel. Until then, I guess we all will have to sleep in this horrible car tonight. My eyes got heavy and my yawns were very persistent. I tried to fight sleep, but my eyes surrendered to exhaustion. The remainder of the surrounding sound slowly faded out as I drifted to slumber on the gross car floor.

#


         “Waaaaaaaah!” I jerked up to a howling cry being let out by my brother in the back seat. I was unaware of where I was for a moment because it was pitch black and freezing. How long have I been sleeping? What time was it? As I became more conscious, the weight of the luggage reminded me that I was still hiding in a janky car.

         “Shhhhh, quiet Liam, please!” I heard my mom cry.

         That’s when it hit me, we were in danger. My brother needed to shut up so they wouldn’t come back. I don’t know how long it’s been but if the sun isn’t already out then it hasn’t been long enough. I started to panic and so did my dad.

“Shhh quiet! Be quiet!” he cried.

         My brother wouldn’t let up though, he was cold, hungry, and probably confused, he had no idea what he was doing to us though. I could hear my mom crying and trying to cover my brother’s mouth to muffle his voice, but it was still too loud. My parents were bumping against the passenger seat, moving about trying to find things to help cover my brother up so he would be less audible. Nothing was working. Then a distant screech could be heard through the crisp air, it was them, they heard us, they knew we were here. I fearfully shouted, “Mom!” I felt so helpless and started to squirm under the backpacks. I thought if I got one of Liam’s toys out and threw it to them it would help. My dad heard me moving and making noise.

         “Leo don’t move dammit! Stay quiet!” He shouted.

         “But I can get Liam’s to-”

         “No, don’t do anything and just be still!” My dad cut me off and pleaded for me to stop.

         I began to cry because I knew…I knew we were done for. The once distant screech was now just around the corner and it didn’t come alone. Additional growls could be heard sprinting through the bushes eagerly closing in on us. It was so dark there was no difference between when my eyes were open or closed. However, I was able to tell that we were surrounded by the black mist. They bring that mist with them to disorientate you and make you sick. The mist emits a foul smell that can begin to make your lungs burn if within it for too long. We were already trapped though, they already won.

         Liam continued to wail, my mom hopelessly cried, and my dad said nothing. My own cries were getting silenced by all the crap that was on top of me. It was far too quiet outside, the only sounds were that of my family’s sorrow and the whipping winds through the towering trees. Everything became still, it was a long excruciating pause of nothingness. The things weren’t moving or communicating like they usually do, they were just watching us. Then out of nowhere the wind completely stopped and a tree branch snapped from above slamming on top of the car. The roof caved in and pinned my parents to the bottom floor, preventing them from moving. The driver side rear door got yanked off violently, exposing my mom to the harsh outdoor elements. She hollered to the highest pitch her voice could go and one of the creatures hollered back at her. It grabbed one of her legs and ripped it off. Her blood splattered all over the interior and the scent of blood began to overpower the moldy smell that was once there.

         “Lisaaaa!” My dad called for my mom but he wasn’t able to move to help her.

My mom cried out in agonizing pain and before she could gasp again it grabbed the rest of her body and jerked her viciously out of the car. My mom screamed again and I could tell she was high in the trees because it was like she was hovering right over us. Her scream became strained and a loud snap happened. Then she went silent. I let out a quiet bawl of despair because I knew my mom just died. Shortly after, my screaming father started yelling my brother’s name. Liam was somewhere outside the car because his cries were no longer in the vehicle, my mom must’ve dropped him when they took her. The back door on the passenger side was then forced off by another one of those things. It grabbed my dad and pulled him through the mud. The monster began to fracture every part of my dad’s body. Crack after crack, snap after snap, I envisioned what I saw happen to my old neighbor happening to him. I think they were breaking him to pieces so they could feast more easily.

         I threw up and almost fainted under our belongings. I ached in pure anguish. They’re gone! They’re all gone! Please stop, please make it stop is all I could think. I could still hear Liam crying and at this point I couldn’t take it anymore. I covered my ears and kept crying to myself. I have to stay still and stay quiet like my dad told me, I have to listen to him. Although my ears were covered, I was still able to make out the exact moment they got to my brother. A large slam hit the ground and it shook the car, I don’t know what it was but my brother fell silent afterwards. It was quiet again and it was more chilly than before because now both the back doors were gone. No more cries but I could hear them chomping and grinding their teeth through bones. They were so satisfied, so soothed, their hunger was gone and they were no longer angry.

         Their deep growls and squeals continued for another hour. One by one they walked away from the car and into the dark woods, taking the black mist with them. I laid in my own vomit and urine underneath the glove box for hours. My body shivered and my teeth clattered onto each other trying to generate body heat for me. The wind came back and so did the crickets and frogs. My face was swollen from all the weeping and I was weak, broken, and devastated. My throat was sore from the cold air and sour fumes that filled the car. My body ached from being in a fetal position for hours on end but I wouldn’t dare move and risk making noise. I don’t want to move at all. I want to stay here forever, I don’t want to see what’s outside. I don’t want to see what those things did to my family. Maybe I'll freeze tonight, maybe I’ll fall asleep and never wake up. My head was throbbing and although it was pitch blackness, I closed my eyes to ease the pain.

When I opened my eyes again there was a soft white glow above me. I slowly moved my head so I could look through the small gap between the backpacks and realized the sun was rising. I heard the birds chirping and flying from branch to branch. My head was still throbbing but I knew I needed to get out of this car. I needed water, food, and fresh air because I had been inhaling the scent of mold and rust all night. I was afraid to leave knowing there was going to be an unpleasant surprise for me. However, if the sun is out, I need to try and get help or find shelter before it sets again or else I’ll go through this all over again.

I shimmied my way up from under the luggage onto the bloody passenger seat. My eyes burned when the light hit them and I was in a daze for a moment. I blinked multiple times to get my eyes to clear up so I could see what was in front of me. I looked out the window and saw blood everywhere, along with scattered body parts. It was my dad. I began to weep all over again as the sight of seeing the grizzly reality of what occurred last night hit me. I carefully crawled out of the same broken window that had cut me when I was first thrown into it. I struggled to get out without hurting myself again, but managed to avoid receiving another wound. I dropped onto the mud and looked at the crime scene a bit longer. He was gone, he was really gone. I made my way over to the other side of the car expecting to find my mom, but she was nowhere to be found. They must’ve taken her or maybe she’s stuck in a tree somewhere. I don’t want to know anyways, I can't bear it. A large stone was next to the car that wasn’t there before. Blood was spilled from under it and I was able to put together what it was. That loud thud that stopped my brother’s crying was this stone. They dropped it to silence him.

They’re evil! I hate them! The tears continued like rain on my face and my knees buckled. I dropped to the ground and placed my left cheek onto the cold stone. I thought I had heard my brother’s heart beat, but it was just my own heart pumping and echoing through my ears. Somehow my heart still beats, somehow I’m still alive. I listened to my dad and it saved my life, but what is it worth without my family? I’m alone in this world now, a reality I don’t think I can truly face. I’m lost and there’s limited food in the backpacks. I can’t do this, I just can’t do this. My thoughts went a mile a minute and the sun continued to move in the sky. At some point I will have to get up and figure out what I’m going to do next. For now, I’ll mourn my family’s resting place.
© Copyright 2024 Niminy Piminy Nisha (niminyp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318756-The-Unsatisfied--Chapter-1