*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319808-Going-Home
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2319808
Flash Fiction - Devon Is Going Home
Devon had been driving three days now and he was on the final stretch, heading back to his home state of California. The moment he received that letter he took all of the clothes he had at his grandparents house and threw them into his car, said his goodbyes to them and set off.

The past few months had been pretty uneventful, he didn't really have any friends his age in Florida. He would often hangout with his granddad and his friends, playing games they enjoyed liked dominoes, billiards and poker - any game they could put money on really.

Devon was excited to return and see his friends again, yes they would be a year ahead in college because Devon had taken a gap year but that wouldn't effect anything - he hoped. He chuckled to himself thinking about the highjinks they will get up to suppress the thought that things between them would be different.

He flicked on the radio to find a song that would continue this good mood he was feeling.

"Traffic has slowed on I-10 today, expect delays." The radio announcer said. "But let's not allow that to ruin the summer vibes." Their voice faded away as a thumping club song began to play. Devon wound down his window all the way, letting the wind rush through his hair to fully embrace the joy he felt until he would inevitably hit the traffic jam.
© Copyright 2024 M.Galliers (gatmalliers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319808-Going-Home