*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319836-Wedding-Dress
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fashion · #2319836
Shopping for the big day (Winner, Cramp!)
"I can't believe I'm actually here," Jeannie thought, inhaling the distinctive perfume that marked the interior of an exclusive store. "I think I've been dreaming of this since Kindergarten, when I first heard the story of Cinderella."

"Well?"

The almost-harsh inquiry was like a sudden jab, and she came out of her reverie to find a salesgirl at her elbow.

"Well?" the salesgirl repeated. "Are you going to ask for what you want, or just stand there breathing? Only my shift ends in forty-five minutes and I have to have a sale to make this day fruitful."

Surely this store, the most exclusive store for the most expensive wedding dresses, wouldn't have such rude salesgirls? But Jeannie didn't voice this thought.

"I'd like a wedding dress."

"That's obvious, my dear, or you wouldn't be here."

Jeannie was annoyed now. "Listen," she told the salesgirl. "Maybe I'll come back when your shift ends so I can get someone ..."

The salesgirl's face crumpled suddenly. "Oh, no, no, don't. Don't go away, please." She looked around her furtively. Seeing that the two of them were alone in that section at the moment, she went on. "You see, I just got dumped today and – well, I'm – sort of jealous of anyone who wants to buy a wedding dress, that's all."

Phew. You never knew what was behind someone's rudeness. Jeannie didn't think she'd have had the temerity to sell wedding dresses to other women the day she had been dumped. She would've called in sick or run away or something, instead of showing up at the store.

"Er – I'm sorry to hear that."

"Yeah, and that Sandy there, the one who claims to be my friend, she's been trying to quash me by telling me it's bad luck for a dumpee to sell a dress to a bride-to-be. Sandy just wants to be the best salesgirl, that's all."

Was it bad luck to buy a wedding dress from a dumpee? Something old, new, borrowed and blue said nothing about dumpees.

"Oh dear, I shouldn't have said that. Now I've put some doubts in your head, dear. Please disregard everything I said and let's start over. I'll show you our various bridal outfits and then you can make an appointment for your first fitting ..."

Jeannie looked at her, and then steeled herself. She wasn't going to be superstitious. George wasn't going to dump her. He loved her and she loved him and they were going to be married and for once in her life she was going to splurge on an expensive gown to be married in. It didn't matter who sold her the gown.

"Well, I'd like it to be traditional, you know, but not too old-fashioned."

"I know just what you mean."

It was bewildering, the vast array of gowns that met these criteria. And the vast array of prices they came in. She had saved up for a good one, but there were perfectly nice ones for well below the amount she had kept aside, and some dreamlike creations costing far, far more.

"My shift's up. Listen, you come back tomorrow please, don't let Suzie get this sale after I've done all the hard work."

"Is Suzie a dumpee?" Jeannie blurted out the question without thinking and then froze with horror at her own thoughtlessness.

"So that's why it was taking you so long to decide ... you wanted a non-dumpee to make the sale." She could hear the unshed tears behind this accusation, and didn't know whether this increased the sting or decreased it.

"I'm sorry, it's just that ... I mean, I wanted to buy the dress today."

"Why, specially? And come to think of it, hardly anyone comes in here alone to choose a wedding dress There's always Mom or Sis or Bestie along for a second opinion."

Jeannie smiled. "I trust the salesgirls here to be that second opinion. I guess you've seen enough brides and know what looks good on whom."

"Yeah, and what brings out their personality, like. A bride's personality is important on her wedding day. You said you wanted it traditional but not old fashioned. See, that's your personality. Oh, here's Suzie. Hi, Suzie."

"My goodness, I know brides are picky, but this picky? Did you show her every dress this shop ever made?"

"Hey, just out of curiosity," Jeannie butted in, "are all the salesgirls in this shop less than polite, and do all of them have a reason?"

"Has she been rude to you?" Suzie asked. "Well, I'm not surprised. Her boyfriend vamoosed, you know, and it's hard to sell wedding dresses after that."

"What's your excuse, Suzie?" Jeannie grinned.

"Me? I wasn't being rude, merely factual. That's a lot of dresses you've seen. Haven't you picked one yet? I bet you picked your husband easier than this."

Jeannie stopped short.

Had she picked George too easy? Was she really in love with him?

Abruptly, she turned.

"Hey, where you going?" both salesgirls yelled after her.

"I'm sure I'm not going to be the dumpee, but I have to decide whether I'll be the dumper. You suggested I come back tomorrow. Maybe I shall, if I decided I didn't pick my husband too easy ... bye for now!"
© Copyright 2024 THANKFUL SONALI Now What? (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319836-Wedding-Dress