*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/292911-The-Sleigh-Ride
by Bernie
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #292911
Not just another lonely sleigh ride on another snowy day
A light snow had been falling for the past two days. There must've been three feet on the ground and Christmas was only four days away. Laycee smiled at the thought of the holiday; It was her favorite. She loved the smell of pines, the feel and look of snow, and the cheer that people passed to one another. The town was buzzing with the feel of the Christian holiday. An eight foot spruce stood in the park across from the library, decorated with a flashing cascade of lights, glowing orbs, and bird ornaments the elementary children had made. The tree lighting ceremony had been two weeks ago, when the entire town had gathered around the tree and watched as the mayor, who was dressed as Santa Claus, flipped the switch.

Laycee Maynard had watched from the window. Her apartment was located on the third floor, which gave her a perfect view of the square. She forced back a tear as the thought of her parents invaded her. Even though three years had past since their death, it seemed as though only yesterday they had been here, talking about a future with grandchildren. She was the only child and it had put pressure on her. She had wanted to please them; they had given her so much and she wanted to give something back, by giving them a grandchild or two. It would be another Christmas alone and at twenty-seven, it wasn't unusual, but it wasn't pleasant.

She tugged at the sleeves of her periwinkle sweater. Her auburn hair, which went to her mid-back, cascaded down. The top layers of her hair were pulled back, and held by a clip. She had been visiting her friend, Natasha, who had just given birth to their first born, a son, at the hospital. She had named him after her husband, Manuel Jacob Remendez Jr., who looked so much like his father. Natasha had delievered her son at four fifteen that morning and had Manuel Sr. call her at seven. Laycee had just recently returned home.

She frowned. She wanted children too, but the way she was going, she didn't know if she'd ever get married. She had thought of artificial insemination, but it was too expensive. She could hardly make the payments on her apartment, the bills and her car. Her dream of owning a beautiful farm house in the country, with animals and land, with children and a husband, seemed to be fading each year. Of course, she was still young, but not every man is looking for a thirty year old woman. Men loved the younger women. At least, that was how she took it.

After making herself a hot cup of tea, she sat back down onto her couch and watched as the snow fell past her window. As she held the mug, lightly, in her hands, the chamomile steam warmed her cheeks. The thoughts of children, of marriage, of a farm house out in the country, sank her deeper into despair. Those thoughts and dreams only seemed to fade every time she thought of them.

The winter was her favorite season. It was so peaceful when it snowed. So quiet and peaceful. The snow intrigued her. She didn't know why, but it did. She leaned back on the window sill and looked out the window. She smiled when she saw a sleigh being pulled by four beautiful Clydesdale horses. They were beautiful. Their hooves clopped on the pavement, followed by faint echos. Just watching them reminded Laycee of something she'd see in a fairy tale. Everything seemed to be perfect, none of which could happen in real life. Riding in a sleigh, though, was something she had never done. She had only figured she would with her lover or her husband. Even so, the thought stuck with her.

As she sipped her tea, she had made up her mind. She was going to fullfill at least one of her dreams. It was a small one. Nothing as drastic has having a baby or moving into a farm house, but it was something she wanted. She smiled. She felt her body get all warm and fuzzy. She was going to go and ride in a sleigh. She was going to enjoy herself.

She stepped outside, buttoning her black leather jacket. She slipped on her black gloves, and walked into the parking lot. She couldn't wait until she was there.

Parking onto the small parking lot reserved for park visitors, she turned off her car, and climbed out. The air was crisp and cool. Laycee breathed it in and felt it fill in her lungs. Her lungs seemed to be instantly chilled and she loved the feeling. Another thing she loved about winter. After shutting the door, she trudged in the snow and headed towards the center of the park.


oooooooooooo



Bradley Harland pulled the sleigh into the center of the park. He had been working as a sleigh driver for almost four years, during the winter. He was thirty-six years old. He couldn't believe he still worked here. During the spring, summer and fall, he'd work his farm. The house he lived in, was the house he had inheirited from his parents, and the house he had lived in as he grew up.

He reached into his duffel beside him and pulled out a thermos. The hot coca was still hot and steamy inside. The steam rolled out in thin warm clouds and kissed his cheeks. He closed his eyes as he brought the thermos to his lips. The hot steamy liquid brought instant warmth to his mouth and throat. It seemed as though he became instantly warm from head to toe. He pulled the thermos away and capped it, placing it back into his duffel.

It was then, when he noticed her. She stood by the fountain, with snow clinging to her bright auburn hair. It was long and flowing. The only word that came to his mind was beautiful. He closed his eyes, shaking the thoughts from his mind. She walked up to him and stopped by the side of the sleigh.

"Is it all right if I have a carriage ride?" She asked. Her voice was soft yet strong. It wasn't harsh or demanding. He liked it, it was like enjoying rich and creamy chocolate chip cookies once they come out of the oven, warm and soothing.

He paused. He was waiting for a man to catch up with her. To come running any minute across the snow, ready to take her into his arms. Shaking the thoughts from his mind, again, he looked down at her. "By yourself?" Surprisingly, to him, she nodded.

She looked around, as if expecting to see someone she knew. If possible, her voice got softer, "Do I need someone?"

Only smiling, not replying, he climbed out of the sleigh and joined her. He held out his hand, palm up, she smiled slightly, and took his hand. He helped her into the sleigh and she comforted herself in the backseat.

Brad climbed over into the driver's seat and took the reins. "Have you ever ridden in a sleigh before?" He asked.

"No. This is my first time. I've always wanted to ride in one though. They are so majestic and so old fashioned. I always wondered what it would feel like, to ride in one." She smiled as she spoke.

"It's a shame you don't have anyone to ride with you. You meeting with a boyfriend?" He asked. Not sure why. He felt as though he had just invaded her privacy and felt a sudden pang of regret.

"I've always wanted to ride with someone. No, I'm not meeting a boyfriend. I don't...I don't have one." She replied quietly. He turned around to face her. She wasn't looking at him, but to the side.

"I'm sorry if I opened a door that should've remained closed." Brad apologized.

"It's all right. I don't mind." She replied. She turned and faced him. "My name is Laycee." She held out her hand. He turned, more so, to face her and take her hand.

"My name is Bradley. You can call me Brad." With that, he turned, and smacked the reins. The horses began to trot. He loved the feeling of the horses moving ahead of them. It felt like some surreal experience. Brad found that he'd rather drive a sleigh then drive a car, only because of the feeling. A sleigh was so smooth driving, so quiet, except for the sounds of hoove beats.


oooooooooooo



Laycee spotted the beautiful Christmas tree. The lights glowed and glittered as the sleigh drove by. A soft blanket of snow laid on every bough of the tree. It was so beautiful, so peaceful. The angel, which was at the top, seemed to be smiling down upon them, watching over them, protecting them. She shifted her gaze from the tree to the back of Brad, her sleigh driver. He was, Laycee thought, indeed cute. He had the soft brown hair and, if she had seen right, he had the richest set of sapphire blue eyes she had ever seen.

He was a gentleman as well. He had helped her into the sleigh, whether it was part of his job or not, it had been very kind of him. "What do you do for a living?" He asked, bringing through the clouds of her thoughts.

"What?" Noticing she hadn't heard a single word he had said.

"What do you do for a living?" He repeated.

"Oh! I'm a kindergarten teacher. I'm on winter break." She said with a smile.

"Are you? Do you like it?" His voice seemed to be filled with genuine interest.

"Oh yes! I love it. It's so fun to work with the little children. It's fun at their age. It's easy to get them to learn. You just make everything a game." She looked at the back of him. "What do you do for a living? In the summer I mean."

"I'm a farmer. I inherited my parent's farmhouse and farm. Of course, I can't farm in the winter. All I can do, is feed my animals, and clean their stalls." He chuckled. "It's fun."

"You live on a farm house?" She asked, her voice filled with pure excitement.

"Yup. It's a beaut at that. It's a hundred year old farm house and my parents kept it in beautiful condition. It's located on five thousand acres." He stated proudly. She could just see it, standing all rightous on its five thousand acres. Standing tall and monumentous over everything. Rustic and glorious, everything she dreamed a farm house should be.

Her breath caught in her throat. "It sounds beautiful." She complimented. She wished she couldn've found the words to explain her true feelings of it, but they died in her throat.

"It is. I just wish that the prices for everything would go up. I just hope that what I am getting, I'll be able to keep the farm alive. I don't know what I'd do if I'd have to sell it."

"I've always hoped to own a farm house." She sighed contently and looked off. The were coming into the square. Some of the people were heading into the small little shops. They were entrepreneurs who ran the place. She remembered her mother and father wanting to start a flower botique in town. They had even looked into it, paying for it, providing for it, and remaining steady and above the water. They probably would've gone and done it, but the car accident had taken that dream from them also.

"How come you haven't bought one?" He asked generally.

"How could I afford one? I can barely afford the car I own and the apartment I rent." She leaned back into the seat. She wished that she could have one, but what she had told him was true. She had even tried to set money aside, but then her car needed new tires and a gas tank and new gas gage. She was drained financially. There would never be a chance for her to live her dream.

"It would probably be better if you lived with someone. It's easier for me, since the house is paid for. I just have to worry about taxes." He turned his head, so she could see his profile. He was definitely cute. She found as her attraction towards him grew, she found her fondness of him grew too. She liked talking with him, he seemed so open and willing to listen.

They turned onto Outlook Road, a backroad with only a few homes located on it. A cabin was located a few miles north on the right. The Barnells lived there. They were an elderly couple who still had high ambitions. While they remained quiet, Laycee listened to the sound of the runners as they ran across the hard packed snow. It was a peaceful sound and the only thing that would make it better was if she had someone to share the ride with. Someone she could hold onto and rest her head on their shoulder.

"You asked me if I had a boyfriend, do you have a girlfriend?" She asked boldly. She folded her hands on her lap, and felt as the crisp wind blew in her face, wisping her hair around her.

"No. I did. She just didn't like the idea of dating a sleigh driver and a farmer." He replied dryly.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Brad. Some women can be just as bad as some men." She replied coolly, knowing that was a fact. She had met some women in her life that were worse than men. She never in her life thought she'd actually meet one. When she did, she wished that she hadn't.

"It's all right. It's been over for almost eight months. She didn't hurt me. She wanted to, but I showed her it didn't." He replied.


oooooooooooo



He slapped the reins and horses moved into a quicker trot. They had moved farther into the country area. There were lesser homes, more farms and more plains and trees. It was beautiful. Everything was covered in snow. He could never think of living anywhere else but where he lived. It was so quiet and cozy in the country. You could spread out your wings and feel comfortable. Even living in the town was too cramped for him.

It was fun talking with Laycee. It was a shock to learn that she didn't have a boyfriend. She was a very attractive woman. In the forty-five minutes that they had been on this sleigh ride, he had known more about Laycee than he had about his previous girlfriend, Shauna. She was more in talking about her day and wanting to know about him, knowing every detail, but she'd never tell him a thing about herself.

He knew that she was a kindergarten teacher, most likely here in Harlow. He knew that she had a dream of once owning a farm house and wanting animals. He also knew, not from asking, but from talking with her, that she was a friendly and caring person. That she probably did things for people. It was hard to find a person like her. It was nice that she was open to revealing things about her. It was hard to find a woman that would talk about themselves; they always want to know about the men first. In this conversation, they were more taking turns, one piece of their life for a piece of another's.

"You have anything planned for Christmas?" He asked. He slapped the reins again, and turned his head to the side.

"No. I'll probably just stay home, or I'll go to the orphanage on Bonnet Street. I've collected some toys for them." She replied softly.

"That's sweet of you. And that makes two of us. I'll probably just be staying home too." It had been almost two years since he had a Christmas with his brother Andrew.

"It's the least I can do for them. It's better that they know someone cares for them. They deserve to have a Christmas."

"You deserve a Christmas too, you know." He smiled and slapped the reins again. He turned left. It would be another hour before he'd come back into the park.

"I probably do, it's just that I don't have anyone to share it with. My friend Natasha will be at her parent's house." She sighed. It wasn't a peaceful sigh, he noted, but almost a depressed sigh.

"I don't know why I'm telling you what to do. I have a brother I haven't seen in two years. I have two nephews and a niece I haven't seen since they were in diapers." He shook his head.

"How come?" She asked.

He sighed to himself. He hadn't talked about this to anyone, and here he was, ready to talk about it to someone he knew for an hour. "We got into an argument. One about our parents. Our inheritance. He was complaining about why I got the farm house, and why he got a million dollars." He laughed. "Sometimes I wished I was the one who took the million dollars. I mean, I could be doing so much better. I could have a better job, yet, I'm glad I took the farm house."

There was a silence that followed. The whisper of the wind seemed to be telling him something, but he couldn't catch it. He sighed. He wondered what it was trying to say, if it was saying anything at all. "Brad, have you ever tried to talk with him?" She asked.

He didn't know how to reply. He had tried to call once, but Andrew had hung up one him. Even got his wife to hang up on him. His wife, Isabelle, lovely Isabelle who had talked over with him, telling him that he would find another woman. That Shauna was just someone who thought she deserved more, when she obviously deserved less. She, too, had deserted him. "Yes...yes, once." He took a deep breath, and when he released it, he watched as the white puff disappeared into the cloudy white sky. "It didn't do any good. He got his wife to hang up on me. I didn't even try to go down to their house, for fear he'd pull out his rifle on me." He snickered some and snapped the reins again.

"I doubt he would've done that." She said. He turned his head and caught the sight of her, out of the corner of his eye.

"You believe that?" He asked.

"Of course."

He laughed. This was good. Talking with Laycee. He couldn't believe how far in depth this conversation had gone.

"Do you have any brothers and sisters?" He asked.

"No. I was an only child. Now, I wish that I had at least another sibling." She replied. "When I was young, I was glad that I was an only child. I got all the attention."

"Yeah...well, when I was young, I wished that I was the only child. My brother always acted as though he was my father. Then, when I'd go and tell, I was the one who got into trouble. It had been because I aggravated him. Fun, eh?" He laughed and slapped the reins.

She was quiet. He adjusted himself on the bench. When this ride was over, he'd be through with his shift. It was almost four. When they got back, it would be four-thirty. He wondered, what she'd think, if he asked her for some coffee. He smiled and slapped the reins again. "C'mon girls, you can do it." He said to the Clydesdales.

"Why did you want to be a sleigh driver?" She asked.

"I don't know. I always wondered what it'd be like. Mostly, it was the most interesting job that had been in the paper. Sounded more fun than flipping fake burgers at McDonalds, let me tell you. I needed something that I could do during the winter. While there was snow on the ground. Once there's at least five inches on the ground, I can pull a sleigh." He paused, then continued, "Plus, it helps pay for groceries during the winter."


oooooooooooo



"I work two jobs too." She stopped. Not because she didn't know what to say, but because she wanted to feel the air as it kissed her face. "During the summer. I work at the daycare center, I help take care of young children and teach them their ABC's, if they're old enough."

She opened her eyes, not knowing she had closed them. She could see the town just up ahead. Her time with Brad was coming to an end and she was beginning to feel sad. She'd be going home, to no one. It had been nice to talk with Brad. Natasha was still at the hospital, she wouldn't be home for another day or two.

"You like kids, I see." He said happily. She watched as his arms jerked up, then down. He had snapped the reins again.

"Yes. I love kids. Especially, the little ones. They're so innocent, and it's the age where everything they do is different from the last thing. It's so cute." She smiled. A strand of hair blew into her face, and she wiped it away with a gloved hand.

This had turned out to be a great day, not counting being alone in the sleigh ride, but the fact that she had done it and had a good time. She enjoyed the crisp air blowing in her face and the conversation she had with Brad. He was a very nice guy. Not to mention that he was very cute. Handsome might just about cover it.

They pulled out onto a main road, back in town. Instead of going back the way they had come, they had gone into the back entrance of the park. She had only come in this way once, but it had been a long time ago, and she had been only thirteen and looking for her dog, Ringo. Ringo had long since passed away, but the memory was still there, like a small video.

Brad turned into the park. The rear entrance was just as beautiful as the front. There was the pond on this side. One she had seen a few times. There was a couple who were ice skating on top, along with a another couple. Both looked as though they were deeply in love. She smiled at them. She envied them. She hoped to fall that deeply in love someday. And Brad didn't seem to be a bad candidate either.

She had noticed, for the first time, it had stopped snowing. Snow was still clung to her hair, but it had stopped snowing. She saw the fountain up ahead and knew that their time together was coming to an end, and quick. It had been a fun two hours.

When they came to the center of the park, there was another carriage there as well. The man who drove it was giving the horses some feed. Brad pulled the carriage to a stop. After a few moments, Brad climbed down and held a hand for her. She smiled and took his hand. "Thank you." She said with a smile.

"No, thank you. It was a very enjoyable conversation." He smiled and this had been the first time she had taken in the contours of his face and eyes. He had short, brown hair. Some draped over his forehead. He was tanned, most likely from working so hard out in the field on the farm. His eyes were beautiful. They were a rich, sapphire blue. When he smiled, those lines around his eyes and mouth seemed to enhance his good looks, something she envied about most men. When they got wrinkles, it helped improve their appearance, but when women got them, it seemed to lessen theirs. She figured he must have a strong, muscular body beneath his clothes, since he didn't look like a stick with them on.

She watched as he went to the back of his carriage and opened up a small compartment. He pulled out four bags, which looked to be feed bags for the horses. It took him a few minutes before he got them on them. She began to walk away, when his voice stopped her.

"Laycee! Wait!" She turned around, and noticed that he had begun to follow her.

"What?" She asked, he walked up to her.

"I was wondering, if you don't have anything to do, if you'd like to have a coffee with me. I'm just getting off work. I figured that since we had such a good time talking in the carriage, that you'd like to continue to conversation at the Cafe in town?" Their eyes locked and she felt something surge through her body, her heart seeming to skip beats and her body feeling as though its temperature had raised above normal.

She waited, just looking at the expressions on his face. Of course she wanted to go, she just wanted to watch him. He was a very interesting man. "Sure. That sounds like fun." And she smiled.

"Could you wait with me, until the next driver comes?" He asked. As he waited for her to answer, a smile spread across his face.

"You expect me to say no?" She laughed and placed her hands into her pockets. She hoped to warm them some. Even though the heat had spread through her body, it had obviously missed the route to her fingers. The tips of them were numb.

"It all depends on what you'd like to do." He replied as he walked beside her. They were heading towards a cleaned off bench, near the fountain.

"Like what?" She asked. He stood and waited for her to sit, then he sat down next to her.

"Well, there are some women who like to "freshen up" before they have coffee with a guy." He replied with a soft chuckle at the end when he saw the expression on her face.

"Well, I like the way I look at this moment, as much of a disarray as my hair is." She said with a laugh.


oooooooooooo



She had a beautiful smile, just to go with that beautiful laugh that she had. He had actually been surprised when she said yes, to join him for a coffee. Then she was waiting with him. The temperature wasn't that cold. It was that, or his body was still heated over that gaze that they had shared. It felt like a stroke of lightning had struck him, but it left him all tingly and warm inside. He wondered if she felt it.

He hadn't known that she was such a beautiful woman, until he had helped her down from the carriage. She was the most beautiful creature he'd ever seen. Her auburn hair had cascaded over her shoulders, her bangs were a little wind blown, but all the same, it was beautiful. It was that copper auburn color. It was very attractive on her. And those eyes of hers. They were extremely beautiful. She had large, luminous eyes. He had to watch himself or he'd be staring so deeply in them, someone would have to send in the S.W.A.T. team to get him out.


* * * * *



He had never expected having a coffee with Laycee would be so much fun. He didn't think they'd actually find anything more to talk about, but they did. They talked about their childhoods and school. They talked about their dreams and goals. They talked about where they saw themselves in the next twenty to thirty years. They talked about what they had really wanted to do as a grown-up. When they had finished talking, they had noticed that they hadn't touched their coffee cups much.

"Well, there's a dollar twenty-five down the drain." Laycee said sarcastically.

"Yeah, me too. If I had known I wouldn't have drank any of it, I wouldn't have gotten one." He replied dully.

After leaving a tip for their waitress, they walked out of the cafe. "Would you like to walk me to my car?" She asked. He noted that it was a quiet question, he wondered if she was shy about asking it.

"Sure. It sounds like fun. I have to pick up my car anyhow." He replied. He stuck his gloved hands into the pockets of his overcoat.

"You live right in town?" He asked. She looked up at him and nodded.

"Yes, all my life mostly. I only moved a few blocks from home. I had figured, five years ago, that I'd be married and into a house by now." She replied.

"It's never too late to get married. It's never too late to buy yourself a house either." He said as he looked over at her, then he looked straight ahead.

The Cafe had been only a few blocks from the park. It would take maybe ten minutes to get to her car. It would be then, that they'd split up. He wondered if they'd ever see each other again.

"I hope so. It's just that, I've always heard that men always like the younger women. No one would want a thirty year old woman. Would they?" She asked. She had shoved her hands into her coat pockets as well.

"Of course they would. Not everyone gets married at twenty-three or twenty-five. Some wait until they're thirty." He replied. He paused. He could hear the wind as it spoke its mysterious whispers, and the sound of his boots as they skidded against the packed snow and ice. "Look at me, I'm thirty-six. Who'd want a thirty-six year old man?" He looked straight ahead and flexed his hands inside the pockets of his jacket.

She looked at him and sighed. "That's different."

"How?"

"Well, for one. You can practically be at any age and have children. Us women, we have to be young and under thirty-five to be sure to have healthy children. I hope to have children." Her voice was almost a whisper.

He didn't know exactly what to say, but he didn't have time. They were standing by her car. There was a small sheet of snow over the car. She smiled at him and walked over to the other side. She opened the back door and pulled out her scraper.

He wanted to ask her to dinner. He wanted to see her again. She was a beautiful and sweet woman. She was everything he had wanted in a woman. She wanted kids, she wanted to live in a farm house, and they could support each other. He noticed she was looking at him as she scraped the back and front windows. She then scraped the door windows.

"Can I ask you a question?" He asked. He hoped that his voice sounded sturdy. He didn't feel like he was. He felt like he was shaking in his boots. Literally.

"Sure." She looked up at him. A strand fell from the clip which had been holding her hair. It fell down by her eye. It was a shorter strand. It went down to her mid-cheek.

"I was wondering if you'd like to see me again. I mean, as friends of course. We could have another cup of coffee or dinner or lunch or breakfast." When he stopped, he noticed she was smiling at him. Everything about her fascinated him. "What? Did I say something wrong? Was I out of line?"

She shook her head and kept smiling. "I think you're sweet. It's been such a long time since I've been asked out. I almost was wondering if I would ever..." She stopped herself. He was intrigued now.

"Wondering if you would ever what?" He asked. He wanted to know. She interested him and everything she did, he wanted to know. He walked over to where she was. She had finished scraping the snow of her car. She had the backdoor open, and was throwing in the scraper.

"It was nothing." She replied. She closed the door and opened the front door. She turned to him and smiled. "I had fun." She said. She leaned in and hugged him. She was just tall enough for him to be able to rest his chin on the top of her head. He could smell her shampoo. It smelled like rose petals. He wrapped his arms around her, too. He enjoyed the contact. Sometimes a hug said more than a kiss. Sometimes it was more appropriate.

"So, is that a yes?" He asked. She laughed and nodded. She backed up to her door, with her hands at her sides.

"Yes. It's a yes. How about we meet again, tomorrow. We can have lunch." She smiled and placed the single strand of hair behind her ear.

"How about at Tiffany's? On Main?"

"Sounds like a date." She laughed and slid into the front seat.

"So, it's tomorrow?" He placed his hands on the door frame, and when she was buckled and had nodded to his question. He shut the door.

She rolled down the window about two inches. "Tomorrow it is." She smiled and rolled back up the window.


oooooooooooo



Sighing, she rolled out of bed. She had glanced at her clock. It was almost eight thirty. She smiled as she got out of bed and wrapped a robe around her. Brad had been on her mind. He was a very handsome, sweet, man, who made her smile. Just at his innocence. The way he asked her to coffee and for lunch today. She smiled again and walked to the window. Her hair was at a disarray, and laid flat against her back and shoulders. She scratched her head, just above the right ear, and glanced out the window.

Snow was falling. There were three days left until Christmas. The sleighs were going. She knew they started at six in the morning and ended at ten at night. She loved the snow. It was so beautiful, especially in the morning.

She walked away from the mirror and grabbed a pair of black dress slacks and a lavender blouse. She grabbed some underclothes and walked into the bathroom.

She checked herself in the mirror. The pants fit snug to her hips and the blouse contoured the rest of her upper body. It didn't fit too snug against her breasts, which she liked. She was self conscious about them. They weren't voluptuous breasts, which were the only things you'd notice. They weren't small but they were noticeable beneath her shirts.

After brushing her hair, curling her bangs, brushing her teeth and applying only a soft touch of eye shadow, a soft touch of blush, and a light smack of lip gloss, she walked into the kitchen. It was almost ten when she was finished. She stopped short in the kitchen. The time! She gasped. When would they have lunch? What time? Had she even thought about if he had to work? It was a Thursday. Indeed, he'd have to work.

She slumped into a chair at the table and sighed. She hadn't even thought of the time, or whether he'd have to work. "God, I can't even organize a date right." She mumbled to herself. She'd have to go to down to Tiffany's and just wait. She hoped she would look like stupid, sitting there at a table, telling the waitress to wait, that she had a friend coming. She knew how that felt already.

At quarter to eleven, she got out her leather jacket and gloves. She hoped that Brad would be there. It would take her maybe ten minutes to get there. She hoped that he would explain. How? She didn't know, except for maybe her to go down there and talk with him. Set up another date, but this time, include the time, and this time, switch numbers and addresses.

Walking into the frost bitten air, the snow smacked her face, her nose and ears. She hurried into the parking lot and hurried to her car. She didn't want to be in this weather any longer than she had to.

She felt the tension build up inside her as she drove closer to Tiffany's. She couldn't help it. There was something about Brad that made her feel this way. First of all, it was with the eye contact, and second, it was when he asked questions. He was so shy and innocent when he did so. She smiled at the thought, and the tension disappeared momentarily.

The Tiffany's sign was lit and it glowed through the snow. She pulled her car into the parking lot. The place was doing all right for the weather and the hour. Tiffany's was most busy at dinner time, it didn't matter what the weather was.

She turned off her car and sat in the driver's seat. She was almost afraid to go inside. She sighed, gripped her jacket and opened her door. The same bitter cold frostbit air greeted her. She closed her car door and jogged quickly to the door of the diner.

Pulling it open, warm, gentle air greeted her. Her face suddenly felt as though it was on fire. She shook her jacket free of snow, and felt the snow melt against her head, and drip down her head.

She didn't even have a chance to look around, when she heard a familiar voice call her name. "Laycee!" Lifting her head, she saw him waving at her. She smiled. He had shown up. He was sitting by the window. He had watched her pull in and walk to the door.

She removed her jacket and sat across from him. She smiled. "I'm surprised to see you here." She said with a soft sigh. She played with her bangs, making sure they wouldn't go flat and stick to her forehead.

"Why would you say something like that?" He asked.

"Because I forgot to ask you when, as in time, and because I never asked if you could take the day off." She laid her hands across the table. Some of her hair laid across her shoulders.

"I can always take a day off, especially if it is for a beautiful lady such as yourself. Plus, I figured that you meant around eleven thirty, noon. I've been here since eleven." He replied. He relaxed some in his seat.

"Have you had any coffee?" She asked.

He shook his head. "Nope. I figured I could wait." He smiled and leaned against the table. "Are you ready to eat? I'm starving. I didn't eat breakfast."

She chuckled. "Me either. I'd love to eat. Something warm and delicious." She said with a smile.


oooooooooooo



As the waitress placed their plates in front of them, he stole a glance at Laycee. She looked beautiful. The outfit she was wearing accentuated her beauty. She smiled when she noticed him looking. More like staring.

"Do I have something on my face?" She asked. She said it so seriously, yet it was coated with humor.

"Of course not. I'm just taking a gander at you." He replied. He smiled as he picked up his utensils.

He loved the way she only accented her face with make-up, instead of covering her face with it. He wished that he saw all women doing that. He figured that they didn't notice that make-up didn't make them more beautiful if they covered their entire faces in it.


* * * * *



He stood with her at her car. His own car was by the restaurant. "It was nice meeting you here." He said with a smile.

"It was nice meeting you here too." She laughed. She buttoned her jacket and was clenching with her gloved hands.

"You know, since we'll both be alone on Christmas. Maybe we should get together." Something she said must've rung something inside her. Her eyes grew wide and she opened her door quickly.

She came back out a few seconds later with two pieces of paper in her hand. One had her writing on it. He took the piece of paper and read it. It had her number and address on it. "I figured that you'd probably need that. Just in case something like this happens again." She smiled.

"What's this paper for?" He asked. The other paper was blank. She handed him a pen. "For your number and address. Just in case. I might forget something." She smiled. He just grinned and took the pen from her. He slowly wrote his number and address. He had to write slow, to make sure it was nice and neat enough for her to read. If he was in a hurry, it would look more like chicken scratch than human hand writing.

She took the paper from him, and placed it into her jacket pocket. "This was fun. And it sounds fun, about getting together again. How about Christmas Eve? I always make a dinner. I can make dinner for two. How about six?"

He laughed. "Should I be writing this down?" She smiled and found that she was quickly preparing this date again.

"Sorry. When I get anxious like that, I ramble. Would that be a good time for you?" He nodded just the same.

"It's all right. I just hope the weather doesn't slow me down." He grinned and handed her back her pen, which he had just noticed he was still holding.

"So, Christmas Eve? The day after tomorrow?" He nodded.

"Of course. Till then, adieu." He kissed her cheek. He picked up her gloved hand and kissed it. With a grin, he walked in the direction of his car.


* * * * *



Brad opened the door to his farm house and breathed in the fresh air. It seemed much peaceful to him out here. In the country. He pounded his boots against the rug, then removed them. He took of his jacket and walked into the kitchen.

His dog, Lincoln, a black lab, ran into the kitchen. He leaped onto Brad, who almost fell over. "Hey mutt." Lincoln tried to lick his face, but Brad pushed him down. "All right. All right. You want to go out?" He walked towards the front door and opened it. "Then go out."

After closing the door, he made himself a cup of hot coffee. The air outside was bitter. He felt his nose burning. His lips...well, his lips felt as though he had kissed silk. Her cheek had been so soft, so warm...

He shook his head. He'd known for her a day and already he was having these feelings. Already he was feeling as though he knew her for his entire life.

He took a sip from his cup and walked through the hall, past the dining room and into the living room. Nothing on TV caught his eye. Nothing except for the images of Laycee that floated in his mind.

He drank down his coffee. He'd be meeting her again the day after tomorrow. Christmas Eve. He groaned and laid his head back against the couch. The snow was still falling and the wind was fighting its bitter fight against it's other selves.

He sighed and took another sip of his coffee. Before long, he felt his eye lids grow heavy. Just as he was about to doze off, the phone rang. At first, he thought it had been a figment of his imagination, but it rang again, and he knew it was real.

He groaned as he climbed off the couch. He walked across the living room floor, across the dining room floor, and across the kitchen floor, where he stopped in front of the phone. It was located on the wall by the front door. He picked it up answered it.

"Hello?"

"Bradley?" The voice was familiar. Very familiar.

"Andrew?"

"How are you doing, bro.?" Brad smiled. He would've never have figured that his brother would call him.

"I'm doing okay. What about yourself?"

"All right. Isabelle is pregnant again." There was a sound of excitement in it.

"Is she? How many does it make? Three? Right?" Brad rubbed the nape of his neck.

"Yeah. We're hoping for a boy. We have two girls."

"Whatcha doing for Christmas?" Brad asked.

"Probably going to her parents. It's what we did last year." Brad was about to speak, when Andrew spoke again. "Have you met anyone?"

Brad didn't know what to say. He was and yet, he wasn't. "Yeah. I met her the other day. She's a really beautiful woman, inside and out. She invited me over to her house on Christmas Eve."

"I'm proud of you. You've held up Ma's and Pa's farm. I wanted to apologize for being such an ass hole. They knew who'd raise it best. That was you. I mean, I'm running a law firm, and I'm not sure how long I can hold out." There was now a trace of desperation in it.

"You'll do fine. You've always done fine." Brad comforted.

"I was wondering. Would it be okay if the family and I came out to visit you the day after Christmas?" Andrew asked bluntly.

"Of course you can, Andrew. You can come out any time you want. That...that thing we had all those years ago, that didn't change anything about you being my brother. You're just as welcome here as I was. You should know that."

When Andrew spoke, it was full of emotion. "Thanks, bro. Thanks. I thought you were going to hang up on me. I thought you wouldn't talk to me."

"I'd never hang up on you. You're my brother. If I hung up on you, I'd be hanging up on our parents and on our relationship. I couldn't do that."

"Well, I gotta go. Isabelle wants some ice cream. I'll talk to you later. Okay?"

"Sure. Call anytime you want." Brad smiled as he did so.

"And Brad?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you, bro."

"I love you, too."


oooooooooooo



Laycee smiled as she watched the snow trickle outside the window. It was a perfect Christmas Eve. Of course, it would become more perfect as the day goes on. It was on the verge of four, and she was preparing dinner. She still had to take a shower and dress herself, but she had wanted to get a tree the day before. It had been such a long time since she had a Christmas tree.

She put her special recipe on the ham, and opened the oven. Heat radiated out towards her. She put the pot, with the ham, inside the oven. She closed it, and removed her glove mitts. She laid them on the counter, and then removed her apron. Sighing, she draped it over the chair and walked into her bedroom.

But before she could, she stopped as gazed at her tree. It stood in the corner, with beautiful, bright lights that laid upon its frail, yet sturdy boughs. Accompanying the lights was gold and red garland. Decorative ornaments hung spaciously on the boughs. A beautiful angel hung at the top, looking down upon them. It was a beautiful tree. The last time she had brought in a tree, it had been the year her parents had died. After that, she didn't have the heart, nor the family, so she didn't put up the tree.

She wiped her eyes, and walked into her bedroom. She had a long day ahead of her.

Still feeling the moistness from the shower, she opened the door fully. The steam rolled out of the bathroom and the moisture seemed to fade away. Trying to find something new to do with her hair, she split her hair, and placed them into pigtail braids. Something she hadn't done for years. She was wearing a long silk skirt, which was a light green, with swirls of dark green and sapphire blue. She was wearing a white blouse, with her mothers crucifix.

It seemed weird for her. Like she had taken a trip into the past. She felt as though she was doing this for her parents. As though they were the ones who'd be coming through the door at six, and not Brad.

She walked into the living room, at was still caught off guard at the Christmas tree in the corner of the living room. She smiled as she walked past it, and her attention was grabbed next by the thickly falling snow outside. If it got any worse, it would be an almost white out. She sighed and leaned against the window pane.

She couldn't wait until she saw Brad again. They had known each other only a couple of days, yet she felt as though she had known him her entire life. It felt strange to feel that way about someone. To know that there was someone that she couldn't live without. She sighed again. How could she know that she couldn't live without him?


* * * * *



Time was closing in. It was almost six. Fifteen minutes. She rubbed her forehead with her palms and walked back towards the window. She had to wait until the potatoes were done boiling before she could mash them. Her ham would be complete in another ten minutes. The vegetables would be done in about five to ten minutes.

The snow was still falling steady outside the window. As much as she liked snow, she didn't like seeing the heavy downpour of it. It was falling thick and heavy. The cars, she noticed, were driving slow. She wondered if Brad got a head start. If he was on his way.

She turned from the window as she walked to the couch and sat down. The light from the tree cascaded down upon her, covering her in multicolored lights. She sighed and leaned back. She had never felt so nervous or anxious before in her life. It didn't feel like Christmas Eve and it sure as hell didn't feel like she was waiting for a man to show up at her apartment.

It was five minutes later when she heard the water boiling for the potatoes. She leapt from the couch and pulled out her smasher.

Dinner was ready and all she had to do was set the table. There were only a few minutes until six. She was nervous and her palms were slick with sweat. She sat down at the table and breathed in the smells of dinner. A small ham laid in the center, with bowls of corn, potatoes, and gravy, and a plate of bread surrounding it. It smelled too good. It had been such a long time since she baked a ham, or made mashed potatoes. Too long had it been since she had anyone for the holidays.

She walked over to her stereo, and placed another CD into it. She hit play and White Christmas began to play. She found herself wandering over to the window, and she leaned herself against it. The briskly falling snow had thickened. It was hard to see the square from the window. She groaned, which finished off in a sigh, and sat down, again, on the couch.


* * * * *



Trying to wipe the tears away from her eyes and place the dinner she had spent time on cooking, was hard. It was almost eight thirty, and Brad had failed to show up. She had tried calling him, twice actually, and he wasn't home. Each time, she had told herself that it was because he was on his way over. She had even tempted herself to go down to the park, see if he had been called in, and had just forgotten to call her.

Either way she looked at it, he hadn't shown up. She had sat around, and waited. She didn't eat. Her appetite had vanished, and she didn't want to go looking for it. At seven, she had turned of the CD, which by then, was playing Rock Around the Christmas Tree. She hadn't been in the best mood.

She placed the potatoes into a plastic bowl, and placed a faded blue lid on top of it. She had long since removed her braids. Her hair fell wavy beside her face. She piled the potatoes beneath the gravy, which was beneath the corn. She wiped another tear from her eye and walked to the refrigerator. She didn't know if she had room, but dammit, she'd make room.

She doubted she'd eat any of it. She'd probably take it down to the homeless shelter in the morning. She had thought Brad to be someone better. He hadn't called. He had said he'd be here at six. He said, he said. Brad is a liar. Just like all men. How could she have thought any different? Why did she think that Brad had been the man for her?

She walked into her bedroom, and she shed her clothing. Not even hanging them up, she just tossed them to the other side of the room. She found her large t-shirt and slipped it on. With everything taken care off, food part, anyway, she pulled back the covers, and slid beneath the cool sheets. It was quarter after nine, and she didn't feel like staying up. She didn't. Within a few minutes, her eye lids grew heavy with sleep, and she succumbed to the temptations of sleep.


oooooooooooo



His head hurt like hell. If only he had seen that piece of ice, he wouldn't of had to spend the night in the hospital. He could've enjoyed a nice Christmas dinner. Laycee. He groaned. She wouldn't want to see him. But...he'd have to explain. It hadn't been entirely his fault, that he hadn't shown up.

If only...If only he had seen that piece of stupid ice, he wouldn't have gone flying off the road and head first into the tree. Maybe, if he had been smart, he would've worn his seat belt, and his forehead wouldn't have smacked into the windshield.

He groaned as he slipped on his sweater. It had taken five stitches to close the gash on his forehead. "Remember, don't take any showers until we remove those." Brad turned around and saw the doctor walk in. He smiled at the doctor, who was wearing a Christmas tie, with little lights, which represented the stars upon the tops of the trees.

"I'll remember. Thanks for letting me out on Christmas." Brad replied. He tucked in his white turtle neck into his jeans, and pulled his navy blue sweater down.

"Well, if you had been wearing your seatbelt, I doubt you would've had to stay overnight." Dr. Paulmo, handed him his release form. "Hand this to the nurse at the nurse's station, and you can sign out. Remember, be careful. It's Christmas you know." Dr. Paulmo smiled.

Brad said good-bye to Dr. Paulmo, and headed towards the nurse's station. The nurse, which he had seen the night before, smiled at him. "Going home, I see." She said as she took the release form and looked over it. As she handed him the release paper, which he needed to sign, she spoke, "Don't forget to take aspirin. You'll get a few terrible headaches."

Brad finished signing his name, looked up and smiled. "I won't. I have to remember not to take a shower for the next week, and I have to remember to take aspirin for headaches. Hopefully, I can manage." Brad's smile turned into a grin.

Brad felt the bitter wind as he walked outside. He had been told that his truck had been towed, so, he'd have to find an alternate way to get to Laycee's house. That is, if she'd allow him to explain himself.

He gripped his jacket and raised a hand. A taxi cab stopped in front of him almost immediately. He felt a little surprised. It wasn't every day that you're rewarded with a taxi that was empty, to pull right up in front of you, as soon as your hand reaches the air.

He opened the door, and slid in. "Where to, Mister? The man was playing Christmas music over his radio.

Brad reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a folded white piece of paper, which had Laycee's neat print, of her house address. "Six-Three-Nine, Blake Street, Apartment Twelve-A." Brad looked up at the driver, and watched as he nodded.

It took him almost forty minutes to find Laycee's apartment building, only because the hospital was forty minutes away. The driver acted as if he knew exactly, to the point, where Laycee's house was. Probably, he did.

Brad paid the drive a little extra, mostly because this was Christmas, and instead of being home, with his family, he was driving people around, like himself.

He stood outside, looking up. He felt a wash of shame come over him. He wondered if this was the right thing to do. Then, he wanted to shove his foot into his mouth. Bradley! You're thirty-six years old, grow up! Go up there, and tell her what happened. Ask for a second chance. And with that, he took his first step forward, towards getting back the woman he suddenly felt he couldn't live with out.


oooooooooooo



Spending most of the morning and early afternoon cleaning, trying to forget about yesterday, wasn't working as she had hoped it would. Her hair was wild, from rubbing it, and from the sweat. She rubbed her forehead, and leaned against the couch. The apartment was spotless, yet she finding anything that needed to be cleaned or straightened.

Laycee had just removed her hair band, when there was a knock at the door. She groaned softly, knowing she must look like she had just woken up. At that moment, she didn't care.

She walked across the living room, and stopped at the door. Taking a deep breath, she reached for the doorknob and pulled the door open. She gasped. It was Brad.

She took a step back, and she tried to find the words she wanted to say. The words that had been so full of anger and hurt. Yet, when she saw him. There was something else. Then she noticed. His forehead. Something had happened.

"Can I explain?" He asked. He didn't take a notion of stepping in. He stood there, with his hands in his pockets. A couple thick fluffs of snow flakes laid in his hair, soon to become a droplet of water.

"Please do." She replied gruffly. She crossed her arms in front of her chest and walked away from the door. "Come in and shut the door." She sat down on the couch and Brad followed her.

"I was on my way over here, yesterday. I had left an hour early, because of the weather. I had brought wine and roses, for you. I would've brought them, today, but my truck is at the dump. I--"

Laycee stood. "What do you mean, your truck is at the dump? What happened?"

"I was getting there. I don't know if it was because I wasn't paying attention, or if it was because I didn't see it, or if that's the same thing, I guess it doesn't matter, but my truck skidded across a patch of ice, and I drove head first into a tree." He took a deep breath, still keeping his hands in the pockets of his jacket, and continued, "I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, that much I know. The last thing I remember, is swerving off the road. When I woke up, I was in the hospital, with five stitches in my forehead." He closed his eyes, as she watched, wondering if he was trying to remember what happened, or if pain had overcome him.

She took a step towards him. She was almost afraid to touch him. She had been so angry at him. She had thought...Who cares what she thought, then? She needed to apologize. "Oh, Brad, I'm sorry. I thought..."

"Yeah, you probably thought I stood you up. No, I was planning on meeting you. I'm the one who should apologize. I should've been paying more attention to the road, instead of paying more attention to you."

Her eye brows went up at the last sentence. Had he said what she believed he had said. "What are you saying, Brad?" She asked. She took another step closer to him.

"Oh, I guess that came out a little quicker than I'd hoped. I came here, not only to tell you where I was, and to ask for forgiveness, but to tell you what I've been thinking of you. We've only spent a total of two days together, and in that time, we've gotten to know each other pretty well, I think. I might not know your last name, when or where you were born, but I know that you are infatuated with children, that you one day hope to live on a farm and become a mother. I know that you have goals. I know that you want to become something more special than a kindergarten teacher, yet, you love what you do," He took a deep breath and grinned at her. Her bones seemed to melt, and she felt that the only thing holding her up, was his gaze. "And I know that there is something between us...that we can't yet explain, and that maybe we're a little afraid of that, and at the same time, excited, because we've never experienced this feeling before. I know that you're beautiful inside and out, and that I know that if I keep my eyes in contact with yours for any length of time, I know that a S.W.A.T. team is my only chance of escaping, yet I don't want to. I'd love to look at you everyday, and just stare endlessly for hours, into those beautiful, large, green eyes of yours." He took a step towards her and took her hands. He looked down at her and smiled.

"How can you explain that so perfectly? Expressing how deeply you feel? You've explained how I feel. Except, you didn't explain you, you explained me. I keep thinking about you. I can't get you out of my head. Today, I was trying to clean, to organize, trying to keep my mind off of you, and even then, I couldn't. I close my eyes, and there you are. You're there, and I can't erase you," She closed her eyes, and an image of him appeared on her eye lids. "I continue to think of the gentleman that I saw at the park. The one who acts so shy and innocent, when all he wants is a cup of coffee with a complete stranger. It's hard for me to see how such a man can open me up, and have me explain my life to you, and you the same for me. It only took two days for us to know almost every detail about our lives. There are times, I think about this, and I get afraid. I wonder how could this be? How could a man I meet want to know so much about me? When my life is dull and meaningless. Yet, here you are, at my apartment, asking for my forgiveness, and wanting to be apart of my life." Surprised at her own actions, wondering how the feelings she had just expressed, came out into words. Wondering how they could just swim off her tongue.

"I wouldn't say your life in dull and meaningless. You help children every day of your life. You go to orphanages and you help children to read, you go to day care centers, and you help children their ABC's. You influence children, you can change their lives. I find that kinda meaningful."

Sighing, she pulled away. She turned away from him and walked over to the window. "This can't be happening." She heard herself say. A soft snowfall had begun. She shook her head and sighed.


oooooooooooo



He looked over at her, afraid to take a step forward. If he went over to her, comforted her now, there was never any going back. Without any thought, he took a step forward.

Brad rested a hand on her shoulder. With that sudden touch, Laycee turned, and faced him. "Why can't this be happening?" He asked softly.

"Because. Because I've been single since high school, and that relationship lasted less than two weeks. Because guys look at me, but do nothing more. Because...because I don't know why." She looked away again.

He turned her head, with his forefinger and thumb, resting on her chin. He smiled. Her eyes lit up, and there was a sparkle there that fascinated him. "I think you deserve every good thing that has come your way. Which, I believe, includes this feeling, this...emotion, which has come between you and me. Don't try to push it away. Don't try to deny that it doesn't exist. It does."

She smiled and her eyes filled with tears. Warm ones. One trickled down her cheek, and he stopped it with his thumb. "Oh, Brad!" She wrapped her arms around him. With a soft chuckle, he wrapped his arms around her. She felt so right there. His arms felt so comfortable around her. As so often said between soul mates, they fit like two pieces in a puzzle, so snug and perfect.

He pulled away and looked down at her. She looked up at him. He brushed a strand of copper auburn hair away from her face, and played with her bangs. He leaned down and pressed his lips against her soft and warm ones. He brought his hands to her cheeks, and he felt her hands slide up his back.

Pulling away from the kiss, an idea sprang into his mind, and he grinned. "What?" She asked. Her voice sounded breathless and airy. He took her hand and brought it to his lips. He kissed her knuckles.

"I came up with a perfect idea. It could make this Christmas better than it already is." He said, his voice hearty and warm.

"What could that be?" She asked.

He ran his hands through her hair and brought his hand back to her cheek. "Would you care to join me on a sleigh ride? Just the two of us? Of course, there'd be the driver, but between the two of us, there'd be just us." He watched as a smile crossed her face, and lit it up. Her eyes danced with happiness.


oooooooooooo



Laycee changed into a lilac sweater, and a pair of dark blue denim jeans, and put on her black boots and her leather jacket. She brushed her hair and left it long. She put on her gloves and joined Brad in the living room. A grin spread across his lips as he noticed her.

She couldn't believe this was happening to her. She felt this burst of happiness burst through her. She hardly felt her feet touch the ground. Her heart felt as though it was beating a billion times a second. She felt as though there was a nest of butterflies inside her stomach. This was something she had never felt before.

Brad took hold of her hand and led her outside. The day was warm and pleasant and the snow was light and fluffy. The sounds of laughter from children playing in the snow came from the house across the street. "Would you like to walk?" He asked.

Her might was off in a make believe world, and his question had been caught of deaf ears. "Hmmm?" She asked. He smiled and pulled her close to him.

"Would you like to walk to the park?" He asked again. This time, she heard.

"I'd love too." She replied with a smile. Keeping her close to him, he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She felt so right there. She smelled his scent and she loved the smell of him. He smelled like a man should smell. She smiled against him as the walked. Both of their hands were interlocked with each other's.


* * * * *



Sighing, she noticed the park up ahead. "Great Christmas so far?" He asked. They had pulled apart, but were still holding hands.

"The best. I'm so glad you stopped by. I was miserable." She said with a slight grin.

"So, you're happy that I'm here?" He asked innocently. The vertical lines around his mouth became apparent and she found him incredibly sexy.

"Of course. If I wasn't, I would've kicked you out on your rump, and slammed the door in your face." She heard him chuckle and watched him smile.

The blues of his eyes seemed to become rich. The sapphire color was swirled with the color of laughter. It looked incredibly attractive on him. Everything seemed to look incredibly attractive on him.

Their fingers interlocked, their palms touching through their gloves. Their feet crunched through the snow as they entered the park. The sound of sleigh bells could be heard as the first sleigh came to a stop. They could hear it as it stopped in the center of the park. "Lets hurry, and maybe we can catch the second one." Together, they raced across the packed snow path, and reached the center of the park.

They stopped in the center of the park, just in front of the fountain as the second sleigh came in. The jingle bells jingling, and holly and silver garland decorating the edges of the sleigh. It was a beauty.

"Hello, Tom. Give us a nice right, huh?" Brad said with a grin, as he helped Laycee into the sleigh.

"Of course, Brad. Just remember, I'm doing this for the lovely girl you're with, not you. This is charity, for the poor girl having nothing better to do on Christmas, except being with you." A smile came across Tom's face. His curly brown hair was tucked beneath his snow cap.

"Hardy Har. Just move the sleigh, huh?" Tom chuckled and slapped the reins.


oooooooooooo



The sleigh gave a slight shove, and Laycee fell back against Brad's chest. She blushed and Brad just rubbed his gloved knuckles against her cheek. She laid up against him, her head resting beneath his chin.

Brad couldn't have imagined the ride any better. There was a soft snow in the air, the air was warm, yet still had that wintry crispness. The branches of the trees had a thick layer of snow, creating a surreal feeling, as if they were in a painting. The Clydesdales hooves were softly clapping against the hard packed snow.

His hand rested, interlocked with hers upon her abdomen. The wind rustled through his hair, and he had forgotten about everything, but today and right now.

"When's your birthday?" The question had been so sudden, he had wondered if he had heard it at all.

He lifted his head to look down at her. "My birthday?" He asked. She nodded her head and a lock of copper auburn hair fell in front of her left eye. "September 29." He replied. "What about yours?"

She smiled while she replied, "March 16." She went back to her original position, and he placed his hand interlocked with hers upon her abdomen. This moment couldn't get any better. It was Christmas, and he was sitting in the back of a sleigh, with a woman he knew, now, he couldn't live without. Of course, he'd have to go back home, but he'd see her again, and again.

The soft jingle of jingle bells was hardly heard when Laycee's eyes connected with his. He was lost in her eyes. The snow, the cold, the beautiful landscape, which they were no traveling through, was oblivious to him now. Her eyes speared through him. At the time, he didn't know who had initiated the contact, but later, he'd find out that she had initiated it. He felt her lips upon his, soft, warm and delicate. She placed her hands on the back of his neck, while he wrapped his arms around her lower back.

Sighing contentedly, she rested her head upon his shoulder, with her arms draped lazily around his neck. He had one arm wrapped around her back, and his hand rested on her upper thigh. Even now, the world seemed to be just a fuzzy, opaque background, the sound effects were muzzled and the only thing clear to them at that moment was each other.

The sleigh ran on, with four Clydesdales leading, their hooves slapping against the hard packed snow. The snow was just a few flakes every few minutes. This Christmas, for them at least, was the best they could've asked for. They both had someone who loved them. They weren't alone on the most cheery and joyful time of the year. Love was something they weren't used to, yet, they were all for it, for getting used to it.

By the spring of the following year, Brad would gather up the courage that he had been building over the winter, and asked her to marry him. She had accepted wholeheartedly. Natasha had been so excited, she had fainted in Laycee's living room.

On June 12 of the following that one, they were married beneath the stars on the beach. The wind lapped at their hair, but not at their hearts. They joined to become one, and kissed their first kiss as husband and wife. Laycee's dream of living on a farm with a husband was coming true. By the fall of that year, another part of her dream would be coming true, finding out she was pregnant.

Brad couldn't of asked for life to change around for the best, any better. He had reconciled with his brother Andrew, his wife Isabelle, and their two children. When time came, Isabelle gave birth to their first son. Andrew had been so excited, he had forgotten to name the baby, which he had concluded to be Andrew Parker Harland Jr. Brad would be blessed thirteen months later with twins. Two boys. Victor and Kenneth.

Both Brad and Laycee couldn't have asked for a better outcome to their loneliness. They're happy and have begun a family. Brad, he'd say they had to thank Fate. Laycee, on the other hand, believed that it had to do with a sleigh and four beautiful Clydesdales, on a beautiful afternoon, four days away from Christmas....

© Copyright 2001 Bernie (msbiggs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/292911-The-Sleigh-Ride