*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319758-Jumping-Spiders
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2319758
Clara takes the prize for most unusual
“I had no idea they were frightened,” Sara said. “And of a little thing like spiders.” She shook her head and patted the small plastic box that held her precious Phidippus jumping spiders.

“Mom, they’re five, of course, some of them would be frightened.”

Sara's gaze fell upon her granddaughter’s classmates, a whirlwind of youthful energy in the park. They dashed about, launching water balloons, propelling each other on the swings, and immersing themselves in various outdoor games. Their laughter, a chorus of unbridled joy, echoed through the park, starkly contrasting the quiet solitude she had grown accustomed to in recent years.


As her friends filled their homes with the comforting presence of canines and cats, Sara chose a different, yet familiar path. Her choice, though unconventional, reminded her of her childhood and her two brothers, who kept spiders as pets. These jumping spiders ensured that her yard remained pristine and her furniture unharmed. But with the passing of her husband, she found herself without a daily companion to share her life with. The sporadic visits from her daughter and granddaughter only underline her loneliness.


Her peers found her eccentric, most staying away, leaving a considerable gap in Sara’s life. She never thought having pet spiders would garner such an adverse reaction, yet here she was.

As the year-end picnic began to wind down, that loneliness crept in. All that was left to do was ensure everyone had cake, got their prizes, and their party tokens before packing everything up and heading back to the school.

Sara moved to the shade of a tree and sat on the grass, the plastic box beside her, watching Clara’s teacher announce prizes. Not one child would leave there today without winning something. She wondered just what type of reward Clara would receive for giving show-and-tell about the jumping spiders.

“And for most unusual, Clara,” the teacher announced.

Sara couldn’t help but laugh as she joined the applause of other children and parents. She couldn’t argue with that title.

Her daughter joined Sara in the shade of the tree. “Can you believe it? She won the prize!”

“I told you she couldn’t go wrong with the Jumpers. They are fascinating creatures,” Sara said.

“Yeah, well, as long as you two keep that fascination of yours at your house, I’ll keep quiet.
“Grammy, Grammy,” Clara shouted, running and launching into Sara’s arms. “I won most usual.”

Sara laughed, “Most unusual, and that’s pretty awesome squirt.”

“What’s unusual mean? Clara asked.

Her mother ruffled her braided brown hair and smiled. “It means that you are unique and different, just like Grammy.”

WC: 439

Writer's Cramp Entry 5/8
Prompt: I had no idea
They were frightened
She won the prize
Everyone had cake
© Copyright 2024 Purple Princess (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319758-Jumping-Spiders