*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320371-Philosophy-Prompt-10
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Monologue · Contest Entry · #2320371
Prompt 10 entry; Is one human being worth more than another
In a secular view, the worth of a human being is multifaceted like a diamond. Yet it is transitory like the sand in a desert. The worth of any one particular human being comes from not only one's own paradigm, the self-image. Also the times, the era, the epoch and period in which one exists. For example, a warrior in time of war when a country is defending itself, is priceless. However, in a time of peace, the warrior is a burden financially to society.
To a baby, a mother is life itself since the baby being dependent on the sustenance of the mother's milk. However, the baby, now grown, may see the mother in old age as burdensome to care for, as the baby now, an adult forgets within the shifting sands of memory over time. As a child growing up, my father and older brother participated in a fast-pitch softball league called, "Guns and Hoses". All of the players and officials were either police officers or firefighters. The audience would at times be very upset during the games depending upon the calls of the officials and the sportsmanship of each player. Many times during the games, these players and officials did not seem worth much to the audience. Yet, when these same folks were out serving in the community, they are "priceless".
The spiritual view of a human being is not supposed to be as fluid to be changeable over time. There is a foundational premise on which to stand. Each human being has a spark of the Divine within them. Therefore, show loving-kindness to one's best ability. The mothers are "partners" with God in the creation process. Therefore, have more respect than that of a man.
Naturally, the difficulty comes when a person engages in criminal activity especially to the extremes of murder, rape, abuse and such. I imagine they diminish their own worth as a human being first by choosing to engage in the criminal behavior. Thus, become less worthy.
Over the years, I have seen my own self-worth fade, grow, and fade again etc. Many times looking back, I can tell how I valued my self-worth by looking at my heath/weight of the time.
In conclusion, I have seen my own self-worth expand and contract in my own eyes. I have also changed my perception of others' worth in the same manner. There are many heroes over the centuries that devalued their own lives to save another. Then the one saved values their "savior" above all others. Maybe even to the point of feeling guilty, as to devalue his or her own life, "survivor's guilt?" The question; "Is" one human being worth more than another?
The Answer is; yes, at times, Yes.




Word count = 457
Philosophical Contest prompt #10
https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/2137339-Philosophical-Musing
Rated: E Monologue Contest Entry #2320371

© Copyright 2024 HollisFrances (hollisfrances at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320371-Philosophy-Prompt-10