*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/330604-Eratic-Payne
Rated: 13+ · Novella · Drama · #330604
Story of a twelve year-old and his very abusive step-brother.
Reggie was a small twelve-year-old boy with dirty blond hair and eyes like a scared rabbit. He stood decked out in suit and tie and smelling of an oderous calogne, both forced on him by his father, Bruce. He tugged at his uncomfortable colar and considered sneaking a bread stick while Bruce's back was turned.

"Dad, can't I have just one?" he whined.

"No, we have to wait for Teresa and Payne to arrive," replied Bruce.

Bruce's new romantic interest and her son were late. This would be the first time either Bruce or Reggie had met her son, Payne. Bruce eyed his watch and then relented to allow Reggie a bread stick. Reggie had a tendency to go to a restaurant and lose his appetite, so Bruce had made him skip lunch. Bruce was determined to make a good impression tonight.

Finally Teresa, a woman in her late thirties wearing a pink bussiness suit, walked up to the table, alone. Bruce stood up to greet her.

"Sorry to be late, darling. You know how those tax lawers can keep you," Teresa said.

"Oh, its perfectly alright," said Bruce.

"How are you, Reggie?"

"He's fine," said Bruce, not wanting Reggie to complain about the wait. "Where's the famous Payne I've heard so much about?"

"Oh, he's parking the car. You know how I am; can't stand to let some valet drive my car," she said.

"He can drive?" asked Reggie.

"Why of course, he's seventeen, dear."

Very little had been said about Payne before then. Reggie however was relieved to find out that he was older. This meant it would be more likely that the two would get along. Reggie looked younger than he was and was something of a wimp. Because of this kids his age tended to bully him, but a seventeen-year-old would be more mature.

"Here's my boy now."

A tall, handsome teenager with copper hair and brown eyes walked up to the table. He had a deep tan, perfect teeth, and wore a designer jacket.
"Payne, this is Bruce and his son Reggie," said Teresa. Payne gave a pleasant smile and shook hands with them.

"Quite a grip you got there, big guy," he said to Reggie.

"Thanks, you too."

"I'm sure you too will get to be great friends," said Bruce.

"I'm sure," replied Payne.

Everything about Payne seemed friendly enough to Reggie. He was sure he wouldn't have to worry about Payne mistreating him.

"Are you ready to order, sir?" asked the waiter.

"Dear, I think I'd like to freshen up first," said Teresa.

"I'll go with you, I need to use the men's room," said Bruce.

"You two get to know eachother," said Teresa.

"We will, Teresa," said Payne.

"You call your mom by her first name?" asked Bruce.

"We're very liberal minded," said Payne quickly. Bruce and Teresa walked away hand in hand, leaving the two boys alone.

"Must be cool to call your mom by her first name," said Reggie. "My dad would kill me if I did that."

Just then, all the pleasantness in Payne's face faded. He looked at Reggie up and down with stone eyes. The look he gave him made Reggie feel like a specimen in a jar. But as quickly as it came, it went, and Payne asked:

"Like wrestling?"

"What?"

"Wrestling. Professional wrestling, do you like it?"

"Sure, I guess," said Reggie.

"Good, I've got tickets to see it next week and I thought you'd like to go," said Payne with a grin.

"That'd be great!" exclaimed Reggie. Maybe he and Payne could be friends. "I've never seen it live before. My favorite is The Rock, whose yours?"

"The Undertaker."


"It was cool when the killer chased that girl through the woods and-"

"That wasn't really my favorite part," Reggie cut him off.

Payne stopped and smiled at the slightly shook up Reggie.

"That was the first slasher flick you've ever seen wasn't it?"

"My dad doesn't usually let me go to movies like that," said Reggie, a little embarrassed. "I don't know why he did this time."

"Teresa told him to let me take you," said Payne. "It'll toughen you up."

He punched at Reggie playfully and Reggie backed away out of instinct. Years of bullying made it impossible to play with him like that.

"I'm not really going to hit you," said Payne.

"I know. I'm just a wuss."

"No you're not," said Payne. "But you do need to stick-up for yourself more. Bruce told me you get picked on."

Reggie didn't like that Payne knew about that. Whenever he met someone new he tried to hide that he'd been picked on, so they wouldn't think there was something wrong with him.

He really liked Payne. The two of them had done a lot sense they'd met three weeks before: the wrestling show, amusement parks, the movies. Payne didn't seem to care that Reggie was so much younger than him, and was becoming the best friend Reggie had ever had. Still, Reggie couldn't forget that dissecting look Payne had given him at the restuarant.

"I'm going to run over to that hot dog vender and grab us a couple," said Payne. "Wait here on that bench."

"Sure," he walked over to the bench and sat down.

Payne went across and down the street a little ways. Just as he was out of hearing a boy on the bench next to Reggie turned.

"Hey, how ya doin'?" he asked. He was dressed from head to toe in black with slick jet black hair to match.

"Fine I guess," said Reggie, who was taught not to talk to strangers.

"Ya just come from that new slasher movie?" the stranger asked. "Was it good?"

"More like disturbing."

"Like seeing ya grandmother naked disturbing, or like Hannibal Lector disturbing?"

"I don't know, who's Hannibal Lector?" asked Reggie.

"Geesh, someone's led a sheltered existence."

"Guess so."

"Bet ya friend over there liked it," the stranger sneered.

"So what if he did?" asked Reggie.

"Trust me kid, ya don't wanna be mixed in with people like him."

"Like what?" Reggie thought the stranger was reffering to people with money.

"If ya don't know now, ya will soon enough." He got up to walk away, leaving Reggie confused.


Once they reached Payne and Teresa's house the two saw Bruce's SUV parked in the long drive. They got out of Payne's black Camaro and walked up the side-walk of to the large two story house. The house was white stone with large bay windows and a neatly kept garden.

"This is where you live?" asked Reggie.

"Yes."

"Its big."

"Only fifteen rooms; no big deal," replied Payne.

"You must be loaded," said Reggie, without thinking.

"Guess we are," said Payne.

It was fairly clear that Teresa didn't want Bruce for his money. The two had met when the company Teresa worked for was looking for a new art director. Teresa had offered Bruce a date to make up for not giving him the job. The two had simply hit it off.

When they got in Reggie thought about asking to see Payne's room, but he thought it might seem childish so didn't. They walked to the living room to see Bruce and Teresa kneeling before a fireplace on picnic blanket with a large bottle of wine.

"Alright, Honey, just like we planned," Teresa said to Bruce.

"Payne," Bruce stood up, "I have to ask something of you."

Payne nodded for him to go on.

"Payne, I know that you and Reg' get along wonderfully. I also know that you are a fine young man. Knowing that I know you'll want your mother to be happy. Which is why I'm asking you for permission to take your mother's hand in marriage."

Reggie gasped and for a moment all was silent.

Finnaly Payne smiled and said, "Yes."

Teresa lept up and hugged Payne. In his ear she said thank you. Bruce hugged Payne and Teresa showed him the ring. All the while Reggie just stood back, silent.

Teresa walked over, kissed him on the cheek and, said, "Hear that, Reggie? We're all going to be a family."

Reggie pushed away.

"But you've only known eachother for six weeks," he said.

"Reggie," Bruce said, warningly.

"This is the twenty-first century, sweety. Lots of people get married in shorter times than this," said Teresa. "This is all just a shock to you."

"No. You can't do this!" Reggie shouted. He ran off and out the door before anyone could stop him. He ran down the street for two blocks before tripping on a rock and falling in a ditch. He sat there for a moment before Payne came running down the street after him. Payne said nothing, but merely sat at the top of the ditch in silence.

"Why'd you do that?" Reggie demanded. Payne still said nothing. "If you'd said no they wouldn't do it."

"What makes you think that? After all, she's the mother. That's makes her in charge, right?" It was clear from his voice he didn't really believe that.

"They can't get married after six weeks," Reggie exclaimed. "He can't replace my mother after just six weeks!"

"How do you know? Maybe your mother left some really low standards," said Payne sarcastically. Reggie was speechless; it was the first negative thing Payne had ever said.

"Maybe she was a sucky wife and mother and your dad was glad to be rid of her."

"You can't talk about her that way!" shouted Reggie.

"Awe, is little Reggie a little sensitive about mommy? I hope I didn't upset the poor baby."

Something was wrong. Payne had always been friendly and warm, never showing even a speck of meaness.

"I'm sorry, Reggie," said Payne. He sounded sincere, but then, "Maybe she was a good mother. Maybe you were just such a lousy son that she wanted to die."

"Why are you saying things like that? I thought we were friends."

Payne laughed and scooted down into the ditch next to him. "You and me are gonna be brothers." He flung his arm over Reggie's shoulder, but Reggie pulled away.

"Don't you want to be a family," Payne mocked. "Oh, wait, I just thought of something. What if you are as bad a stepson as a son and make my mom want to die?"

Anger made Reggie bold and he reared back to hit him. Payne caught his arm easily and twisted it around behind his back. He then shoved him face first into the dirt, and sat on top of his back.
"Now why'd you have to go and get violent?" asked Payne. Reggie squirmed but stopped when Payne tightened the hammerlock position on his arm.

"Let me go," he pleaded.

"It's time to get something strait," said Payne. "From now on you are nothing. Nothing but a pathetic little thing for me to play with."

Payne's voice was so cruel that Reggie could hardly believe it was him. Where was the Payne that had been his friend?

"Come on," said Payne. "Let's go."

He got up and climbed out of the ditch.

"Oh, Reggie, just one last thing," he said. As Reggie climbed up Payne reared back and kicked him on the side of the face!

Reggie fell backward and back into the ditch. After a moment he felt the place on his face where the bruise would be. Luckily bruising him was all Payne had wanted to do, or else he would have kicked much harder. As the tears began to swell up in Reggie's eyes, Payne grabbed him roughly by the arm and led him back to the house. Once there, they saw Bruce and Teresa waiting in the doorway, and as they approached Payne loosened his grip.

"What happened?" asked Bruce.

"Oh, he slipped and fell into the ditch," replied Payne. "Must have hit his head on a rock."

"Is that what happened, Reggie?" asked Bruce. Payne tightened his grip.

"Yes, Dad, I fell."


After the night Bruce purposed things went back to how they had been. Payne treated Reggie as he had before, as if that night had never happened. Reggie however did remember, and made it a point to distance himself from Payne. The two were never alone at the same time, but when Bruce and Teresa were with them Payne was the same friendly boy Reggie had liked so much.

"Okay, that needs to go up stairs to Reggie's new room," Teresa said to the mover.

"Sure thing, mam'm," the tall husky man replied.
Bruce walked through the door holding a computer monitor and a box of art supplies. He went up to Teresa, who caught the monitor when he nearly dropped it.

"Careful, darling," she said. "That's what the movers are here for."

"They're here to be clumsy and drop things?" said Payne entering the room.

"Very funny," said Bruce.

"Payne, dear, have you seen Reggie anywhere?" asked Teresa. "I really do need his help to organize his new room."

"He's in the backyard on my old tire swing."

"That boy needs to quit mopping around and act his age," said Bruce.

"Darling, it not his fault," said Teresa. "It's just a hard adjustment for him to make. Maybe we should have waited until after the wedding to move in together."

"Nonsense, he has to face it sooner of later. You and I are getting married and he's just got to except that."

"I'm afraid it's my fault," she said. "He must feel I'm trying to replace his mother. It has to be me, he likes Payne to much for it to be him."

"Look, I'll have a talk with him," said Payne.

"Maybe that'll do him some good," said Bruce, as Payne walked away. "I really think Payne'll be a good influence on Reggie."

Reggie swung back and forth on the old tire swing. He was stewing, like he had been for weeks, about that night in the ditch, and that frightening side of Payne. He thought about telling Bruce the truth, but didn't. Bruce would want to know why he hadn't said so in the first place.

"Hey, kiddo, what's up?" Reggie tensed when he saw Payne approaching. It was the first time they'd been alone in weeks.

"Hi, Payne," he said, nervous.

Payne walked around and started pushing him on the swing.

"That shiner you got when you tripped and fell in the ditch is almost gone," said Payne. Payne sounded so sincere, like he actually believed what he was saying. Reggie didn't reply, but simply stared down at Payne's boots. "You know, I was thinking. You got up pretty well after that bump to the head. I might could take you to the guy who gave me boxing lessons."

"Me a boxer?" said Reggie, momentarily letting his guard down.

"Yeah, not all boxers are big as trucks," said Payne. "You could be like a feather-weight, or something."

"I don't know if I could handle it."

"Sure you could, you just got to set your mind to it," said Payne. "I could help you. I miss you and me paling around."

Reggie took this as an apology and smiled.

"Hey, come on, I want to show you something in my room," Payne said. The two ran back to the house and up the stairs.

It was the first time Reggie had been in Payne's room before. It was expensively decorated but with very few personal touches. It made Reggie think of a hotel room. However, there was a bookshelf with a wide variety of titles, and a cluttered desk.

"Nice room," said Reggie.

"Yeah, Teresa decorated it," Payne said, almost dismissively.

"Whoa, look at all these books," said Reggie as he walked to the shelf.

"Yeah, more gifts from Teresa. I've never read any of them, so feel free to borrow any of them you want."

"What are these over here on the desk?" asked Reggie.

"Just some I bought for myself," said Payne, going into his walk-in closet.

Reggie scanned the literature on the desk. He saw several Stephen King and Dean Koontz, as well as numerous authors he'd never heard of.

"This is what I wanted to show you," said Payne, walking out with a small trunk. When he sat it down Reggie saw that the top had numerous holes drilled into it. "You like animals right?"

"Yeah," said Reggie. This made him think of the time he's hidden a litter of kittens from his father.

"Take a look," said Payne. Reggie peered into the box, but then jerked back. "Relax, she won't hurt you."

Payne pulled from the trunk a five-foot-long snake and drapped it over his shoulders!

"I'm calling her Marilyn," said Payne.

"That's a snake!" exclaimed Reggie.

"Great powers of deduction, but keep it down. Teresa doesn't know about her."

"That's a snake," Reggie repeated.

"The technical term is Bermese Python," said Payne. "Just wait till she's fully grown."

"She's not?"

"No way, somebody told me they can grow to be like fifteen feet long."

"Where'd you get it?" asked Reggie.

"Some guy I know was going to turn her into a pair of boots," said Payne. "But I stopped that, didn't I, sweety," he said to the snake.

"You're gonna keep her?"

"Sure, she'll be like our secret pet. Want to hold her?"

"No way, she might bite me."

"They don't bite the way a rattlesnake does," said Payne. "They choke prey. The guy told me if she ever gets to tight just to bite her on the tail and she'll let go."

"Okay," said Reggie, reaching out for the reptile. It was surprisingly warm and smooth. Reggie drapped it over his shoulders like Payne had, and it wound its way around his arm. "Wow, she's cool."

"Thanks, but remember she's our little secret," said Payne.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

"Boys, its me," said Teresa.

"Quick, give her to me," said Payne, and he put the snake back in the trunk, and pushed it out of sight. "Coming, Teresa."

"Here you are," said Teresa. "I trust you two had a nice talk?"

"Yes, Teresa."

"Good, now Reggie, I really need your help in organizing your new room," she said.

"Sure thing," said Reggie.

As they walked away Reggie suddenly realized something: he had completely forgotten about that night by the road. Payne had been the same nice young man that had been Reggie's buddy. Reggie began to wonder. What if he really had tripped and hit his head that night? What if he had only imagined all the things Payne had said? What if he had only imagined being kicked by Payne?


Reggie stood outside of the church still wearing his tuxedo. His grandmother, Gwyneth, was right next to him handing out bags of birdseed. Payne walked out the front door of the church, having changed out of his tux into one of his designer suits.

"My," said Gwyneth, "that Payne is the handsome one, isn't he?"

"Yeah," said Reggie.

"Your cousin Margaret's been eyeing him all day," she said. "Had to remind her he's her cousin now."

"Doubt that matters to her," said Reggie.

"Well, can't blame the girl for wanting to look," said Gwyneth. "Don't you worry, sprite. You're going to be quite the handsome lad yourself. In do time."

"Thanks, Gram," he replied. Gwyneth's compliments never came out quite right, but Reggie knew she meant well.

"Alright, everyone," said Payne. "The bride and groom are coming."

In a few moments Bruce and Teresa came out and were showered in birdseed. Only Payne stood back while the rest threw. After the walk through the seed was over, Bruce and Teresa bidded farewell to Payne and Reggie and drove off on there honeymoon in a white limousine.

"It was a beautiful service," said Gwyneth.

"Indeed it was," said Payne.

"I really must compliment the reverend before I go."

"He had to leave early," said Reggie. "But you'll see him Sunday at church."

"Oh," said Gwyneth, "didn't your father tell you?"

"What?"

"Sprite, I afraid your poor Aunt Agnes has taken ill. I've got to go fly home and see her immediately."

"But you're suppose to stay with me and Payne while they're on their honeymoon."

"Me, Bruce, and Teresa already talked about that," said Payne. "They decided just to let me be in charge while they're gone."

Reggie wasn't sure how to react.

"But I really wanted you to stay, Gram."

"Pooh, you don't want an old lady like me hanging around," she said. "Payne seems like a responsible sort. You'll be fine." She kissed him on the forehead. "I really have to hurry. Teresa spent a fortune to get me a flight out tonight. Goodbye, Payne."

"Goodbye, Gwyneth," he said while shaking her hand.

"You two be good, your parents said they'd call as soon as they'd arrived at the hotel," she said.

"Bye, Gram, I love you," said Reggie.

"Same to you, Sprite."

"Come on, Reg', let's go home," said Payne.

"Shouldn't I change first?"

"Who cares? It's not like that tux's rented," Payne replied. They walked around the church building to Payne's car and got in.

"Hey, Reggie," said Payne.

"What, Payne?"

"Look up there at the side of the building." What Reggie saw was a large stone carving of Christ on the cross. "What do you think of when you see that?"

"God I guess," said Reggie.

"And what do you think of when you think of Him?" Payne asked.

Reggie thought for a moment.

"I guess..." he started.

"You guess what?"

"I guess I think of something good," said Reggie. "Like there's someone watching over me. Protecting me."

"Protecting you? From what, is there something that scares you?" Payne sneered.

"No, I don't think there's anything that really scares me," Reggie answered.

Payne just smiled. A smile that seemed to say, "We'll see about that."


Once back at the house Reggie went straight upstairs to get out of his tuxedo.

"Hey, Payne," he yelled down stairs.

"What?"

"I'm gonna take a shower, okay?"

"Sure, whatever, just make sure and leave me a little hot water," Payne said.

Reggie gently layed out the pieces to his tux and then got in the shower. He let the hot water relax him and leaned back against the shower wall with his eyes closed. Two whole weeks alone with Payne. By that point he had nearly convinced himself that the whole kicking incident had never happend. After all, it seemed easier to believe that he'd been hallucinating than that Payne could have said and done those things.

Reggie reached out and turned on the radio sitting on the bathroom countertop. He tuned it to his favorite eighties rock station and began to sing along to some soft ballad. He listened to three more songs before he was brought out of it by the shock of ice cold water. He dried off and put on his bathrobe.

In the hallway he passed Payne, who ruffled his wet hair and said, "Think its time for you to hit the hay, champ."

"Sleep well," said Reggie, sincerely.

"I will."

Reggie went to his room and put on a pair of red flannel pajamas, before crawling under a warm bedspread. He said his prayers the way Gwyneth had taught him, and for just a moment he stared at the picture of his mother on the nightstand. When he was done he settled in for a nice long night's sleep.

"Reggie!" shouted Payne from the bathroom. The angry shout made Reggie sit-up straight, as he heard Payne cursing in the other room. Suddenly Payne throw open the door to his room and stood in the doorway. He had on nothing but a towel and his body was splashed with water.

"What's the matter?" asked Reggie, frightened by
Payne's enraged face.

"What's the matter?" shouted Payne. "You know whats the matter you little puke!" Payne stood there boring into Reggie with eyes of fire.
He rushed forward and grabbed Reggie, one handed,
by the colar and pulled him out of bed. Reggie fell to the floor but Payne preceded to drag him across it. Finnally Reggie managed to reach his feet, but by that time they were in the bathroom.

"I told you to save me some hot water, damn it!" Payne said. "But you had to stay in here too long listening to that fagot music. Well let me show you what it feels like to get in the shower and feel nothing but freezing water coming out!"

The shower was still going and Payne slung Reggie into the bathtub and aimed the showerhead right at him. Reggie started to get out, but stopped.

"Don't even think about getting out!" screamed Payne. "You'll stay in there until I say, or else that kick I gave you before will seem like nothing compared to what I do now!"

Payne turned out the light before walking out and closing the door. Reggie curled up in a ball and shivered, too afraid Payne might come back to move. His skin began to feel like it was covered in pins and needles, before finnally going numb. He tried to think warm thoughts; anything other than the unstopping streams of water.

After at least three hours Payne returned. He turned off the water and felt of Reggie's forehead.

"Ought-oh, I think someone may have caught a cold," said Payne, back in usual character. Payne may have sounded back to normal, but Reggie detected the sick pleasure behind this comment. "Dry-off and get right to bed. I'll go get you my electric blanket."

Reggie did as Payne said and eventually warmed-up. But he never stopped shaking.


Reggie awoke the next day aching all over. The electric blanket hadn't helped. His throat was sore and he knew he had a fever.

After the incident last night he had fallen into a restless sleep and had woke up a number of times. Each time he could hear Payne in the next room, and unless Payne had fallen asleep with the stereo on, he was still awake.

He simply lay there trying to think. What could he do? Was he just suppose to pretend nothing was wrong? Payne had admitted to what had happened that night by the road. Last night had been even worse, because before Payne had merely been cruel. This time he had actually been angry.

He couldn't call his father. Would Bruce even believe him? It didn't matter, Bruce was a thousand miles away and Payne was right there. The music from Payne's room was still blaring, but eventually it stopped. Reggie pulled back the covers and acted like he was still asleep, as Payne staggered in his room.

"Quit acting like you're asleep and shut those damn curtains," ordered Payne.

Reggie did as he was told, though he still felt weak. Payne leaned against the wall in the same clothes he worn the night before. He was rubbing his forehead and had a strange smell about him. After a moment it occurred to Reggie what it was.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" asked Payne.

"I'm sick," said Reggie, meekly.

"Ah, do I need to take the poor baby's temperature with a thermometer up his..." Payne didn't finish the sentence, but continued to rubbed his blood shot eyes. "Bruce called last night. Told me to tell you he loved you," Payne said. "Ain't that a joke. The only person that wipe loves is himself."

"I think I'll stay in bed today," said Reggie.

"Fine, but I sure as hell ain't gonna wait on you," said Payne, irritably. "Take some aspirin, or something."

Reggie breathed a sigh of relief when he left. He wasn't sure whether or not Payne had dropped the act, or if it was merely the hangover talking. He also wondered if Payne would keep drinking this way for as long as their parents were away.

"Good," Reggie talked to himself, "if he's passed out drunk all the time he can't hurt me."

Reggie lay there for the rest of the day, not hungry enough to get up. He did get thirsty, but didn't want to go to the kitchen for a drink. As he lay there , staring at the numbers on his clock radio, he realized he'd have to get up eventually. Just as he got up the nerve Payne came in carrying a tray.

Payne had changed his clothes and showed no signs of the hangover. He put the tray, which contained a picture of orange juice and a bowl of soup, on Reggie's night stand.

"Thank you," said Reggie, quietly.

Payne just looked at him without emotion. Still, Reggie knew that the golden boy facade was over.
"Take some of this Tylenol," said Payne. "I got some friends coming over."

"I won't bother you."

"Bother me? I want you dressed and down stairs in half an hour. Got it?"

"Yes, sir," said Reggie.

This made Payne smile, before he left the room. Reggie could only wonder what kind of friends Payne would have.


Reggie did as he was told and got ready. He brushed his hair and teeth and put on fresh clothes, but he decided not to take a shower. The combination of the Tylenol and the bed rest made him feel a little bit better.

"Reggie," called Payne from down stairs. "Get down here, I want you to meet somebody."

Reggie slowly walked down the stairs and peered into the livingroom. He inspected those in the room. Two guys wearing a combination of chain jewerly, army fitigues, and punk rock t-shirts were sitting in the middle of the floor. In a chair was a guy wearing a t-shirt and jeans, with round wire-framed glasses. Finnally, sitting next to Payne, was a girl. She had jet black hair, pale skin, wore a black dress, and all her nails were painted black as well.

"Hey, guys, this is one I've been telling you about," said Payne.

"What's up?" said the two on the floor.

"Hey," replied Reggie.

"Come over here," instructed Payne. He pulled Reggie down on the couch inbetween him and the girl. Reggie saw only a brief smile from the girl, but regardless of how she dressed, she didn't send off a bad vibe the way the other three did.

"Reg', allow me to introduce Hel," said Payne.

"Charmed," said the girl.

"Those two S.O.B.s on the floor are Cougar and Ford," Payne continued. "The one over there is Kevin."

Reggie looked at Kevin; he was even scarier than the other two. He was staring at Reggie in a disturbing way that made Reggie's skin crawl. Another thing he noticed was that Kevin seemed to be at least in his thirties.

"Kevin takes some getting used too," said Payne. "I know he's kinda old, but he loves kids."

This made Hel sigh and role her eyes. She made no attempt to hide the disgusted look she gave all three of Payne's friends. She started to stroke Reggie's hair in a way that made him uncomfortable.

"Sorry," said Hel, aware of what she'd been doing. "I have a little brother your age who I do that too all the time."

"It's okay."

"Hey, babe," she said to Payne. "I thought we were gonna go out."

"We are," said Payne.

"You're all leaving?" said Reggie.

"Me and Hel are," said Payne. "But I can't leave you home alone sick. So Cougar, Ford, and Kevin are going to stay here to babysit."

Payne didn't even attempt to keep himself from grinning. Reggie's heart sank at the idea of being left alone with this pack of freaks.

"Baby..." said Hel.

"Everything will be fine," said Payne. "Let's go."

Hel shrugged and said, "See you later, little man," to Reggie. Then to the rest, "See'ya, jackasses."

"Ya know, Payne, ya shouldn't let ya woman talk to ya boys like that," said Cougar.

"I'll talk to you however I want, trash."

"Look who's talkin', bitch," said Ford. Reggie was surprised how Payne didn't come to Hel's defense.

"You're the only bitch here," replied Hel.

Ford fidgetted like he might get up, but stopped when he met Payne's gaze.

"Let's go, Hel," Payne said. But before he left he bent down close to Cougar. Reggie heard Payne do the last truly kind thing he would ever do for him, when he told Cougar, "Don't leave Reggie alone with Kevin."


"So, kid, you listening to us?" asked Ford.

"I'm sorry?" said Reggie. Somewhere in the conversation he'd zoned out.

"It ain't no use," said Cougar. "The kid ain't down."

"Sure's he is," said Ford. "He's Payne's bro; he's gotta be in. He just don't understand because he's been fed all those lies."

"What lies?" asked Reggie.

"All the crap them beaurocratic asses in Washington pumped out to the public. All the stuff the Jews, and the fags, and the blacks want you to believe."

"All them stupid whinning minorities are ruining America," said Cougar. "There ain't no room for White Anglo Saxon Protestants. This is the white man's country, and it's time people like us do something before it's too late."

"Are you guys in the Klan?" asked Reggie.
"We wish," said Ford. "There ain't no groups like that around here. Us two, Kevin, and Payne are the only ones here to fight the good fight."

"And when the time comes we're gonna make a statement."

"What kind of statement?" asked Reggie.

"We better not let ya know just yet," said Ford. "But don't worry kid, when the time comes you'll be right next to us."

"What's Payne think about all this?"

"Ah, ya brother's nothing but a spoiled rich boy," said Cougar. "But that comes in handy sometimes, so we let him hang with us."

"I see."

Despite the dark side of Payne, Reggie found it hard to believe that he would go in for the things these two were talking about. No matter how cruel he had been, Payne was too smart for that.

"You do want in, don't you?" asked Kevin, speaking for the first time.

"I don't know," replied Reggie.

"Cause ya know, we can't just be telling you stuff if you ain't one of us."

"It's about trust," said Cougar, cold as steel.

That's when it dawned on Reggie. This is what Payne had had in mind. He had known that if he left Reggie alone with these three that this would happen. Payne may have even told them to try and recruit Reggie into their sick little gang. Reggie was scared of what would happen if he said no.

"You can trust me," said Reggie. If he could stall until Payne got back he might not have to answer. "I won't be a stool pigeon."

"Doesn't matter," said Ford, "Either you're in with us, or you ain't."

"Ya see, my boy," said Cougar, "we don't want nobody to know about how we feel, just yet."

"And if you ain't in, well, we'd just have to make sure you don't go telling anybody."

"So, we got to know right now," said Kevin. "Are you in? Cause if you ain't..."

Reggie understood he was being threatened, that was painfully clear. But was it a death threat? Would they really kill him?

Reggie was sweating. He would have been helpless against just one of these monsters. The cordless phone was on the coffee table. He could have grabbed it, ran into the bathroom, locked the door, and called nine-one-one. But Kevin was sitting between him and the door. He was stuck with no escape.

"Alright," Reggie caved-in, "I'm in."

Ford and Cougar nodded at eachother.

"Now it's time for the initiation," said Kevin.

"What kind of initiation?"

"Let's start," said Ford.

"We'd better do it in the basement," said
Kevin. "Less noise."

"What do you mean noise?" asked Reggie.

"Come on, the door to the basement is in the kitchen," said Ford.

"What are you gonna do?"

"Relax, it's real simple."

Ford and Cougar grabbed him by the arms and half led, half dragged him into the basement. Three steps short of the bottom of the stairs they threw him down to the bottom.

Reggie started to pick himself up, but Ford and Cougar were on him too fast. Ford took hold of his legs and removed his shoes and socks, before beggining to pull at his jeans, while Cougar quickly stripped him of his shirt!

"What are you doing! Stop it!" he shouted, but it was too late. Ford had already ripped off his pants and underwear, leaving him lying on the floor, nude!

He tried to conceal his shame with his hands, while the two teenagers snickered at the sight of his naked body. He scrambled wildly for something to cover with, but was blocked where ever he turned!

"Why are you doing this?" he began to sob. "What are you going to do?"

"Relax boy," said Kevin, coming down the stairs. "After all, we are all men here," he continued, undoing his belt...

"N-no," said Reggie. "You can't... NO!" He turned to Ford and Cougar. "Payne said for you not to let him..." he couldn't finish the sentence.
Cougar laughed.

"Chill, kid, that ain't what he's gonna do," said
Ford.

Reggie watched as Kevin snapped the belt in his hand. For a moment he just stared down at Reggie. But then, he reared back and whipped him across the back!

The force of the blow knocked the wind out of Reggie. His father had spanked him with a belt, but nothing like this! Kevin passed the belt to Cougar. Reggie didn't care that he was naked; he rushed up and was going to shove past Kevin and run out of the house. But before he even reached the stairs Ford pulled him back down from behind, by the hair.

"Stay down," said Kevin, calmly. "Ten swats, that's all it is, and you're in."

"I don't want in!"

"Too late."

Cougar lashed him from behind! It felt like he'd been cut with a knife. Indeed, he reached back and saw that it had drawn blood.

"Please, stop," he pleaded, through tears.

Next it was Ford's turn. He struck just above the small of Reggie's back. Reggie touched the place where he felt the terrible, shocking pain. Once again he tried to escape, but by then Kevin had the belt again, and lashed him across the back again

"Stay down," he said again.

"Its almost over," said Ford, sympathetic.
Reggie curled into a ball and tried to cover his back. He either got whipped on the arms or in a different place. It continued until each of them had whipped him three times.

"Stand him up," ordered Kevin. Cougar and Ford did as they were told. "Turn his back to me."

"No," Reggie struggled, afraid what he'd originally feared might happen.

But Kevin just lashed him once more across the behind, and said, "And one to grow on," like it was a birthday spanking.

Cougar and Ford let him fall to the ground, in pain. He lye there again curled up in a ball, and tried to sooth his aching bruises and lash marks.

"This part is rough," said Ford. "We'll leave you alone."

As they went up the stairs Reggie's whimpering became more violent. He cried until he thought he might be sick. He just stayed there on the floor, no will to get up, thinking about how all of this was because his dad had remarried.


Reggie was half asleep when he felt himself being rapped up in a blanket, and flung over someone's shoulder.

"Dad?" his first instinct said.

There was no response. Reggie was carried up the stairs and into his bedroom, where he was laid down in his own bed. Whoever had carried him left without a word.

Reggie fell asleep on his stomach and slept through until the next afternoon. When he awoke he found on his nightstand some bandages and peroxide. He got dressed and doctored his wounds.

He then ventured downstairs for something to eat.
Payne was sitting in a chair at the bottom of the staircase, with his feet propped up on the end of the banister. It was clear he was waiting. As Reggie descended the stairs, Payne's face showed an expression that seemed to say, "Good, he can walk." But that was all he showed when he looked at the beaten Reggie. Reggie was afraid to speak.

"Real bastards, ain't they?" asked Payne, breaking the silence.

Reggie didn't respond.

"My friends. They're real bastards, ain't they?" Payne said again. "Come on, its okay to answer. I know what it'll be." Reggie still didn't know what to say.

"Come on, its okay to say what you think," said Payne. "I don't give a damn about those rejects from the neo-Nazi."

"They're your friends," said Reggie, meekly.

"They're... interesting company," said Payne. "Occasionally they're even useful, but they are not my friends."

"You left me here with them so that they could do that to me," said Reggie. "Bet they didn't do that to you when you joined." Reggie expected Payne to get angry, but instead he laughed.

"The only thing those idiots stripped off me was my wallet. When I let them."

"Why?"

"Because they're poor and no one's stupid enough to hire them," said Payne sarcastically.

"No. Why did you let them do that to me?"

"Its okay, Reg'," said Payne. "They're never going to hurt you again. Want to know why?"

"Why?"

"Because you belong to me."


"Knock, knock."

It was Hel. She opened the door all the way and walked into Reggie's room.

"Hi," said Reggie.

"What's up, little man?"

"Nothing," said Reggie.

It was three days after the incident in the basement. He hadn't seen Hel sense that night.

"Cool room," said Hel. "Kinda like my little brother's, except no Korn or Slipknot posters."
Hel was darkly beautiful. She had all the features of a hot villainess from a movie; only her eyes and voice ruined the illusion.

"Really?" said Reggie. She made Reggie nervous. She may have seemed nice enough, but so had Payne.

"You aren't scared of me, are you?" asked Hel.

"No."

"Yes you are," she said. "I know when I'm being lied to by a twelve-year-old boy."

"No, really, you're nice," said Reggie.

"Its okay, I know the deal," she said. "Let me set ya straight on a few things: I wear all black 'cause it goes with anything, and God just happened to bless me with milky white skin. So if scared because you think I'm some big time Goth, don't be."

It was then that Reggie knew she was real. She was too blunt to be acting the way Payne had been.

"Payne wants you down stairs," she said.

"Okay."

Reggie got up and walked towards the door. Hel stopped him from behind and lifted up the back of his shirt.

"Uhh..." said Reggie, looking for an excuse.

"Don't make excuses," said Hel. "I know what happened."

"You do?"

"I have a pretty good guess," she said. For a moment she held his head in her arms, before letting go. "Get downstairs," she said. He did as he was told.

"Get your stuff," said Payne.

"Huh?" said Reggie.

"You're going to spend the night over at Hel's with her brother."

"Why?"

"It'll be good for you," said Payne. "You changed school districts when you moved. It'll be nice for you to already have a friend before you start school here."

"Its totally cool," said Hel. "Toby can get along with anyone."

"His name is Toby?"

"Yeah, but he hates that, so call him Tobias."

"I don't know," he said to Payne. "I don't know if I feel like it." He was afraid that Payne might be setting him up again.

"Come on," said Hel. "It was my idea; I already told Toby to expect you."

"It was your idea?" If it was then it meant that it would probably be okay.

"Sure, you'll have a great time," she said.

"Alright, I'll go pack," he said.

A few minutes later they were in Payne's car and on their way. They pulled up in front of a small, slightly run-down looking house, with a picket fence that needed painting. They were in the lower-middle class section of town.

"Come on," said Hel. They all walked up to the house, and were greeted at the door by a woman in a pink housecoat and curlers.

"Payne," she said. "What a pleasant surprise."

"Hi, Misses Ray," said Payne. The woman tried to half-way conceal herself outside the doorway.

"Why, Helena, you should have told me we were going to have visitors. Look at me, I'm a mess," Misses Ray said.

"Chill, at least you still have your make-up on," replied Hel. Hel pushed past the woman and into the house.

"This is my little bro Reggie," said Payne.

"Why, I didn't know you had a brother," said Misses Ray. "If only I had another daughter!" she giggled.

"Reggie's my stepbrother," said Payne. "But he feels like family already."

He's so convincing, thought Reggie.

"Well, do come in," she said. "I'll just go put on something more presentable."

In the livingroom was a bald man in his late forties, lounging back in a recliner. He didn't seem to notice them over the ballgame on TV.

"Reggie," said Hel.

He turned around to see her standing there with a boy his age. He was only slightly bigger than Reggie, and had the same black hair and pale skin as Hel. He wore torn jeans and a Metallica t-shirt.

"This is Tobias," said Hel.

"Tobias," said Payne, "this is Reggie."

"Geeze, you two act like you're introducing a
pair of six-year-olds on a play date," said Tobias.

"Toby, don't be a punk," said Hel.

Tobias looked at Reggie and said, "Reggie, that's short for Reginald, ain't it?"

"Yeah."

"Good, I'm gonna call ya that due to my boycott on stupid childish nicknames," said Tobias. "That cool?"

"I guess," replied Reggie, a bit put off by the boy.

"Come on, I'll show ya were to put ya crap," said Tobias. He threw an arm over Reggie's shoulder and lead him through the hallway. "Just throw it down anywhere."

"Nice room," said Reggie. Hel had been right about it being a lot like his room except for the posters.

"Yeah, whatever."

"Hey," said Hel, peeking her head through the door. "I told Mom that Reggie's staying. I'm probably gonna spend the night over at Payne's."

"Don't be a ho," said Tobias.

"Watch your mouth," she said, before leaving.

"Your mom won't care if she spends the night with Payne?" asked Reggie.

"You kindin'?" said Tobias. "She's just happy her daughter's found a man with a Platinum Card."

"Are you serious?" said Reggie.

"Please, she's probably in there right now dancin' up and down cause I've got a rich friend now," replied Tobias. It took Reggie a moment to realize what he meant.

"I'm not rich," said Reggie. "Payne and Teresa are the rich ones."

"Whatever you say," he said. "Wanna play Playstation? I got like fifty games."

"Sure," said Reggie.

"Okay," he pulled out a shoebox and riffled through the compact disc cases. "Pick one."

"Nah, you pick. I don't have a Playstation."

"My favorite's called Blood to Bone, but you wouldn't like it," said Tobias.

"Why?"

"Its violent, and you've led a sheltered life," replied Tobias.

"Who said that?" asked Reggie. "Payne?"

"No, you did," said Tobias. "That night on the bench outside the theater."

Reggie remembered that night when the boy in black clothes had warned him about Payne.

"That was you?" said Reggie, amazedly.

"Yep," said Tobias. "I saw you come out with that sleeze ball and was gonna leave, but when Payne didn't notice me I decided to check you out."

"Why would you wanna do that?" asked Reggie.

"I wanted to see if you was some kinda creep he was gonna be bringing around my sister," said Tobias. "But the moment I looked you in the eye I knew you wasn't."

"How?"

"I can just tell about people. Its a gift."

"You mean like a psychic?" Reggie laughed.

"No, but women ain't the only ones with intuition, ya know," Tobias said. "I could tell about you, just like I can tell about that demon Payne."

"Payne's cool," said Reggie, trying to sound defensive. "He's always been really nice to me," he lied.

"I can also tell when I'm being lied to," said Tobias.

"I'm not lieing. Payne really is a great guy." What was he doing? He was defending Payne. He was to embarrassed to admit what had happened. Not just the beating in the basement, but how he hadn't been able to stop the other things, and how he'd been fooled by Payne.

"Alright," said Tobias, "I beleive you."

"Good," said Reggie.

"So if I were to do this..." he slapped Reggie across the back, "... it wouldn't hurt?" Reggie cringed from the pain.

"That didn't hurt," said Reggie, poorly.

"Quit lieing," said Tobias, "Hel fed me some story about you fallin' down the stairs. Unfortunately for her, I ain't brain dead."

"Hel said that?"

"Don't be surprised," said Tobias. "Hel's a good person, and one hell of a big sister, but she'll do anything for Payne."

"Why? She has to know what he is really like."

"She knows, but she likes the way he treats her."

"Has he ever done anything to you?" asked Reggie.

"Nope," said Tobias. "But I've pushed his buttons a few times, and he's let it show around the edges."

"Are you scared of him?"

"No way, although, I probably should be," said Tobias. "It's not just that Payne has an abusive true nature, or that he's cruel, or that's he's an enormous fake."

"What is it then?" asked Reggie.

"Reginald, my boy, there's something dark behind those big brown eyes of his. Something evil."


Reggie and Tobias became friends fairly easily. Tobias was outspoken, and Reggie didn't take offense easily, so they got along great. Tobias introduced Reggie to his diverse consortment of friends and he was instantly excepted.

He had talked to his father on the phone just one time sense he'd left. Payne had casually been standing behind Reggie at the time. Bruce and Teresa weren't due back for two more days. He contemplated what to do when Bruce returned.
He couldn't tell the truth about what had went on. The bruises on his back weren't as bad as he'd thought, and were beginning to fade. The two lashes that had broke skin weren't likely too scar, and now Payne might really be able to pass the marks off as the result of an accident. Bruce would beleive Payne, thinking Reggie was just acting out by making-up wild stories.

He sat in the livingroom watching TV. He realized there was no point in staying away from Payne; Payne would strike whenever he wanted. Payne hadn't done or said anything negative to him in days, but three more times he'd stayed up all
night drinking.

He jumped when he felt something furry touch the back of his neck. He turned and saw Payne, holding a live rabbit.

"What's that for?" asked Reggie. "New pet?"

"Pet food," replied Payne.

"For Marilyn?" Reggie had seen or thought of the snake in weeks. He assumed it was still up in Payne's trunk.

"Yep," said Payne. "Wanna watch?"

Reggie was disqusted but didn't want to risk offending Payne, so he said, "Okay."

Once upstairs Payne handed Reggie the rabbit and went into his closet for the trunk. Reggie stroked the cute fuzzy creature's nose, and knew he would't be able to watch the reptile devour it. Payne returned and open the lid to Marilyn's trunk.

"Look, Payne, I really don't have the stomach-"

"Shut-up," Payne snapped. Reggie's whole body tensed. "It's time to feed Marilyn."

Reggie offered him the rabbit.

"Nope, you're going to do it," said Payne. Reggie just stared down at the little animal in his hands.

"Look at me," ordered Payne. Payne sat down on the bed beside him and put his hand on his shoulder. "Listen up, cause this is the only time I'm gonna come out and say this. I know you are scared of me. But you haven't seen scary, yet."
The sound of his voice sent chills through Reggie. He would have rather been in the basement being beaten again, than have to sit there for another second.

"Its only gonna get worse from here on in. You think daddy being home's gonna help? It won't, I've made sure of that," said Payne. "But I'm offering you a chance. A chance to go back like it was before, for me to be the nice Payne who took you to wrestling and the movies, again."

"W-what do I have to do?" asked Reggie.

"All you have to do is feed Marilyn."

Reggie looked at the small white rabbit in his hands. All he had to do was drop it into the snake's trunk and all his problems would be solved. Reggie didn't want to kill the rabbit, but just because he was kind hearted didn't mean he was stupid.

"I'll do it," said Reggie. He reached out to drop the rabbit.

"Hold it," said Payne. "What are you doing?"

"I said I'd do it," said Reggie.

"Oh," said Payne. "You don't understand. Marilyn was raised in captivity, so she can't eat live prey."

"So what am I suppose to do?"

"Simple. Snap the bunny's neck."

"I can't do that!" exclaimed Reggie. He could give it to the snake to kill, but he could never take an animal's life himself.

"Why not? It's the law of the jungle."

"No."

Payne grabbed the rabbit violently, threw it into the trunk, and slammed the lid! He kicked the trunk across the floor and then turned around and slapped Reggie!

"I knew you wouldn't have the balls to do it," said Payne. "Go to your room and don't come out until you grow a pair."

Reggie ran to his room, but didn't cry. He lay on his bed in silence.

"It'll be okay," he said to himself. "Soon Dad'll be home and Payne won't be able to get away with this stuff anymore."

He honestly believed that, despite what Payne had
said. Yes, everything would be fine as soon as Bruce was home.


"Boys, we're home," called Teresa, from down stairs. Reggie ran down the stairs to where she and Bruce stood in the livingroom.

"Dad!" he shouted.

Bruce gave him one glance and then said, "Just a second, Teresa was saying something."

"Dad, I'm so happy to see you," said Reggie.

"Son, I told you Teresa was talking," said Bruce, annoyed. "What were you saying, honey?"

"Oh, nothing," she said, giving Reggie a small hug.

"Reggie, you go unload our bags from the car, we're beat," said Bruce. Then he and Teresa went up the stairs, without he much as hugging Reggie. Reggie just stood there, dumbfounded by his father's behavior. He unloaded the bags before going upstairs and knocking on Bruce and Teresa's door.

"Not now, we're trying to rest," said Bruce on the other side of the door. Again Reggie couldn't believe it.

"A two week honeymoon and they're already in the sack again, huh?" said Payne, just getting home after being gone all day. "Sorry I missed the homecoming. Sure it was real tear jerking."

Payne then knocked on the door. "It's me. Just wanted you to know I was alive," he said. Then, under his breath, "You stupid jackasses."

The door opened and Bruce stood there smiling at Payne. "How are you?" he asked, shaking Payne's hand.

"Fine," replied the conartist. "How was your trip?"

"Wonderful, simply wonderful," said Bruce.

"Well, I just came home to change clothes, I've got to go help out some friends of mine."

"Oh, no, stay," said Bruce. "Catch up with me and your mother."

"No, I really do have to go," said Payne. "It's really important. But you know, Reggie could come along if he wants."

"Well, of course he wants too," said Bruce. "Don't you, Reggie?"

"I don't really feel like it," said Reggie. "I'd rather stay here with you and Teresa."

"Nonsense, why would a boy want to stay here and talk with us old people," said Bruce. "He'll go with you Payne. It'll give me and Teresa some time to rest."

"Alright," said Payne. Bruce closed the door. "Go get ready, Reg."

Reggie turned to go to his room.
"Oh, and Reggie," said Payne. "I told you so."

TO BE CONTINUED...
© Copyright 2002 rightz85 (rightz85 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/330604-Eratic-Payne