*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/264020-Is-It-Safe
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #264020
Johny smiled and pinched Frankie on the cheek.
Frankie and Johnny were tight, but Johnny was the boss. Frankie always did exactly what Johnny wanted and the two men got along well. "You trust me, Frankie?" Johnny would say. "Sure, Johnny," Frankie would answer. The day came when the union deal had to be discussed. Johnny's reputation was on the line.

The elevator ride up to the 40th floor was slow but the view was spectacular. Since the building was in the process of construction, you could clearly see the cityscape in between the framing in the open air. Rising above the skyline, with open space all around the elevator arrived at its top floor and the two gentlemen stepped out. They were escorted to their table, which was set up on an I-beam that dangled precariously from a hoist crane and hung over the street far below. The two men took their seats on the beam. The wine steward and waiter then climbed onto the beam to take their orders, "Frankie," Johnny said, "Are there any bugs in the beam?"
"No, Johnny," Frankie said, "How they gonna do that? It's solid steel. No bugs."
"Then let me tell ya what I want." Johnny said, "Hey, waiter! More pasta here."
"And give me some Pinot Grigio." said Frankie.
"A little breezy up here, eh, Frankie?"
"Senior Amatellie," the waiter said, "You pasta and vino." He served the food.
"Gracias." Johnny said, "Remember the business on Spring Street?" he said to Frankie.
"Yeah, Johnny, got a man down there."
"Do me a favor, Frankie, take out Williams. He ain't one of us, capisch?"
"Capisch! Benny's our union man. Don't worry, we'll take care of him." Frankie said.
"I want to see him in cement shoes." Johnny said.
"Hey, nice view of the birds up here, eh Johnny?"
"Long as there ain't no stool pigeons."
"Johnny," Frankie said, "How long you know me?"
"Hey, Frankie," Johnny said, "Don't let me down."
"I know you like to go to lengths, Johnny. But why are we all the way up here?"
"Hey, Frankie," Johnny smiled and pinched Frankie on the cheek, "The only place where we can enjoy lunch and the Feds can't hear us."
© Copyright 2001 D. Wayne (flywriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/264020-Is-It-Safe