*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319895-Such-is-Life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2319895
Flash Fiction
Such is Life

“We should be able to finish today,” I said to John. It was early morning; we were standing in our back yard. My sister had made plans for a surprise party for our mother. Family, friends, a big cookout! But Nan’s yard was next to a swamp and unfortunately it had rained all week, her yard was flooded. Even though it was a week away, we both knew from living there growing up, it would not be suitable for a party. So, we switched it to my house!

Unfortunately, John and I were a bit behind in upkeep. It was nice and dry, but we hadn’t cleared the leaves nor tended to the gardens well. The grass needed a good mowing…

“What’s the plan?” he asked.

“Clean up the yard?” I said, wondering if I understood him.

“We’ll need a plan…”

Suddenly realizing he was looking at this project in “work mode” I just let it go. There was too much to do!

“Ok,” I said “Go make the plan, I’ll just start with the mowing.”

Off we went, him inside, me to the garage.

I knew I didn’t need perfect; I used the leaf blower to clear out the gardens and then the lawn mower to mow the lawns. Then I used the mixed leaf and grass clippings from the mower bags, as mulch in the gardens, pulling up the taller weeds as I shook it in. It “looked” wonderful!

Just as I finished, my husband came out with his written plan to do the yard. Two pages!

“You know Honey,” I said “now that the grass is mowed it really looks good.”

“Oh, great! Now I don’t have to miss the Red Sox! The game starts in ten minutes!” Off he went into the house.

Such is life.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319895-Such-is-Life