*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320757-Hot-Stuff
Rated: E · Fiction · Food/Cooking · #2320757
Searching for the good stuff
The goods were left in an unmarked bag next to the garbage can, just as I had demanded. The jar of pennies I'd left as payment? Gone. I glanced to my left and then to my right. The alley was empty and silent, save for a one-eyed feral cat glaring from behind a spilled bag of oozing debris. I scooped up the small sack before I could lose my nerve, dodged a swipe from the angry feline, and ran like a madman back to my car.

I let the tires screech as I pulled away from the curb and sighed in relief as the miles fell behind me. Soon I would have my fix. I tapped my fingers anxiously against the steering wheel, beating out an aimless tune. I had to fight the urge to flatten the pedal to the floor.

Hurry, hurry! I urged the traffic. Why was everyone so slow today? My eyes glanced at the sack on the seat next to me, drawn to the contents inside. I licked my lips. I wouldn't last much longer without it.

In my eagerness, I pulled willy-nilly into our driveway and jumped out of the car. The door chimed, reminding me that I'd left my keys in the ignition. With a frown I reached past the steering wheel and yanked out the keys. The whole world was out to get me.

Brushing past my husband with a snarl, I clutched the bag to my chest like a protective mama bear, and charged into the kitchen.

"Looks like someone didn't get her fix this morning," he mumbled.

Those would normally be fighting words but I didn't have time to throw down the gauntlet. The craving was too great and I was running out of time. I shot a few daggers from my eyes and pushed past him to the counter, where my tools sat at the ready. The grinder released a puff of caffeine and I felt myself begin to relax.

The dark brew dripped too slowly. I found myself pacing in front of the machine, cup in hand, waiting for that glorious moment when the carafe would be filled to the top.

The liquid splashed into my cup like a fountain of life. It was the elixir of youth. Love and hope and peace all within one vessel. With one sip, my sanity would be restored. My husband would be free to speak without fear for his life. My children would be safe to say my name without repercussions. I brought the mug to my lips.

And the doorbell rang.

I slowly set the drink down on the countertop. My hand left the mug's warm side and reached, instead, for the lifeless doorknob. And there he was, an officer of the law and he was holding...a jar of pennies.

"Excuse me, ma'am," he drawled. "But we traced these back to you."

I flinched as I realized I had forgotten to launder the pennies. My glance shifted longingly to the cup on the counter and the officer followed my eyes to the evidence that I'd foolishly left in plain sight. I bit my lip, realizing I had been caught red-handed.

"We can make this all go away, Ma'am." He gestured toward the carafe and smiled. I took the hint. And the pennies.

Now I roam the street with my freshly washed pocket change, searching for the right dealer.

Because what is life without the good stuff?

What is life without a cup of coffee?




What'cha Brewing?
© Copyright 2024 Genipher (geniphery at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320757-Hot-Stuff