*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/255319-Murder-in-a-Darkened-House
Rated: ASR · Draft · Mystery · #255319
The professor enters the mysterious house with trepidation. Only trouble lies ahead.
Professor Knowitall stood at the threshold of the master bedroom, ready for his first glimpse of her when a scream rang out from the room which was so shattering that it separated the skin from his bones.
It was a cold and icy night in a remote New England suburb. The Street was dark, the entrance deserted and the enormous mansion lay awake with its yellow window lights peaking out in the quiet darkness of the night. The massive double oak door display was reminiscent of an old, English country villa, secluded by giant gardens. Once inside, the sprawling stairway led up to a stupendous balcony which hung over the immense sitting room.
Inches away, the professor stood, dignified and afraid, as he felt torn between retreating and facing the inimical presence inside. He knew that a retreat would make him a coward in his own mind. And if he also knew that stepping inside could make him an accessory. How would he explain himself in a legal challenge?
When Audrey climbed the steps, the professor turned, half startled but aware of her presence.
"To what do I owe this honor?" Said Audrey nervously.
"The time has not yet come that I can look upon the incident as necessary." Knowitall said with confidence. He tipped his hat and raised his eyebrows.
"Then I shall watch the act with care." Audrey said,briskly, "Are we going in?"
"After you." The professor said. There was a slight pause, as Audrey pushed the door open. But what they saw made their eyes open as wide as the ocean. On the bed, in all her majesty, the mistress of the house lay dead.
"Is it not what you expected, sir?"
"One is never prepared discoveries as these."
"Let us have a look," Audrey said enthusiastically, coming near the bed where the body lay. She pulled back the blankets, "Look," she noticed the blood collecting on the sheet beneath the woman. "Let's turn her over."
"She was shot in the back." said the professor. "This was no doubt done execution style."

"Let's get a police report in. Do give me a hand." They put the body back in its position.
"As you wish."
She made the call and the investigator was on his way. Now who would do such a thing? Where was the evidence? Had the professor disturbed anything?" She must have had a visitor." the professor boldly said, "There was no forced entry. This means that whoever came into the house before she was shot must have known her?"
"The poliice will run a check on all the numbers in her book."
When the poiice came they made it a point to interview the neighbors. Unfortunately different neighbors gave different versions of the same story. What was wrong? They also dusted everything here for prints. They went over the place molecule by molecule searching for clues. The professor tried to stick around, wondering what the police would find, but they became suspicious about him. So, he told the inspector on the case, "I will be home if you need me. Here's my card."
(MUCH MORE TO COME: Stay tuned.)

You have to check out "NOT ALONE" !! It incorporates "Murder in a Darkened House."
© Copyright 2001 D. Wayne (flywriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/255319-Murder-in-a-Darkened-House