*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/285451-I-Owe-My-Life-To-Fate
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Biographical · #285451
My story of an intense brush with fate.
I Owe My Life To Fate

“Just leave me alone!” That’s what I screamed to my supposed friend during what was to be one of the best nights of my life. You see, my dream of performing on stage was coming true and the school variety show was in progress.

I was so blinded by rage and confused with sadness that I didn’t even notice my fleeing body had taken me to the balcony. I was perched over a story above ground and was inches away from falling into certain oblivion. One look down revealed the realness of my situation. I had been presented the perfect way out of my sorrowful existence. Even the wind whispered to me what must be done. Everything was telling me to jump and leave all of my problems behind.

For a while I actually considered releasing my grip from the rail and hurling myself into the spirit world. It didn’t occur to me what would happen if I killed myself, how lives would be altered and how history itself would be changed. All I knew was that I would be freed from this world and all of its boundaries and restrictions on my life forever.

Everyday I was reminded of how different I was and that I would never be able to do what I wanted. The other teens never let me forget that acceptance was beyond my grasp and friendship was out of the question. I dreaded going to school and having to deal with all of the social cliques and secret clubs that never acknowledged my existence, much less would invite me to join and finally belong somewhere.

I looked again over the side of the balcony and wondered what the impact would feel like. Would I die instantly or have to suffer? I imagined what would hit the earth first, probably my head… maybe my chest. What if I landed on my face and no one could recognize me? Just when I really started to agonize over every detail that would be left to chance, I heard a voice speak behind me.

“You’re not going to jump, I won’t let you,” it said defiantly like there were to be no questions asked.

I turned around quickly, but no one was there. A strange feeling crept up my spine and my body shivered violently. Something pushed me backwards and I fell in the opposite direction of my previous intention. Once on the solid and safe ground of the balcony I realized what had happened. I wasn’t supposed to take my life that day. Fate had been sitting next to me on the balcony ledge and intervened when it felt the time was right.

I brushed myself off and was on stage just in time for my breathtaking performance. I thanked my lucky stars that I was able to do what I loved and actually enjoy it.

There’s no doubt that fate had taken time out of its busy schedule that night and paid me a visit. Fate saved me from committing the worst mistake in the world. That’s why I can say that I owe my life to fate.
© Copyright 2001 Nikki is smiling (nikkif610 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/285451-I-Owe-My-Life-To-Fate