*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/295520-Conversations-with-A-Christmas-Elf
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #295520
A conversation with an unusual persona lifts up the holiday spirits. :)
As I approached the candy cane partially hidden in the snow, a strange little elf suddenly appeared.

“Halt! Who goes there?” said the creature.

I told him my name. “And what is yours?” I asked.

”I am Kringle, keeper of the gates. Why are you standing out here in the cold, my dear?” Kringle inquired.

“I have come to seek the wisdom of Santa Claus.” I said.

”Ah, but Santa is busy, it’s Christmas Eve you know.” smiled Kringle.

”Yes I know, but ‘tis important! I have so many things to ask of him! I have to see him, I have to see him right now!” I said panicking.

”Tsk, tsk. You are an impatient one. Come sit beside me.” Kringle said patting the mound of snow beside her.

”But…but…”

“Come and sit.”

As I sit beside Kringle, the mound of snow amazingly felt comforting. The numbness of my freezing body miraculously went away.

“What wisdom do you seek, my dear?” Kringle asked looking into my eye.

“I want to know what makes a person really happy.” I said keeping eye contact with the elf.
“Hmmmm, why do you ask? Are you not happy?” Kringle queried with her eyes squinting.

“I don’t know. I just feel that there is so much sadness going around that it’s so hard to keep myself happy.” I said suddenly bothered with my response.

“But there are still a handful of people who I feel brings sunshine in this gloomy world.” I quickly added.

“Ahhh! These are your gifts! Happiness does not come from material wealth, no…it does not. These gifts, they bring you joy, do they not? Yes, yes. I can see. They are the ones who bring color to your world. Let them know this and you will be truly happy.” Kringle nodded and patted my hand.

Ching! Ching! Ching! Ching! Ho! Ho! Ho! Ching! Ching! Ching! Ching! Ching!

“It’s Santa! It’s Santa!” I shouted jumping up and down. “Look Kringle! It’s Santa!”
But Kringle was gone.

I looked up in the sky and Santa looked at me from his sleigh.

“Let them know, my dear. Let them know.” Santa winked.
© Copyright 2001 padfoot (padfoot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/295520-Conversations-with-A-Christmas-Elf