*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319307-A-Reflection-on-a-Leadership-Practicum
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #2319307
A look back at work done to complete a leadership practicum

I used a few articles from previous DHA courses to complete my leadership practicum. From DHA 801, I used the article Helping People Change by Boyatzis, R. E., Smith, M., and Van Oosten, E. According to Boyatzis et al. (2019), change is a continuous journey, and long-term success requires sustained effort. I found some valuable insights from the article. One key takeaway is the importance of reflecting on and expressing one's vision, as an emotional connection to goals can drive change. From DHA 802, I used the article Project Communication from Start to Finish: The Dynamics of Organizational Success—informal Interpersonal Communication Ch 4, by G. E. Haynes. According to Haynes (2019), whenever trust exists, individuals are more confident in each other's abilities and intentions, leading to teamwork, cooperation, and collaboration, which are essential for achieving shared goals. From DHA 806, I used the article Strategy under Uncertainty by Courtney, H., Kirkland, J., and Viguerie, S. In their study, Courtney et al. (2020) emphasize the significance of having an adaptable and flexible strategic plan in a fast-changing and unpredictable business environment. They assert that traditional strategic plans are often too rigid and may require revisions when dealing with high levels of uncertainty.

When implemented over the last few weeks, the recognition and reward program went as planned. The success materialized because the team had a thorough communication plan highlighting transparency and inclusivity. Data gathering methods were foolproof with conducting regular employee surveys, monitoring participation rates in training programs, and tracking absenteeism using HR records. Key indicators of success include higher employee satisfaction rates, improved participation in training programs, and a significant decrease in absenteeism. However, when implemented, the leadership development program proved challenging. This occurred because training programs started sluggishly, as many department supervisors and leaders clashed with other obligations. To address the challenge, I could encourage frequent communication forums. This would help promote a culture of adaptation and continual improvement and strengthen policies that support work-life balance. To ensure improved or enhanced outcomes, I would reshape the communication forums, introducing a bottom-up style of communication and training programs to promote a culture of adaptation and continual improvement. This would effectively give the entire staff a voice in the organizational goals and employee well-being to embed the shift in the managerial ethos. It would ensure that the beneficial effects on staff satisfaction and patient care become a lasting part of PHS's corporate culture.

Accountability Partners Reflection:
Our Accountability Partners are linked through the Microsoft Team Platform and communicate via chat. Hence, we formed a group of three prior to the first Zoom class. Our group of three previously worked on a project in a group of seven, so when one of the team members reached out to me, I was willing to accept because I knew her competencies and value as a team member. I took the opportunity to invite another hardworking team member, and he accepted. The process was successful because we had shared commitment.

For our group norms/expectations, my accountability team agreed to set clear deadlines for posting responses to discussion board questions and providing feedback to accountability partners. We made regular check-ins to offer support to one another. We encouraged mutual respect, prompt communication if there were any difficulties meeting deadlines, and support and encouragement. The process was successful because we committed to the agreed-upon norms and expectations.

The feedback I received from my accountability partners was always timely and inspiring, as they always showed and guided me to see other perspectives. The feedback I received enabled me to adjust. In Week 2, I posted on Discussion Post Q3 and mentioned that I had received the lowest score on the imperative "Manage your team." My partner gave me feedback that suggested I set specific goals and consistently maintain communication channels with my team. Although this suggestion may seem simple, it has proven highly effective and challenged me to think more deeply about my managerial skills. The feedback enables me to adjust before finalizing deliverables, acting like a second “lens.” The positive reinforcement fostered more confidence in my approach, while the challenges allowed me to create a better understanding of the various issues, stretching my thinking and promoting growth. My accountability partners acknowledged the new learnings and insights gained from reading my posts as we all highlighted the effectiveness of our communication and knowledge sharing within the team, enriching collective understanding and performance.

The feedback I provided to my accountability partners was timely and informative. I challenged one of my partners during week five on Discussion Post #4 when my partner wrote that he is comfortable addressing the adversarial tactic of “slowing down the organization.” I offered a perspective that employees’ resistance to change from old to new technology could be because of increased anxiety levels or technophobia. I shared a few resources our group could use to show that reducing technology anxiety can boost comfort levels. I ensured they had a second perspective on their responses to discussion forum questions. The feedback aimed to reinforce positive aspects of their thinking while also challenging and stretching their ideas for further growth. Additionally, I acknowledged my partner’s theme, “If you are not changing, you fall behind.”

Advice to Future DHA 809 Cohorts:
Now that I have finished the DHA 809 course, I advise the new DHA 809 Leadership Practicum cohort always to be open to learning and improving, as influential leaders must adapt and grow with the changing world. Build strong relationships with your team; trust and collaboration are essential in any setting. Develop strong communication skills, try to lead by example, and embrace diversity of thought and background, as it leads to better decision-making and innovation. I advise them to stay resilient, stay humble, seek feedback from your team and others to identify areas for improvement, and finally, be open to constructive criticism and use it as an opportunity to grow.


References
_Boyatzis, R. E., Smith, M. & Van Oosten, E. (2019). Helping people change: Coaching with compassion for lifelong learning and growth. Harvard Business Review Press Boston, Massachusetts.
_Courtney, H., Kirkland, J., and Viguerie, S. (2020). Strategy under Uncertainty. Harvard Business Review.
_Hynes, G. E. (2019). Project Communication from Start to Finish: The Dynamics of Organizational Success. Informal Interpersonal Communication Ch 4. Harvard Business Publishing.






© Copyright 2024 Claude H. A. Simpson (teach600 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319307-A-Reflection-on-a-Leadership-Practicum