*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319316-The-Great-Witness-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by brom21
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Supernatural · #2319316
A princess, released from a curse, takes up the task left to her to share a message.
5,986 words



Ithia held out a golden scepter with an emerald as she stood atop a mountain overlooking the city of Jerusalem. Beside her stood man in shining white robes.

“Is it inevitable? Will the temple be destroyed, Gabriel?” said Ithia.

“It comes because Israel has rejected the true Savior.”

Ithia and the angel stood in contemplation before Gabriel spoke. “It is enough. Your quest begins.”

Gabriel touched the emerald and it glowed. “You know what to do.”

Ithia nodded. Then Gabriel vanished.

She turned about until it glowed the led her, going in the direction that emerald indicated.

She went Southwest to the Wilderness of Peran. Shortly, she became thirsty and hungry. She kneeled and said a prayer then rose.

The emerald directed her to a cave. A tunnel led her to the cliff edge of a lake. She thought of what Shang Mi, her predecessor, would do to get to the other side. He would pray for a way across the lake.

Ithia kneeled and said a prayer-nothing happened. “I must not have enough faith.”

Her stomach growled and she cleared her parched throat. She smiled again without a worrisome thought whether she would find sustenance. She felt assurance.

She considered her predicament and paced around until she noticed a place on the cave wall with a pictograph portraying a human with the bottom of a rod being inserted into a keyhole. At the top was what looked like a jewel. To the right was an illustration of a long bridge over a body of water.

She saw a similarity between it and the Agios Scepter.

“How would an ancient people even know of the Scepter?”

Ithia looked around and saw tiny crevice. “There is one way to know.”

Ithia inserted the scepter and a vibrating came from the lake cliff edge. A stone bridge extended to the other side.

Ithia tilted her head. On the other side was a blank wall. She shrugged and shook her head. The emerald grew brighter as she went. She neared the other side. Seconds after she stepped on the other side, a spiraling, deep glowing azure portal appeared. Her heart leapt. On the other end, a large courtyard with flags portraying a red phoenix.

“It’s…my home! My beloved kingdom of Solace!”

Ithia ran through with a beaming face. Strangely, no guards were posted. She dashed through the castle gates into the main chamber. Royalty and nobility started at her and gasped.

“Princess Ithia! You’re back!” said a robed man.

Everyone gathered around her murmuring with wide eyes.

“Where did you get that beautiful scepter?”

“I will explain all. First, I need food and drink.”

“I will prepare food in your room,” said a servant that bowed and then ran off.

A man in scarlet and gold embroidered robe with a crown on his head approached Ithia with tears. “My daughter! Where have you been! I thought you would never come back!”

“How long have I been gone?” asked Ithia.

“Over twenty years.” The king eyed her suspiciously. “You have not aged at all.”

“Where are all the guards?”

“Every able hand is fighting in the war against king Grithin’s kingdom of Ifria. And to be honest, it does not look good. Hundreds of troops fall weekly.”

“If only peace were possible,” said Ithia.

“That pompous fool will never listen to reason!”

Ithia sighed. “The whole war ills me.” She ran a palm down her face. “I need replenishment.”

The king nodded as Ithia walked to her chamber where the servant was placing a plater of meats and fruits on her large nightstand.

She ate ravenously in silence. Then she stopped to speak.

“I have been trapped under a curse this whole time. As I was riding through the wilderness my mount snapped its neck. I was making my way home when I found a pond in an oasis with palm trees. I drunk from it and suddenly I found myself stuck under the surface, as though it was glass. I must have been in some spiritual form for I did not drown or choke on the water. Nor did I feel any cold.”

“That scepter, where did you get it?” asked Ithia’s father.

Ithia paused. “That would entail a whole different matter- something I would not prefer to discuss now.”

“It’s just good that you’re back,” said the king. “You look exhausted.”

“It has been hard to sleep lately. Rest sounds good.”

“Feel free to retire, then. We will talk later.”

Ithia nodded and passed the crowd towards her room. She ascended a staircase and walked through a door into her room and collapsed onto her bed and quickly fell asleep.

Ithia had a dream of a Chinese man in a white robe.

“Shange Mi! Is it really you?”

The Chinese man nodded with a smile. “It is. God has allowed me to speak to you. There are three souls you must witness to-one in Solace and two in Ifria.”

“Surely King Grithin knows me as princess and would not hesitate to take or kill me.”

“As your predecessor and former wielder of the Agios Scepter, I faced a similar situation. Nevertheless, God made a way. Go forth in faith, Ithia. He will protect you.”

Ithia awoke nearing twilight. She took up the scepter she had laid by her bed and raised it then turned in a circle until the emerald glowed the brightest then she stopped. “The first convert is in the east wing.”

Ithia exited her room and her father, King Ativus, stood there. “That scepter must be quite valuable. I have not seen you without it.”

“It is the implement of my freedom from my curse. The one who freed me with it, passed it onto me.”

“So, it was a wizard who saved you.”

“No, something else. It was of another kind of power.”

King Ativus tilted his head. “How perplexing. In any case, I thank him most sincerely. Why did this man give you his scepter?”

Revealing how Shang Mi was a priest of God and how she was to take up the task of showing the Gospel to a realm before the first coming of the Son of God would make things volatile. “It was a gesture of thanks.”

“Most generous! The emerald alone must be precious.”

Ithia chuckled. “You have no idea.”

A servant in a blue tunic ran up to Ativus. “Sire, General Titus brings word of the last battle.”

“Yes, what did he say?” the king said abruptly.

“Another two hundred have fallen.”

King Ativus put his hand to his head and trudged to a wall and sat on a chair, exhaling deeply. “Good heavens! This cannot go on! At this rate our forces will deplete in less than a month.”

Ithia saw General Titus approaching from about three-dozen yards away, coming from the direction of the east-wing. Suddenly, the emerald at the tip of the scepter glowed brighter. As was the case with Shang Mi, her predecessor, the glow of the emerald was cloaked from the sight of others. He neared her until he reached until the emerald glowed the brightest she had ever seen it! General Titus was the first soul to be witnessed to!

“General Titus, how could we lose so many men in one battle!”

“My liege, it was an ambush. I suggest we must plan an affective strategy to route the next wave of enemy troops. Our spies confirm they will be approaching from the Southern Forest.”

King Ativus rose. “We will plan now!” The king walked side-by-side with Titus. The king’s cloak flailed behind him as he went.

Ithia took a deep breath and reentered her room to wait until the war meeting concluded. She peeked out of her door to check to see if they had emerge from the east wing.

An hour later, General Titus came out alone.

Ithia ran to him. “Where is my father?”

“The whole kingdom rests on his shoulders. He needs to collect his thoughts and mull things over. Give him time.”

“May we speak privately?-perhaps in the royal gardens?”

Titus blinked his eyes. “Of course, princess.”

They exited the castle and out onto the vacant courtyard, where Ithia had traveled through the portal into Solace.

They turned left and walked through a small gate into a lush, aromatic garden with trestles crawling with vines and flowers. Fountains of different shapes dotted the area.

Finally, Ithia sat on a wooden bench and Titus sat too.

“How much do you believe in the gods,” said Ithia.

Titus raised his eyebrows. “Such a poignant question and a bit personal too.”

“Please tell me. I have a good reason.”

“I suppose I believe they exist. But I leave all relations concerning them to the priests. The gods are too high and powerful to condescend to men, save the priests.”

Ithia looked deep into his eyes. “What if there was a God who both loves and desires a relationship with men?”

“That would be an amazing notion indeed. Why do you ask?”

“Promise you will keep this between us only.”

Titus veered around then leaned in on Ithia. “Of course. What do you have to tell me?”

Ithia paused and looked down. “I will be forthcoming with you. As I told my father, I have been trapped beneath an enchanted pond this whole time.”

Titus reeled back with wide eyes. “Such a thing really happened! That’s astounding! You poor soul! How did it occur?”

“I was riding in the wilderness and my mount died. I was trying to make my way home on foot. I came across a pond in an oasis and I drunk from its waters and it was as though my spirit was trapped beneath the surface.”

Titus’s mouth was gaping. “How did you escape?”

“A priest who bore this scepter freed me with it.”

“So, this priest had magic power?”

Ithia shook her head and looked deep into Titus’s eyes. “No. This part of the point I am trying to make. This priest was servant to God, the only God. This scepter is a holy object he wielded before giving it to me.” Ithia swallowed deeply. “This scepter guides me to certain people I am supposed tell about this supreme God I mentioned. It regards the future when He will come to Earth and reveal Himself. You are one of the people I am to witness to.”

Titus was about to reply when Ithia felt a sinister, ominous presence filled the space. It seemed to loom over Titus like a shadow. He rose and sneered at Ithia. “Enough of this! There is no such God! I don’t care where you got this scepter, the gods are the only true deities!” Titus stormed off. Then the presence left the area. But Ithia knew it was the agents of darkness speaking through Titus. Why didn’t the scepter repel them?” she thought. It must have been a high-ranking presence like three generals that Shang Mi was not able to subdue with the scepter. Then Ithia recalled the horrific instance when Shang Mi died at the hands of the three dark generals.

Ithia stood and exhaled deeply. If only she could find a way to witness to Titus in the absence of the evil force. She knew it lay in beseeching God for strength and opportunity.

At that instant, she thought of a way to speak to Titus without interference-a portal to another place and time! But how would he agree to go pass through a portal? What if the dark force came back? Then she got a simple but affective method. The first step was to go to the stalls and conceal the Agios Scepter on a horse satchel then removed the water skin that Titus always kept in a sack on his own horse.

She reentered the castle and went to the alchemist in the south wing. She arrived out of breath from sprinting to the alchemist. “Drahman, I need a sleeping serum. I am having trouble sleeping.”

The elderly man smiled and went to a shelf with vials and beakers and gave her one. “Here you go. This will help.”

Ithai thanked him and ran on her way to her guest room and poured some of the vial into her own water skin. Then she ran to a door in the vast main chamber and knocked.

She had an anxious knot in her stomach at the demeanor of Titus would be.

Titus came out. “Ithia. I’m glad you’re here. Sorry for my outburst. I don’t know what came over me.”

“It is forgiven. Would you go riding with me? I just feel like riding.”

“If that would please you, I would love to!”

The two made their way to the outer courtyard and turned to the right where the royal stall was. Ithia hopped onto the one with the scepter that was hidden. Titus mounted his horse they rode off for the Southern Forest.

After twenty minutes, Titus halted to rest. He dismounted and rummaged through his satchel. “Confound it! I forgot my water skin!”

“I brought some.” Ithia tossed the water skin to Titus who drunk from it. “Hmm…taste strange. Must be old.” A few minutes later, he stretched and yawned. “I need to take a quick rest.” Titus sat against a tree and closed his eyes. Ten minutes later he was fast asleep.

Just as she feared, an agent of the dark force manifested in the form of a single shadowy figure. Its eyes glowed red and it bore a sword of black flame.

Ithia took out the scepter and held it up. The dark agent shielded itself by holding up his arms. The being was pushed back a few feet and then it let out a cry like smoldering lava. The being tightened its grip on the hilt and its eyes burned deeper as it forced its way forward against the power of the scepter.

Ithia clenched her teeth, and pulled deep inside all the faith she could gather and the agent went flying against a tree. She had exhausted her strength and had little time.

She focused her thoughts on a time and place then a spiraling blue portal appeared. On the other side of the portal the inside of a Jewish synagogue was there. It was a holy place and no evil could enter there. Ithia recalled how Shang Mi sacrificed himself by stepping outside of the synagogue and he was destroyed so she and the people she was traveling with could be spared. This was when the priest, Shang Mi, passed the Agios Scepter and the quest onto Ithia.

Ithia grabbed Titus by the arm pits and dragged him through the portal and into the synagogue. Then the portal closed. Ithia went to the double-doors and put up the wooden slat that braced the doors closed so none would enter.

Ithia collapsed on a pew, beyond tired, spread her body out and closed her eyes and she eventually fell asleep too.

Ithia was jostled awake by Titus who had a flush face and wide eyes. “Ithia! Wake up!”

Ithia stood and wiped sleep from her eyes.

“Where are we and how did we get here! The last thing I recall is siting against the tree.”

Ithia grabbed Titus by the shoulders and looked into his eyes. “Calm down. I will explain everything.”

“You know how we got here?”

Ithia nodded. “The scepter brought us to another time and place.”

“You mean like magic?”

“No. The scepter is a holy relic from a place called heaven. Remember when I told you of the deity is the only and ultimate God?”

“I think so.”

“Through His power, we have come here. But there is more. I brought us here so I may speak with you concerning a spiritual message called the Gospel. In our own time, the event that made the Gospel has not yet come to pass. You have been chosen to hear the message and be welcomed to heaven when you receive the Gospel yet to be revealed.”

“What is this message?”

“The Most High God sent forth his Son to Earth to save us from spiritual death and our own evil nature.”

Titus’s eyes glistened with a peculiar luster. He blinked his eyes and took two steps closer to Ithia. “What must I do?”

“Repent and turn to Him. It’s that simple.”

Titus smiled and his face lit up. “I understand!”

Ithia led Titus in prayer and when it was said, Titus cried tears of joy.

“I feel like a child again! I sense such peace and fulfilment!”

Suddenly the doors came flying off the hinges. Standing in the doorway were three dark shadowy, beings in black cloaks.”

Titus reeled back. “Who are those awful apparitions!”

“They are the three generals of the dark force. Fear not-they cannot enter this holy place.”

“I remember you Ithia, companion of Shang Mi. We destroyed him and we will kill you too,” said one of the dark beings.

“You have already failed one time; Titus has believed!”

“A mere setback. The next time you meet agents of the dark force, it will be ones like ourselves you face.”

Ithia swallowed and cringed.

“Why are you so distraught, Ithia?”

“Even the scepter cannot subdue the highest ranking dark agents. If we do confront them, I do not know what to do.” She shuddered. “Let us return.” Ithia opened a portal and they went back through. Ithia glanced back at the beings, and they were smiling.

The portal closed and they were in the Southern Forest and the dark agent had left.

“Return to Solace and tell none what you have realized. I must go to Ifria.”

“What! But, why?”

“There are two more souls to hear the gospel and they live there.”

“Those swine deserve such a gift?”

“All have transgressed and are equally evil.”

“What if you are caught?”

Ithia looked down. “I must have faith. Now go.”

Titus bowed. “God keep you, princess.” He mounted his horse and rode off.

Ithia recalled how the next wave of enemy soldiers would come from the Southern Forest. There was a good chance of her capture.

When Ithia faced South, the scepter glowed brighter. She mounted up and rode for Ifria. Trees and greenery wisped past her as she sped onward. The terrain steepened and she crested the top of a high hill. She looked down and took a deep breath as she beheld the castle of Ifria that dwarfed that of Solace.

“How will I reach the two souls I am to minister to without being met with hostility?”

Ithia shrugged and wiped sweat off her brow and rode down the hill. Soon she entered the city quarters and slowed to a mild pace. Peasants eyed her royal apparel and murmured to one another.

A guard stopped her. “Who are you and where do you come from?”

Ithia hesitated.

“Answer me!”

“I come in peace on a mission of mercy. I am from Solace. Please hear me.”

The guard unsheathed his sword and gnashed at her.

“I beg you! Let me speak!”

“Why should I?”

Ithia took out the scepter and everyone gasped. “I come bearing this as a sign of my sincerity.”

The guard’s eyes bulged and his mouth gaped. “Is this a gift, then?”

“As I said, it is an object testifying my importance.”

“I see. You wish to see the king then?”

“I do.”

“King Grithin may not take you so easily. You could be sentenced to death on the spot.”

Ithia straightened her back and raised her chin. “My message is worth the risk.”

The guard glared at Ithia from the side of his eye. “Very well. Follow me.”

The people kept examining her as she was led by the guard through the streets lined with houses. The housing became more upscale as she went on as were the citizens’ attire. The scepter increased in brightness as she neared the castle. Whoever it was he was supposed to talk with was either royalty or a guard.

At last they came to the castle gates. Two strong, chiseled men saw the guard and cranked a wooden wheel and the gate rose. Ithia dismounted and Ithia and the guard came through and once inside the castle a man in a silk robe went to her. “Who are you? It is obvious you are royalty considering the scepter and your apparel.”

The guard sneered. “She is the princess of Solace.”

The man in the silk robe suddenly frowned. “What? Why is she here? Surely, she has forfeited her life by coming here.”

“She wants to see the king.”

“King Grithin would not tolerate the enemy in his chamber!”

“She bears this scepter as a sign of authority and knowledge,” said the guard.

The robed man studied the object for a few moments. “I see. But it is no guarantee. She goes to her own peril.”

“I am aware.”

The guard spoke to a servant who stood by. “Where is the king at the moment?”

“He is in the Temple of Areth.”

“It would be rude to disturb the king. You will wait,” said the guard to Ithia. “Sit on that chair for now.”

Ithia did so. After ten minutes, she rose to stretch and turned about and the scepter grew brighter and she stopped. A man in a black cloak was coming her way.

“Who is that man in the cloak nearing us?”

“He is Elymus, the castle wizard.”

A wizard! I am supposed to convert a sorcerer! she thought.

Elymus had deep, dark eyes and a bald head.

The emerald on the scepter brightened as he neared. He stopped and looked at Ithia. “You are the princess of Solace, are you not?”

“How did you know?”

“My intuition tells me this. Why are you here?”

“I come seeking peace.”

The guard interjected. “Why did you not tell me before?”

“I wished to keep it between the king and I.”

Elymus shook his head. “You will be waiting for a while. He spends long periods of time in the temple.”

“We have no wizards in Solace. I know I deserve anything, but may I see a demonstration of your abilities?”

Elymus got a prideful smile. “Very well. Guard, you can release her into my care.”

The guard walked away abruptly in an angry air.

“Come with me, princess.”

Ithia wished he could see the glow of the emerald as a demonstration of God’s power. However, it had always been veiled to the eyes of others.

Ithia was led through a series of halls and chambers until they came through a door with a red dragon insignia on it and entered.

Elymus stopped and faced Ithia. “Now then, what would you like to see?”

“Anything.”

Ithia could not think of anything to begin to say to him. She uttered a quick mental prayer and suddenly Elymus reeled back as he stared at the shine of the emerald at the tip of the scepter. “A magic scepter! You said you have no wizards in your kingdom!”

“You can see the glow of the scepter!”

“Yes! Who are you!”

A holy essence came over Ithia and she spoke with the Spirit of God. “I am a servant of the Most High God, who alone is real and omnipotent. I have come to share the good news of His merciful gift of eternal life and purity.”

“I do not understand.”

“Forsake all false gods and repent of your sin and sorcery. Then swear fealty to Him.”

“I will do no such thing! All gods are the work of wishful imagination-completely false!”

“Yes they are! But my God is the only true God who is not worshipped by images! He lives in a place called heaven.”

“And, how do you know all this?”

“Messengers of God called angels who live in heaven gave me the mission to speak to you of this point.”

“Your glowing emerald attests to some kind of power. And you say it is a god who gives you this power?”

“Yes, the only God.”

“I am intrigued. Tell me this message then.”

“My God created all things. Sometime in your future, He will send His son to be a sacrificial atonement for mankind and to bring peace and freedom to all.”

“I see. I must say, inner peace and freedom would be a dream. Despite my power, I carry a longing and a weariness in my soul. Will your God really do away with such things?”

“Yes.”

“What you say sounds foolish…but if you say is true, I am willing to take a chance.” His face relaxed and he looked deeply into Ithia’s eyes. “What must I do?”

“I will lead you into a prayer of repentance then swear allegiance to Him.”

Elymus mulled things over and took a deep breath. “I cannot believe I’m doing this. But I have nothing to lose. Lead on.”

Ithia led him in a brief prayer and suddenly his expression changed to that of a child and he smiled as though he was born again.

“What will I do if I am called to do magic by the king or the prince since I have left the way of the wizard?”

“Say something like you need your powers to replenish or that you have a temporary block for some reason or whatever you can think of.”

“I cannot hide what I have become forever,” said Elymus said.

“I will see to it you get asylum in my kingdom.”

Ithia turned about until the emerald grew brighter. “I must go now. Make sure you stay nearby so I can find you.” Ithia back-tracked her path through the halls until she came to the grand main antechamber.

Suddenly, a man came out of a door at the top of a rugged staircase to her right. Ithia had never seen a more handsome man in her life. The emerald grew brighter as he neared her. Ithia was not aware she was staring at him. He paused and they locked eyes. The man tilted his head and approached her. “I have never seen you before. You must be a princess considering your rich attire and the scepter you bear. Who are you?”

Ithia blushed and looked down. Telling him the truth would cause hostility. The emerald now grew its brightest as he stepped before her-this was the last convert. But who was he?

Ithia wanted so bad to know this man on a more personal level. But she had a job to do.

“If I tell you who I am will you swear you will not deride or show hostility no matter what?”

“You have my word, maiden.”

“I am a princess of Solace.”

The man reeled back with a deep frown. He looked down and shook his head. Doubtless he was holding back negative emotions. He took a deep breath. “Why are you here? I would have you jailed if I was not a man of my word.” He smiled slightly. “Plus, you are quite fair.”

“May I ask who you are?”

“I am Prince Halbred.”

Ithia got a lump in her throat. What was she to do? How could she possibly get alone with him as at all other times she had to witness to all the others? Then she got a good yet somewhat duplicitous idea. “I must say, I find you alluring myself. Although it may seem a quite bold and rather unfitting proposal, seeing you are the crown prince of a kingdom warring against mine, may we have dinner together?”

Halbred looked Ithia up and down, tilted his head and frowned. “My father would never allow it.”

“We could go into the forest and dine together.”

Ithia had admit, her reasons for getting him alone was starting to be more personal and not do convert him. Nevertheless, she tried her best to keep things proper.

The prince was silent for a few moments. “I would have to disguise myself to leave the kingdom.” Suddenly he shook his head and threw up his hands. “This is madness! I am fraternizing with the enemy! If I were found out, my father would punish me!” He grabbed his head and turned away from Ithia.

Ithia put a hand on his shoulder. “Please-would it not be worth the risk? We both have feelings for one another.”

Halbred exhaled deeply. “I would lying if I said I did not. Very well. I will gather enough for a proper dinner. We will escape at twilight to the forest. I will come for you.”

“There is something else. I used the ploy of talking with your father about peace to enter the castle.”

“What is your real reason, then?”

“It actually involves you. But ask no more questions. I will reveal all when we are in the forest.”

“As you wish. First, I must hide you. Your appearance would invite questions about who you are.” Halbred put his scarlet cloak with the insignia of Ifria, the dragon mark on it. “Keep your hood over your head. Come with me.”

Ithia was brought to a guest room with a bed and a nightstand. On the left was a stain glass window.

“I will come for you soon,” said the prince as he shut the door behind him.

Ithia laid down and stared at the ceiling. Oh, lord, keep me true to your purpose! Give me the words to say.{/0} she thought. She felt her eyes feel heavy and she closed them and fell asleep. She had a horrible nightmare of myriads of dark agents decimating and burning the kingdom of Ifria. Screams came from peasants and royalty alike. In a flash of light she was in Solace and the same thing was occurring.

The three generals of the dark force appeared. “We are coming for you, Ithia. It is a matter of time. Soon this vision will come to pass-perhaps not in your lifetime, but it will arrive!” said one of them. “And your successor will not repel us with the Agios scepter.”

Look up at Me, Ithia!said a faint voice in her mind. She continued to be overcome with terror and sadness, looking down at the carnage. Look up! Look up, my child! came the voice again. She glanced up and saw a man made of fire. Ithia heard a voice like thunder. “The battle is mine. The victory is won. Have faith and watch my deliverance.”

Ithia awoke, breathing heavily. Outside the window, it was nearing dusk. Ithia pondered her dream vision and its meaning. She walked to a small, porcelain basin of water on a waist-high pedestal and washed her face and blinked her eyes a few times.

A knock came from the door and the prince entered dressed in a hooded sackcloth cloak-the attire of temple priest. “I brought a change of clothes for you as well. I will be waiting outside the door. He placed a blue tunic and a white gown which servants wore then he exited.

Ithia dressed and went out to see Halbred standing next to the door. He nodded and started off and Ithia followed. They strolled through royalty and nobility that talked and traversed. They made their way at a hustle in the direction of the stalls when a nobleman stopped Halbred. “What are you doing here priest?”

“I spoke to the king on behalf of the god Areth.” Halbred lowered his voice and he spoke in a raspy tone.

“I know most of the priests. You do not sound familiar. Let me se your face!”

Halbred looked up at the nobleman and he gasped. “Prince Halbred!”

The prince took him by the collar and glared at him. “You will keep this a secret. Do you understand!”

“Yes…of course…my prince.”

The two made their way to the stalls and Ithia chose the one she had loaded the scepter with, and the prince chose a black mount and they rode off.

There was a calm and a peace about herself and the forest-like some benevolent essence permeated her mind body and spirit as well as her surroundings.

Prince Halbred stopped, dismounted and laid down a large blanket and placed down food and the two sat together.

“What started the feud between our two kingdoms?” asked Ithia.

“Can we talk about other things-like you, to begin with?”

Ithai blushed again and pulled at her fingers. “What do you want to know?”

“What things do you like to do?”

Ithia cleared her throat. “I like to go riding.”

“Really! I actually…” Prince Halbred looked around and shivered but there was no chill or wind. He frowned and peered around as though something were there.

Ithia felt something too-a darkness. But her sense was not accompanied with fear, but a strong serene absolution.

The three generals of the dark force appeared in their dark, nebulous figures and burning eyes. Ithia recalled how Shang Mi, the former bearer of the Agios Scepter, said that the Agios Scepter could not repel them. Ithia narrowed her eyes, held out the scepter and dropped I, like a discarded tool.

In her mind, she heard the thunderous voice that told her the battle was the Lord’s.

Prince Halbred’s eyes widened and he jumped to his feet and scrambled backwards. “What are those things!”

“Be at peace, prince, and see the glory of God.”

The generals looked at the scepter then at each other. They brandished their black flame blades and shot forth, heading straight for her heart.

A strobe of light flashed and a being appeared holding a gleaming sword and shield. The being made a swift horizontal slash and struck down all three entities at once. They shrieked and their substance vanished in a plume of smoke.

Halbred’s mouth gaped as he struggled to speak. With wide terrified eyes he could hardly stand. ‘Ithia, what is that shining figure! What just happened! What were those things!”

“The dark, figures were enemies of the Most High God. Don’t be scared. The shining man is an ally.” Ithia approached the shining man. “It is good to see you, Gabriel. That dream I had was a sign to trust God.”

“Indeed. I am needed elsewhere. Farewell!” Gabriel vanished.

Halbred stood speechless with flush face as though he had seen death.

“Be at peace, prince. What just happened was for your sake, to convince you.”

“Convince me, of what?”

“It concerns the proof of the one true God and His eternal gift.”

“I don’t understand.”

Ithia smiled. “In the future of this point in time, He will send his Son to atone for man’s spiritual error and rebellion. To accept this gift, you need only to believe and repent.”

“I think…I understand. How could you not be true after what I just saw!”

Ithia looked into the prince’s eyes. “It starts with a simple prayer.”

“Let us pray then.”

The two bowed their heads and Halbred was led in a prayer. When that was done. Ithia saw the change in his eyes-like he was reborn into a knew being just like Elymus.

Ithia and Halbred looked behind them.

“It’s Elymus! What is he doing here?” said the prince.

When the former sorcerer reached them then he dismounted with a frown and wide eyes. “My Lord, something in my spirit told me to come here, but I did not expect you!”

“I know why,” said Ithia. “Elymus, you are to take up the mantle and witness to the last three souls.” Ithia neared him and put a hand on his head and muttered a few words. “It is done. The prompting of the Spirit has been passed onto you.”

“I comprehend what to do. God keep you.” The man held up his hand and a portal opened. “Goodbye friends.” Then, Elymus stepped through and Ithia and Halbred looked on.



































































© Copyright 2024 brom21 (ion_7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319316-The-Great-Witness-Part-2