*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/337698-Richies-Death-and-Repossession
Rated: GC · Short Story · Death · #337698
How'd that blood get on your windshield, Theo? How'd it get there?
It was a day like any other that Richie Bowers was killed. A normal, sunny-partly-cloudy summer day. The sun had even been partially in her eyes, when she hit him. She had been making the turn at Rapids and Bolter roads, when it had come out from behind the cloud that she had just been thinking looked kind of like a boat. It had come out from behind that big Titanic of a cloud, and she had decided that she then needed her sunglasses. Even though her house was less than 5 minutes away, she still needed them nonetheless. So when the sun came out and she reached down to retrieve the glasses, Richie Bowers just so happened to be crossing the street on his way back from the mailbox, browsing through the envelopes and flyers addressed to the small gas station he was cashier for.
“One week only sale. Right. They’ll come out with another flyer next week advertis--”
Richie’s last words weren't particularly poetic. Although he probably couldn’t have come up with anything poetic to say had he known he was about to be struck by the front end of Theo’s beat-up Ford Tempo. Doesn’t matter really, because that was what he said and that was what happened.
Theo came around the corner, just sitting up from grabbing her glasses off the floor of the passenger side, and was greeted with the sight of Richie directly in front of her nose. She didn’t even have to put her foot on the break pedal, she was upon him immediately and felt a slight jolt as he hit the grill of her car and slammed into the windshield, and tumbled over the top of her car. Theo saw his crumpled body lying innate in the center of her lane through her rear-view mirror. She didn’t have time to apply the brakes before she hit him, and didn’t apply them afterwards, either.
She had seen his face, when he hit the windshield. He was that boy from the gas station, the kid with the black hair, pale skin, unusual eyes. Christ, he probably wasn’t even old enough to purchase alcohol. And she had KILLED him? He looked so surprised, too.
...What was she thinking? She hadn’t hit a kid. Where did THAT crazy idea come from? She put her glasses on. Hit a kid. What a thought. Jeez.
Theo arrived at home a few minutes later and parked her car in front of her house. She got out and walked around the front to her front door. On the way, she saw a smear of something red on her windshield. She stopped and inspected it. Dabbed her index finger into it.
“Damn it, KETCHUP? What in the hell?” She stared at her reddened finger tip. “No, blood, you silly goose.” She continued on into her house. Set her keys down on the stand next to her answering machine. Went into the bathroom.
Theo gazed down at her panties. She cocked her head, nonplussed. Blood.
How’d that blood get on your windshield? How’d that blood get there, Theo?
She grabbed a panty liner from under the sink and peeled the wrapper off, pressing it into her panties. ‘All right now,’ she thought, standing up.
Theo walked back out into the living room and noticed that there was a message on her machine. The little red light blinked once. Pause. Once.
That means one message. One life? No, only one. See who it was.
Theo pressed the button. There was a long beep then a long pause in which there was nothing but hollow static. The machine beeped again. Nothing.
One message, Theo. One message, not there. One life, Theo, one life. Not there either. Your fault, your fault.
The phone rang. Theo stood there and looked at it. Can’t pick it up just yet, you’ll sound pathetic. Like you have no life. No life, Theo. You have life. Don’t pick it up just yet.
Rang again. Second ring. Third would be acceptable. Rang again. That was the third.
“Hello?” Theo paused. Looked around the room. “Hello?”
“CLICK! Hello, is Theo--He was so surprised, Theo. What on Earth did you do that for?--McFannan there?”
“No thank you, I do not wish to purchase flowers.” Theo placed the receiver back into the cradle. “Silly solicitors.”

The next day was just like any other. Theo came around the corner and again the sun nearly blinded her. She looked at the gas gauge. It was nearly full. She needed gas.
Turning into the gas station, Theo suddenly felt like she had de ja vu. What in the hell for?
She filled her tank up fifty cents worth and walked into the building to pay. The young guy with the black hair and pale skin and unusual eyes smiled at her from behind the counter. She began handing him a twenty to pay for the gas.
“You’re not very cautious when driving, Theo.” He said as he opened the cash register drawer. “I was very surprised.”
“What?” Theo said, squinting at him. What was with this guy?
“I said--” Theo met his gaze and an image jammed its way into her thoughts, like some foreign object into her eye. It was image of him fucking her, jammed into her like a damned shish kabob, blood on the walls and glass on the floor. “I said, here is your change.” The kid smiled at her again.
Theo took it and stuffed it into her pocket and headed out the door.
“See you--have a nice day--in awhile.” The kid said as she walked out the door. Yes, later, she thought, and got into her car.

That night as Theo began putting on her pajamas in her darkened bedroom, Richie was already there. Theo reached out to open the top drawer of her dresser, and his hand came around her head to her forehead and pulled her head backwards. His other arm wrapped around her chest and pulled her back against him, and she nearly cried out, remembering those horrible big snakes that crushed things to death.
“How’d that blood get on your windshield, Theo?” He hissed into her ear and pulled back on her hair. His other hand slid down to her crotch. He forced to fingers inside and Theo squealed, attempting to wriggle free. He smeared his fingers across her face. “How’d that blood get on your windshield, Theo? How’d it get there?” His lips fell against her throat and paused there for a brief moment before his teeth tore into the soft skin there.
Theo cried out in pain.
Theo cried out in pleasure.
Richie’s teeth tore through her skin like a coyote through rabbit. Blood gushed down her chest. Theo gasped and felt her knees weaken. Richie’s breathing was ragged in her ear.
“I was so surprised, Theo, and the sun wasn’t even that bright.” He bent her over the dresser and ground up against her, his hands seeking her neck. His fingers found the oozing bloody gash and dug into it, forcing it deeper.
Theo screamed a muffled, gurgling scream. He was inside her, inside her throat and inside her cunt all at the same time. His grip on her throat tightened and he rammed into her harder.
“You won’t EVER fucking need sunglasses again, Theo, oh no, you won’t.” He ferociously fucked her until he came in her bloody cunt. Richie tossed her body on the floor and walked out of the room. The next day, he went to his funeral with that healthy post-laid glow. He was the life of the party.


© Copyright 2002 Silent Envy (brokenchaos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/337698-Richies-Death-and-Repossession