*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318804-The-Plot-Thickens
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2318804
Flash Fiction
The Plot Thickens

Sitting on a bench at the park. I practically live here. There’s not a lot of easy walks for old ladies. Easy as in flat, no hills, no neighbors who want to chat… no pets who come out barking, then their owners come out…and seeing an old lady, feel required to chat. Basically, I need a cave but I don’t have one, and you probably can’t get my daily required steps in, in a cave, anyway. So, the park.

I have a favorite bench, its off the popular walk, and near trees so not many people pass. Mostly dog walkers because it’s close to the parking area. Dog walkers, generally, never want to chat.

Today as I sat in my ten-minute resting place, I suddenly heard a voice. It seemed to be coming from the trees, or at least the bushes at the edge, it said, “I have a message for you.”

I should have been scared, but it sounded more like an adventure! I immediately got up and went over to find whoever was talking!

It was a disappointment, of course. A toy of some kind that had buttons that spoke sentences. Probably scared a squirrel to bits when he stepped on it! I chuckled at the thought. There was nobody anywhere around, so I took it home.

It had about twenty random sentences. I have no idea how it helps kids… but now it helps me! Anytime someone calls or comes to the door, I push a button and as the machine talks, I tell whoever that I have company! It’s my “get out of chatty talk free” box!! I just love it!

Unfortunately, right now I have to figure out how to put new batteries in… I may have to ask Frank next door... The plot thickens…
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318804-The-Plot-Thickens