*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320832-Lessons-Learned
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by KS23
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2320832
If at first you don't succeed, talk to your Dad.
Elliott’s dream of a career in journalism had crumbled to dust in this, his first job. He knew he was a talented writer, but here in Raddison, PA, 800 miles from home, he discovered he’s a real featherweight at investigating and interviewing. The Raddison Record had little choice but to let him go.

For the next few days, he slept little and ate less. Though he pined to be comforted in his fiance’s arms, he felt too embarrassed to go home. Finally, in desperation, he called his dad, begging him to fly his plane out and pick him up. After arriving and refueling, the pair boarded the Cessna and headed home.

“Allow me to offer two tidbits of advice, son,” said Dad. “First, I have faith in you. You’re an excellent writer and you’ll find you path soon enough. Second, don’t ever put a job ahead of your Marilyn again.”

“Thanks, Dad,” sighed Elliott, “I won’t.” They continued chatting until about 20 miles from home, when the engine sputtered, then simply quit. Immediately, Dad went into pilot emergency mode, making adjustments to put the aircraft in it’s best glide configuration. Elliott helped, pulling the prop lever all the way back to feather the propeller.

“Good,” said his father. “That will reduce drag, preventing us from falling like a brick into the pine forest below.”

After a safe landing, they drove home. Elliott called Marilyn, told her he was on the way over, jumped in his own car and sped away. He did, however, make one stop, Sam’s Soda Fountain. It was the only place around where you could still get ice cream in a cardboard brick box. He had Sam fill one with Marilyn’s favorite, TigerTail, orange flavored vanilla swirled with black licorice sauce. He was glad to be home.
© Copyright 2024 KS23 (kellyspring23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320832-Lessons-Learned