*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/375281-Another-Day
by Rene
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Young Adult · #375281
Something about reality
Another Day

As the last day goes by, and I am left here, standing on the edge of my life, I can’t seem to look past the horizon. I can’t seem to look past things in my life. It was so beautiful. The colors were so bright. They shined through the sky, never once afraid of what they were. The bottom has rocks, spikes, torrent waters. They can’t be tamed. This is what scares me. This is what keeps me away from the edge. And so I am here about to leap, about to fall. And so I am here thinking of what to do. Thinking is my best attribute. I could go on and on, telling of what makes me think. Of how I am so good at thinking, I can go from one thought to another, never finishing one, but still having enough to make me feel full. I can entertain too. But that is off the subject. I am here. I am ready, but I can’t leave. It is bad down there. Oh how those memories were so rich and fulfilling. Why I even remember of being crowned for my excellence. There were those who claimed that I never once was crowned, but then they could not say anything as to why I lived in such a great manor, well protected with guards at the door, and with servants waiting on me hand and foot. This age is so dreary. That man out the window harvesting wheat is calling me. I do not like him. He looks strange. I can’t trust him. Just like I can’t trust the men who said I am not excellent. Funny how they are so colorful. I mustn’t fall into their trap. Now, I must go back to my task at hand. I am so responsible, so I must. I must go back. This edge is growing shorter by the hour. It can’t be possible. I must be creeping forward, but I don’t even recall moving my feet. I can’t believe the harvester is on a boat in that water. He will get himself killed. I can’t believe he is calling to me. I mustn’t try to cross the edge. My servant calls, I wonder if he has my food and vitamins. He tells me that I must take my vitamins four times a day to keep healthy. I think that is why I am so excellent. I keep taking them. Lately though, I haven’t trusted him though. He is talking to the hay man. He is conspiring with him. I can’t trust him. He will make sure he gets my money when I am powerless. How I wish he would take me out of my robe. It is so big it keeps me locked down. I don’t know why they came up with such a heavy robe. I was once ridiculed for having a colorful agenda. I am a proper man, not needing any of that rubbish. My family doesn’t accept that either. They say I am made to be a man of his word. A man to make things happen. Well, I have gone far without them. I have been deemed excellent. Those damn vitamins taste awful. I remember when they were grape flavored. That was last week. But now they are foul and different shapes. I must talk to the apothecary, he must surely know what is wrong with the pills. I must get back to the edge. That is what will make this all good. The edge is even closer. I wonder why the wheat man is still there. I thought I had rid of him when he got in my way the last time. I thought he was gone. Well, this will be that final chance to do so. This will be my way to get out of this elephant shaped mansion. If only I could tear from my fear of heights, the only thing I am afraid of, and just jump. If had the use of my arms, I could fly out of here. It is not that far from the next edge. I will do it. I will jump. This is not what I had in mind. This is not what was supposed to be. The colors are gone and I am left with green. I must have tripped before I fell, the bush saved me.
© Copyright 2002 Rene (pyrorene at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/375281-Another-Day