*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319892-Space-is-Dark
by Gravel
Rated: E · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2319892
Daily Flash Fiction entry for 10-May.
“Space is dark,” Ghost thought. “It’s not spattered with sparkling points of light, and wisps of color. It’s just… black, except for the occasional explosion from the battle.”

Long range weapons fire flared in the distance. Red and yellow streaks flew across the darkness, and then an explosion flared.

“Someone lost a ship. Hope it is one of theirs.”

“You’re morbid Ghost,” Thud stated over the comms.

Ghost smiled. If they only knew.

“All set commander,” Thud said sliding back into his seat. “I had to by-pass the primary power node for communications and scanners. Port main is gone.”

“Good job,” Ghost replied powering up flight controls.

“What’s the plan?” asked Thud.

“Find a home,” Ghost replied. Thud chuckled. “Get on the Comms. Contact Artemis.”

“Artemis is transmitting for recovery,” Thud replied. “She is at one-three-zero mark two-five.”

A single engine roared to life. The damaged recon recon ship shook and moaned as it accelerated.

“Falcon-3148 abort vector. Repeat abort vectored approach,” instructed Artemis flight control. “Enemy contact on your vector for an attack.”

“Stand-by Artemis,” Ghosted replied as the ship pitched about.

“We have a lock,” said Thud.

Two fiery flares of light sped away. Then a bright fire ball.

“Nope, the bastard evaded,” Thud reported. “Artemis, we’re empty.”

“Get clear Falcon-3148.”

“Roger that,” Ghost said as something flared outside and shook the ship.

“Remaining main is offline,” Thud reported as the cockpit went dark.

Streams of light flashed by the listless recon ship. The ship jolted from the passing energy pulses from Artemis’ weapons fire.

"Space is really dark," Ghost thought to himself again staring out the cockpit.

The cockpit lit up from a passing bolt of energy, a loud bang, and then darkness.

Word Count: 286



© Copyright 2024 Gravel (wgilbert at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319892-Space-is-Dark