*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320696-Its-Time
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2320696
Flash Fiction
It’s Time

Dan was standing in the middle of the kitchen staring at a piece of mail when Jane walked in. Fearing it was their credit card statement, she casually asked, “What’s that?”

“I’m being blackmailed.”

“What?!” Jane asked, a tad relieved, but, of course, curious.

“Grandma!” he said, apparently furious now!

Jane immediately tip-toed on, she knew the relationship between Dan and his grandmother, though she never really understood it. Her own grandmother was so sweet, always proud of her and interested in every aspect of her life. Dan’s grandmother was a tyrant! And more, he seemed actually afraid of her. Jane had given up trying to figure it out over the five years they’d been married.

“Oh,” she said, “that’s from Gramma Taylor?”

“Oh yes!” he said, almost gritting his teeth, “she wants me to tell you it’s time for us to have kids, or else!”

Now involved, Jane said “What?! She’s telling us it’s time to have kids? Who does she think she is!?” she said in her most outraged voice.”

“Exactly!” he said, then turning to her he added, it would be nice though, starting a family…”

“When we’re ready!! You and me, not her!!! Are you ready?” she snapped back.

“Well,” he started, “I just got that raise at work, it has been lovely for us with the travel and all, but maybe it’s time to think about a family. You want kids, right?”

“Of course. Yes, maybe it is time for us to start thinking along those lines…” she smiled.

Dan smiled too. Jane was pretty sure it was because he didn’t have to fight with Gramma now. Which was exactly what they thought would happen, when she, and his grandmother, came up with the plan. They both knew who could help Dan finally be ready…
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320696-Its-Time