*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318820-Dinosaur-Dreams
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2318820
Benjamin makes new friends when he dreams. Word Count: 616
Benjamin was a little boy who loved dinosaurs more than anything! His room was like a dinosaur museum- posters covered the walls, toy dinosaurs were scattered all over, and his favorite dinosaur pajamas always smelled a bit like crayons. His favorite book was a big, old one about dinosaurs, with pages worn soft from being read so many times.

He knew about the mighty Tyrannosaurus Rex, or T-Rex for short, with its giant head and scary-sharp teeth. He knew about the Brachiosaurus with its super long neck, tall enough to eat leaves from the highest trees. He even knew about the small but clever Velociraptor, a dinosaur with feathers! Benjamin loved to imagine himself a dinosaur explorer, finding fossils in secret caves or even hatching a dinosaur egg in his backyard!

One night, after a story about a dinosaur egg hunt, Benjamin snuggled into bed. He thought about all the amazing dinosaurs as his eyes grew heavy. Then, his room started to change! His dinosaur poster flickered, the colors growing brighter. The walls seemed to melt away, and a big jungle filled his room. The air was warm and smelled strange, like wet leaves and flowers. Instead of his clock ticking, he heard a low rumbling sound, like thunder far away.

"Where am I?" Benjamin wondered. Was this a dream?

The rumble turned into a loud roar! Benjamin turned around, his heart pounding. A giant Tyrannosaurus Rex came crashing through the trees, running right at him! It was as big as a house, with scary eyes and teeth like giant knives. Benjamin was too scared to even move!

But then he remembered his dinosaur books! He knew all about T-Rex. "Wait!" he yelled. "Don't eat me! We can be friends!"

The dinosaur stopped right in front of him, blinking its big eyes. "Friends?" it asked. Its voice was deep but surprisingly soft.

Benjamin nodded quickly. "Yes! I know who you are. You're Rex, short for Tyrannosaurus Rex. You're the king of the dinosaurs!"

Rex tilted his big head. How did this tiny creature know his name? "How...do you know that?"

"I read about you!" Benjamin said. "And I know you have tiny arms, but they're super strong!" He giggled and flexed his own arms.

Rex let out a booming laugh that made the leaves shake. He and Benjamin spent the whole night talking. Benjamin told Rex about cars, airplanes, and ice cream (which sounded really weird to the dinosaur). Rex told Benjamin about hunting dinosaurs and what different roars meant. He even showed Benjamin some funny dinosaur dance moves, stomping his big feet and swishing his tail!

Just then, a new sound filled the air- a gentle whooshing and flapping. A Pterodactyl, with huge leathery wings, swooped down from the sky! It landed with a soft thump, blinking its beady eyes at Benjamin curiously.

"This is Pete!" Rex said proudly. "He's my flying friend! He tells me where the best food is."

Pete squawked a greeting, and Benjamin waved shyly. Before he knew it, a Triceratops came lumbering by, its three pointy horns gleaming in the moonlight.

"And here's Cera!" Rex announced. "She's super tough!"

Cera shook the ground with a friendly headbutt and chirped hello. Benjamin felt a little braver now. He had so many new dinosaur friends!

As the sun started to rise, Benjamin felt sleepy. The jungle disappeared, and his room came back into view. Rex, Pete, and Cera were gone. With a big smile, Benjamin jumped out of bed. That was the best adventure ever! He couldn't wait to tell all his friends about his dinosaur pals. Maybe, if he was really lucky, they would visit him again in another dream!


© Copyright 2024 Krista of House Mormont (krista at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318820-Dinosaur-Dreams