*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/388448-Under-A-Blood-Moon
by Luna
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #388448
A Vampire story...






Under A Blood Moon

"You are no longer safe with me. You must leave soon." he whispered from the shadows.
"For how long?" she asked.
"Forever." he looked down as though it pained him to say just that word.
"what? Why?" she cried, rushing forward. He held up his hand slowly to stop her.
"Don't."
"Why? Can't I look on you one more time? If I am to go away forever as you say, won't you hold me here and now?" she pleaded. He looked down at the floor sadly, brushing a lock of silver hair away from his face.
"No." he sighed.
"Why?"
"If I hold you or allow you to look on me as you ask, I fear I will endanger you more." he answered.
"What do you mean? I don't understand."
"I care for you a great deal, but if I hold you I will not be able to let you go. I have to though, because it is a matter of life and death. Yours." he stated.
She came towards him, her fiery hair glowing in the moonlight. "I am not afraid." she said, holding his hand in hers.
"Oh, but you should be." he said sadly.
"What for?"
"Because it is forbidden and written in our laws none should ever love a mortal."
"You love me?" she asked, blushing.
He looked at her finally, seeing the perfect beauty that was there. He saw her gentle mortal heart that was more worried about him than herself. He pulled her close and kissed the top of her head, breathing in the scent of jasmine in her hair.
"Yes. The Gods help me, but yes I do." he said softly.
*************

From the rooftop across the street, something watched them. The something became the figure of a woman outlined in the moonlight against the night sky.
"Damn you, Turiel! It is forbidden and you're going to get her killed!" she hissed. She wrapped her cloak around her and became one with the stars.

***********


"You're late Morgana." a voice said fromt he back of the library. She threw her cloak carelessly on a chair in the corner. Nervously, she ran her fingers through her silver hair.
"I know." she said. Morgana waited as he walked up with a stack of books and placed them on the desk.
"What are you hiding?" he asked, his timeless green eyes staring into her.
Morgana looked quickly away. "Nothing."
"You're lying."
"No, Raven..." she started to protest.
"Lying!" he yelled, slamming his fists on the desk. Morgana flinched as the desk collapsed in a heap of wood and books. She hated when he became this emotional. Raven could be terrifying in his rage, which was why she spent so much time trying to keep him happy.
"I am sorry. I didn't mean to be dishonest with you." she apologized.
Raven glared at her as he snapped his fingers. Several servants came running into the room, looking more than a little worried. "Clean up this mess." he ordered. The servants scurried about like nervous rats and he kicked one he felt wasn't moving fast enough. It happened to be a woman, which upset Morgana greatly.
"Raven!" she yelled and rushed over to the servant. She knelt down to help her up and realized what she thought was a woman, really was a frightened girl.
"I'm alright Ma'am." she said, standing up.
"What is your name?" Morgana asked.
"Marietta." she looked down at her hands.
"Well, Marietta I hope you learn to be faster. It is the only way to avoid getting hurt." Morgana said gently.
"Yes Ma'am." she said. Marietta curtsied and hurried off with the others. Morgana turned to face Raven.
"They are merely servants. You don't need to look at me that way." he said, looking amused.
"She was only a child! You could have killed her!"
Raven laughed coldly. "Ah, but I didn't did I? When are you going to learn that servants are just that? SERVANTS."
"They are humans, they're peoople like you and I!" she said indignantly.
"They are mortal! They're nothing like you and I! Rats they are and rats they'll always be!" he yelled.
"They still deserve to be treated with decency no matter what you think of them." she said, picking up her cloak.
"Don't you have anything to tell me?" he asked. Morgana threw her cloak around her shoulders, sighing.
"No." she lied, a plan formulating in her mind.
"I know you're protecting him, Morgana. You should think about your actions and your future. I wouldn't throw it all away on Turiel." Raven said patiently.
"You forget, Raven who you are talking to. He is my brother." she said over her shoulder. She left closing the door behind her silently.
"Yes, but your brother's secret will soon be mine." he whispered dangerously.


***********To be continued....******


The story continues.....


Turiel sat alone in his study, staring into space. The wine next to him sat untouched. "Go ahead and take it away, Henry." he said. His servant came over and picked up the wine, shaking his head.
"If you don't mind my saying so sir, you really shouldn't ask for it. You never drink it." Henry said in admonishing tone.
"You're right of course, but I like the color." Turiel said with a small smile. He watched as Henry also cleared away the tray of uneaten food. Henry had been a good servant to him for many years, but more importantly he had been a wonderful friend. His dark hair was beginning to show strands of gray.
"How long have you been with me, Henry?" he wondered.
"Oh, thirty years. Since I was twenty when we met in Ireland."
"Has it been such a short time?"
"It seems like forever to me, but I suppose it's different for you." Henry said.
"Thank you, Henry. That will be all."
"Whatever it is, I hope you find a solution Master Turiel."
That was one thing he liked about Henry. He was extremely perceptive, but he would never pry into what he felt wasn't his business.
"So do I Henry. So do I." he said. He continued to worry as his servant left the room. He felt that worrying was all he could do and he couldn't find a way out.

*****************

She paced back and forth nervously. "Where is he?" she wondered aloud.
"Alexandra."
"Turiel!" she cried, running into his arms. He held her gently, caressing her hair. How could he send her away? Other than Henry she was the only mortal who was not afraid of him. She loved him and expected nothing in return, except that he love her too.
"I didn't mean to make you worry. Have you been waiting long?"
"No, I just thought you might not come. Have you fed?" she asked, kissing his cheek.
"Yes."
"You know you can take from me." she whispered.
He let go of her and sat down on a chair. "No. I will not." he said firmly.
"It doesn't matter to me." she reassured him.
"But it matters to me. I love you Alexandra and I will not feed on you. To me, you are important. The strangers are not, so there is no reason for me to feel guilty. Besides, I don't want to hurt you."
"I understand." she sighed. He studied her, admiring her beauty. Her red hair fell in soft curls past her shoulders and her blue eyes twinkled like stars. It was hard to believe he had only known her for three months. He felt as if he'd known her forever.
"I think you should leave." he said.
"I want to stay with you. Turiel, you saved my life that night. Those men would have killed me, but you were there." she said, kneeling down in front of him.
"I remember. However, it's still not safe for you here."
"I told you I'm not afraid."
"Alexandra, if you don't leave in three days I may not be able to protect you." he warned.
"Won't you always keep me safe?" she asked. She leaned her head on his knee and he closed his eyes to hide the fear that was in them. Why was he being so weak? Letting her stay could mean her death. He knew this, but he couldn't bear the thought of her being away from him. Would she really be safe if she left? It was true he had protected her all this time.

***************

Turiel had been hunting when he saw the girl walking alone. He had noticed three men following her and knew what they intended. They had grabbed her and that was when he had savagely killed them.
"Go!" he had yelled at her, not wanting to feed in front of this girl. She surprised him by not leaving.
"I know what you are." she had said.
"Aren't you afraid?" he'd wondered.
"No." she had said and it had been the truth.

Now three months later, Turiel knew she wouldn't be safe here in the city. He wanted her safe away from vampires like Raven. He knew Raven would kill her. He knew along with everyone else in The Society about Raven's utter distasted for mortals.
Alexandra looked at him with innocent eyes. She knew he was a killer, but she didn't care. She loved him as a person and genuinely enjoyed his company. She always made Turiel feel relaxed. He never wanted anything to happen to her. If Raven knew about her, he would use it against him.
"Alexandra, I will always protect you. I'm trying to protect you now. In three days there will be a blood moon. You need to leave before that time."
"Where would you have me go?" she demanded indignantly. Turiel made a decision right there when he gazed at her.
"You can come with me." he answered. Alexandra threw her arms around his neck, kissing him passionately. Turiel kissed her back, his heart overwhelmed with love for her. He worried in the back of his mind that he would get her killed.

****************

To be continued......



Morgana entered the great hall of The Society; feeling nervous. She didn't want to reveal the girl's name, but her vows said that she must. At least she didn't have to report to Raven anymore. The First Elder had met with her after she mentioned to his novice the abuse of the servant Marietta. Demitri had decided then it would be a better idea for Morgana to report to him. Apparently, Raven was being watched too.
Morgana entered Demitri's study shrugging off her cloak. She waited patiently until a servant came into the room. "First Elder will see you now." he said. Morgana followed him into a small library.
"Morgana." a voice said softly. She looked up at the man before her. Demitri was First Elder for a reason. His very manner commanded an air of respect and authority. His green eyes looked thoughtful.
"Demitri." Morgana responded back. He was the oldest of them, yet the only place his eight hundred years showed was in his eyes.
"Report on the situation." he commanded. He motioned for her to sit. She brushed her silver hair out of her eyes and sighed.
"Yes, of course. It was what you expected. She is mortal."
"Her name?" Demitri raised his eyebrows at her.
"Alexandra." she breathed, knowing she couldn't lie to him. She was more afraid of Demitri than Raven. There were rumors among them about Demitri's wrath. He was a fair person, but if you betrayed him in any way he could be ruthless.
"I see. So it's true. Turiel has loved a mortal." he said thoughtfully.
"Yes."
"Morgana, I know you love your brother yes?"
"Yes, I do."
"He protected you when you were novice, because of that." he pointed at the streak of black in her silver hair.
Morgana closed her eyes sadly. "Yes, because Raven and his followers considered me flawed. If I were a pure immortal my hair would not have color."
"Turiel has always been protector to the weak and different. That is why I will see what I can do to help him."
"What?" Morgana looked up in surprise.
Demitri laughed softly. "Yes, I will help him."
"May I ask why?" she said.
"Because once Turiel helped me. Raven is a little too ambitious. He tried to have me killed. Turiel was there and put a stop to it."
"I see."
"You must watch yourself around Raven. He is not to be trusted. The Society is watching him closely and his end may be near." Demitri explained.
"I understand." she said. Morgana got up to leave when Raven came bursting in.
"This is an outrage!" he screamed.
"Raven, to what do I owe this displeasure?" Demitri asked dryly.
"You gave Marietta away? She is one of my best servants!" he yelled.
Demitri stood up slowly. "I am well aware of this, which is why she will be perfect for Morgana's services." he said calmly. Raven looked at Morgana and it chilled her blood.
"Morgana? Oh, I see. How convenient that Marietta is going with her." he said with a sneer.
"You really should be pleased, Raven. Marietta won't be such a bother to you anymore. Now we can supply you with a faster re-place-ment." Demitri said the last word slowly, his eyes never leaving Raven's face.
"Who do you think you are? You can't just go around giving my servants away!" Raven yelled angrily. Morgana only saw the movement out of the corner of her eye, but it frightened her.
Demitri was a blur that suddenly appeared in front of Raven. His pale hand shot out around Raven's throat. Morgana gasped in shock as Raven was lifted more than a few feet off the ground.
"You forget yourself, underling! I am First Elder and I can give your servants away! I know how you abuse them, especially Marietta! How pathetic you are, if you take pleasure in hurting a mortal child! Do not challenge me. You will not like the outcome!" Demitri hissed, his green eyes blazing.
Raven struggled, his face showing actual fear. Demitri threw him down on the floor disdainfully. Morgana looked up and saw Marietta.
"Should I go?" she asked in a tremulous voice.
"Come here, child. You don't need to fear me." Demitri said gently. Marietta came over to him and he brushed her hair lightly.
"Hello, Miss." Marietta smiled shyly at Morgana.
"I see you are well." Morgana said, noticing how pretty the girl actually was. Her hair was darker than midnight and her eyes were a brilliant lavender. No wonder Raven had her as a servant. He had always loved pretty things, she thought.
"Morgana has decided you will be her servant. Would you like that?" Demitri asked.
"Oh yes, very much!" Marietta cried out.
"How old are you?" Demitri said.
"Eleven, Master Demitri."
"When she is twelve, Morgana you may train her and prepare her." Demitri said.
"Yes, I understand." Morgana said, taking Marietta's hand in hers. Morgana started to leave.
"Oh, one more thing." Demitri said.
"Yes?" Morgana looked at him.
"Send Turiel to me and have someone clean this up." he said, pointing at the unconscious Raven on the floor.
Morgana smiled dryly. "I will."


**************

To be continued.......




Under A Blood Moon continued...



Turiel showed Alexandra around his home. Her eyes sparkled with delight at the paintings and trinkets he head. He felt a sense of peace watching her look at everything and clapping her hands gleefully like a small child. Her aura of innocence was what drew him to her and her pure heart was what made him love her.
"Where shall I put these bags Master Turiel?" Henry said as he came into the hall.
"Ah, Henry there you are. If you would take them to my room, that will be perfect." Turiel said warmly. Alexandra looked at the tall man before her. His dark brown hair was streaked through with strands of gray, but that was the only place his age showed. His brown eyes showed extreme kindness against his fair skin. He was dressed in a dark suit with a gray silk cravat and the only adornment he wore was a silver celtic knot ring on his left hand.
"Are you Turiel's father?" Alexandra asked. Turiel and Henry exchanged glances and laughed. Alexandra looked confused.
"I'm sorry. Forgive me. No, I am not Master Turiel's father." Henry said, still smiling.
"Henry is my servant and my dear friend. Henry, this is Alexandra, the young lady I told you about." Turiel explained, holding her hand.
"Ah, yes. It is very nice to meet you Miss." Henry bowed slightly.
"Are you Irish?" Alexandra asked, hearing the slight accent.
"Why yes, I am. Ireland is where Master Turiel and I met." Henry answered.
"I'm glad Turiel has such a nice person as his friend." Alexandra said with a grin.
"I see what you mean about the girlish charm." Henry said to Turiel teasingly. Turiel actually blushed.
"Yes, well it's why I love her." he said. Henry gathered up Alexandra's bags and left the room.
"Alexandra, would you excuse me for a moment?" Turiel asked.
"Of course." she said, kissing his cheek. Turiel went up to his room where Henry was.
"Henry, you understand what is going on don't you?" Turiel said solemnly.
"Yes, Master Turiel."
"This may cost you your life, Henry. You have the right to leave if you wish."
Henry walked over to him and clasped his hand. He squeezed it reassuringly. "Master Turiel, I will not leave. When Raven killed my wife, you were there. At my hour of darkest despair, you were my only friend. It is time for me to repay my debt and if it means I might die, so be it."
"Henry, I mean that much to you?" Turiel asked in surprise.
"Of course. Immortals live a lonely life, Master Turiel. I saw how Alexandra looked at you. She knows what you are, but she does not care. All she sees is the person she loves. Everyone deserves happiness for a time." Henry said softly.
"We must protect her with our lives." Turiel said gravely.
"Yes, we must." Henry agreed.

**************

Morgana took Marietta to her room. "This is where you'll sleep." she told the girl. Marietta gazed at the room in awe. Morgana took a moment to study the girl. Her black hair fell to her waist tinged with highlights of blue. Her lavender eyes were fringed with dark lashes and her lips were full and pouting, cherub's lips. Her olive skin made her look more exotic along with her slender body. The drab brown dress she wore only accentuated her beatuy.
"All this is mine? It's so grand." Marietta sighed in disbelief.
"Yes. I'll let you get cleaned up before supper." Morgana said.
"Miss Morgana?"
"Yes?"
"What did Master Demitri mean about training me?"
Morgana watched the child's eyes and saw fear. "If you wish to, you will be able to join The Society and become one of us." Morgana explained.
"I'm not an immortal though." Marietta stammered.
"There is much you don't understand. The way we become immortal involves many choices. We will talk after you eat." Morgana told her.
"You won't be dining with me?"
"I don't eat anyway, but the next time I will keep you company. I have some business to attend to." she apologized.
"I see. Very well. Travel safely Miss." Marietta curtsied. Morgana patted her head gently and left silently.

***************

To be continued.....


Turiel looked over at Alexandra who was sleeping peacefully nestled in the crook of his arm. "So beautiful." he whispered. He eased himself slowly out of bed so he wouldn't wake her. As he was throwing on his robe, he sensed the other immortal and it terrified him. He raced downstairs into his study where the presence was strongest.
"Show yourself!" he commanded.
"A little highstrung are we, brother?" Morgana said, turning the chair in the corner to face him.
"Morgana! What are you doing here?" he asked, feeling greatly relieved. She stood and gave her brother a hug. She sensed the fear in him and it worried her.
"I came to see you. Have you fed?"
"Yes, a while ago. How are you?" he said, sitting down.
"Well, I have a new servant."
"Who is it?"
"Marietta, Raven's former servant."
"Really? How wonderful for her!" Turiel said warmly.
"You know her?" Morgana asked, surprised.
"Oh yes. I saw her a few times at Raven's mercy. I'm glad Demitri rescued her from him."
"Demitri wants me to train and prepare her when she turns twelve."
"Another immortal? Well, I see. What else does Demitri want?" Turiel said slyly. Morgana flinched. That was one thing about Turiel she could never get over. His perceptiveness and ability to read her thoughts often caught her off guard.
"Well, he wanted me to get you." she answered.
"He wants me to come see him doesn't he?" Turiel said thoughtfully.
"He is First Elder, Turiel. He says he wants to help you."
"How can he possibly help me? If Raven has his way, I'll be stripped of my power in three days."
"I know and Demitri knows." Morgana told him. Turiel looked thunderstruck.
"What do you know?"
"Turiel, at first I was reporting to Raven. I told him as little as I could. Demitri found out though and arranged a meeting with me. I can't lie to First Elder."
"They had you following me?" he closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.
"Yes, but I covered your trail so no one would find you. Meet with Demitri, Turiel."
"What is going on then? If you've been following me, then prove it."
"Her name is Alexandra and she's a mortal." Morgana said sadly.
"My god!" he breathed.
"If Raven gets a hold of her on the night of the blood moon, he will kill her. He'll offer her as blood sacrifice to Dakana."
"Morgana, I know. It's what I'm trying to protect her from. I tried to send her away!" Turiel cried.
"She's here isn't she?" Morgana looked horrified. Turiel looked down at his hands.
"Yes. She loves me. She believes I'll be able to protect her."
"Oh, Turiel. Please, go see Demitri. He'll help you." Morgana patted his hand gently. Turiel looked into his sister's eyes and saw how concerned she was.
"Alright. I'll go." he sighed.


*********************


Raven paced back and forth across his bedroom. He was furious with Demitri for everything. He knew he couldn't thwart him openly. He had already tried to get rid of Demitri once, but Turiel had shown up. Everyone in The Society knew it was him, but they couldn't prove it because he had chosen an assassin. When the assassin had failed, Raven had fed on him in a fit of rage.
"What worries you?" a voice said behind him. Raven turned to look at the woman before him.
"Demitri. Turiel of course. In order to have power, I have to sacrifice the blood of a pure mortal, one who is kind of heart."
"You can't find her can you, Raven?" she said archly.
"Don't mock me, Iris! If I don't do this sacrifice to Dakana, my power will not be absolute! I only have two days left! Two days!" he yelled.
"Is that all? I can find her." Iris told him. Raven traced a finger down the side of her cheek.
"Really my dear?" he asked.
"Yes, of course." she said with an evil smile. Raven laughed and dismissed her with a wave of his hand. He gazed out the window at the orange tinged moon.
"Soon, very soon" he whispered to himself.

**********************


"Ah, Turiel. Enter." Demitri gave him a warm smile. Turiel walked into the room, trying to stay calm.
"I understand you already know what's going on." Turiel said.
"Yes. I'm not going to punish you, if that's what you're thinking. I want to help you."
"How can you possibly help me? Raven has gotten away with trying to kill you, trying to torture my sister, and many other things!"
"Turiel, I know you're angry. However, I have a way I can help you. Are you willing to listen?" Demitri asked with a thoughtful look on his face.
"Very well." Turiel answered. He sat and listened to Demitri's solution.


*************************

To be continued......


Morgana checked on Marietta and found her sleeping. Morgana put a warmer blanket on her and started to leave when she heard Marietta cry out. Morgana ran to her side, shaking her gently awake. "What is it?" she asked.
"I saw a vision, Miss." she whimpered. Morgana flinched when she heard her response.
"Do you have these visions often?"
"Yes, Miss Morgana."
"Tell me, what did you see?" she asked softly.
"I saw a woman watching a house. She was looking for a girl called Alexandra. Then I saw a bloody ritual taking place." Marietta said in a shaky voice.
"No!" Morgana's eyes widened in fear and she ran out of her house, hastily grabbing her cloak.

*****************


Turiel walked up to Demitri as he came out into the study. "Is it done?" Turiel asked.
"She will be weak for a little while, but yes. I have used a disguise spell so no one will know for now." Demitri explained. Turiel closed his eyes looking away.
"Turiel, you knew there was nothing else to be done."
"I know. May I see her?" Turiel said. Demitri nodded in approval.
"Not too long."
Turiel entered the room and saw Alexandra on the bed, sound asleep. He knelt down beside her and held her hand. She opened her eyes for a moment and smiled weakly at him.
"Turiel?" she asked.
"Yes, I'm here. Rest." He kissed her cheek and left quietly. Henry stood in the hall waiting for him.
"I'll sit with her." Henry told him.
"Thank you, my friend."

*********************


Morgana arrived at Turiel's house in a panic. "Please don't let me be too late!" she said, entering the house. She was surprised to see Demitri there in the study.
"Morgana? What is it? What's wrong?" Turiel asked, standing up.
"Turiel, Demitri, someone's here!" she yelled.
"What?" Demitri stood up. Suddenly, they heard screams from upstairs.
"Alexandra!" Turiel cried and they all ran from the room.

***************


Henry sat with Alexandra quietly reading. He had come to think of her as a daughter in the past few days. He hoped she would be safe now that Demitri had come by. Henry looked out the window and gasped when he saw the immortal woman there.
"Henry, is something wrong?" Alexandra asked, waking up.
"Don't move, Miss." he whispered. He grabbed the shotgun by his chair and stood up. He looked out the window, but she wasn't there. Henry turned and saw her behind him.
"You can't hurt me with that." Iris hissed.
"I know, but I can slow you down." he said, aiming at her chest.
"I only want the girl." she said, stepping next to Alexandra's bed. The moonlight hit her face and Henry cried out in shock.
"Maggie?" he cried.
"Who?" she asked, stopping.
"Maggie! How can this be? I saw you die. I watched that bastard kill you with my own eyes!"
"My name is Iris. I am immortal and Raven is my sire." she said.
"Your name is Maggie, not Iris! Maggie, don't you remember? You were my wife! Can you not remember your own husband?" Henry said.
"I don't know what you're talking about." she said hesitantly. Henry knew it was her. What has he done to her? he thought angrily.
He grabbed her arm yelling, "Maggie, it's me! It's Henry! How could you forget your husband?!"
"Henry?" she asked, recognizing him.
"Maggie, oh my dear." he said, holding her.
"Henry, am I dead?" she asked.
"You're immortal love. You died in front of me and now here you are." he said holding her tighter.
"Henry!" she screamed as he was torn away from her. She cried out in agony as she saw Raven twist his neck.
"How sweet. I knew I should have erased your memory completely." Raven said. He dropped Henry's body to the floor. Henry let out a groan.
"Henry!" Maggie cried.
"You're still alive?" Raven said increduously.
"How could you?" Maggie screamed.
"Oh, Iris you didn't even know who he was at first." Raven said.
"My name is Maggie!" she yelled.
"It was until I took you from him. I made you mine!" Raven shouted.
"I was never yours! I was and always will be Henry's!" she sobbed, running over to Henry.
"Maggie." Henry croaked. She held his hand, kissing it tenderly.
"No. He didn't break your neck completely. Henry, I love you." she said, tears streaming down her cheeks.
"Love...you..." he managed.
"Can't have any loose ends." Raven said and ripped Maggie's heart from her chest. She fell over, her eyes open in stunned surprise. Henry closed his eyes, apologizing silently to Turiel for failing him.
"You'll die soon. Tah." Raven said disdainfully. He picked up Alexandra who was still very weak and started to leave, when Turiel came in.
"Raven, you fiend!" he roared.
"You're too late. I win." Raven chuckled and disappeared.

*********************


Turiel knelt beside Henry. "Master Turiel, I..am...sorry."
"No, old friend. I am sorry. You have been nothing but loyal to me." Turiel said.
"Who is this immortal? She's not with The Society." Morgana said.
"Maggie. He...kill..ed...her." Henry gasped out.
"Henry, what are you saying?" Turiel questioned.
"It's...Maggie. My...wife."
"My god!" Demitri said, stunned.
"He turned her. Called her...Iris, but I finally got her....to remember. Got to hear her say...she loved me...one more time. Then he killed...her again."
"Oh Henry." Turiel said, closing his eyes sadly.
"That bastard! He will pay!" Demitri seethed.
"Save...Alexandra...Turiel...and be...brave." Henry whispered and faded away.
"Henry." Turiel held his friend close, weeping.

*********************


Alexandra awoke in a strange room. A statue looked down at her with a hungry smile. "Ah, you have seen Dakana. Beautiful isn't she?" Raven asked, throwing on a red robe. Alexandra looked up at the statue and felt a sense of unease.
It was a woman with a crown of barbed wire around her head and her breasts bare, blood running down from them. A blood red skirt hung lewdly on her hips and her hands were held palms up with blood trickling at the wrists. Alexandra looked in fear at her captor.
"Don't worry. Dakana is a mother. The mother of immortals, but still a mother." Raven explained.
Alexandra realized she was tied down to an altar. "Please, let me go." she begged. Raven threw open the curtains near a window to reveal a full moon the color of blood.
"Ah, but I can't do that. A blood moon has finally come. You are the perfect sacrifice for Dakana." Alexandra closed her eyes, terrified, then let out a howl of suffering and pain.


****************************


Turiel placed roses on Henry and Maggie's graves. He waited as Morgana and Demitri walked up to him. "Have you found him?" Turiel asked.
"Yes. Marietta had another vision. He's in The Society's cathedral." Morgana said.
"Where is Marietta? She won't be safe alone." he said.
"I have placed her with a guard. She'll be fine." Demitri answered.
"Well, let's go so I can kill him for everything." Turiel said coldly.

*********************


Raven was at the height of the ritual. He was thoroughly enjoying the girl's screams of torment. "RAVEN!!!!!" Turiel's shout of rage echoed all around.
"You're too late! All of you mean nothing to me now!" he cackled. Turiel ran over to Alexandra, horrified. The swords were stuck into her body and the blood cascaded from her into a huge golden basin.
"How could you do this?" Morgana said in shock.
"Because I should be First Elder, not Demitri! I should have the power and Dakana will give it to me!" Raven shrieked, his eyes glowing red with hate.
"You ignorant fool! The blood moon rites haven't been done for four hundred years!" Demitri yelled, pulling out a jewelled silver sword.
"What are you going to do? Kill me? You can't First Elder. I've done nothing wrong." Raven said haughtily.
"Bastard!" Turiel screamed, chopping off Raven's right hand with his own sword.
Raven howled in pain, then began to laugh maniacally. "I can't be hurt fools! I have the blood of a pure mortal for Dakana!" Raven watched his wrist and cried out in disbelief when the hand did not grow back.
"Dakana has punished you, Raven." Morgana said quietly. Raven backed away when he saw all the Elders and members of The Society glaring at him.
"How long have you been there?" Raven asked, willing his hand to grow back.
"Long enough to see your destructive ways." Lyssa the Second Elder said. She nodded at Demitri.
"Raven, you have committed these crimes. Murder of an innocent mortal, murder of an immortal, and now a second attempt to murder another immortal." Demitri said, glaring.
"I don't know what you mean. Turiel broke the sacred rule of loving a mortal!" Raven yelled.
"She is no longer a mortal." Demitri pointed. Raven turned, his pulse racing.
Turiel had laid Alexandra down on the floor, and was holding her close, whispering her name. Raven screamed a cry of outrage as he saw her cuts, her deep wounds, beginning to heal.
"How can this be?" he said, walking towards her. Turiel aimed his sword at Raven's heart.
"Come any closer and I will cut you strip by strip." he hissed.
"How is she still alive?" Raven turned on Demitri.
"I told you. She has become immortal like us. I knew this was the only way to save her from your ambitions." Demitri said.
"Demitri used a disguising spell so you wouldn't know, but you're persistent." Morgana said. She waved her hands and then Raven saw the silver aura of an immortal coming from Alexandra. He also saw her hair. The fiery red was no longer there. It was the pale silver that all immortals had.
"No!" Raven breathed.
"Yes. For all your crimes it means death." Demitri said coldly.
"You can't do this!" he shrieked at everyone as Turiel's sword drove through his heart and Demitri's sword severed his head from his body.
"Yes, we can." Turiel whispered.
"Turiel?" Alexandra called. Turiel threw his sword down, running over to her.
"I'm here. It's over." he said, holding her close.
"Turiel, she's lost a lot of blood." Morgana said. Turiel closed his eyes, indicating that he knew.
"Don't worry. I will help her." Demitri said, rolling up his sleeve.
"Alexandra, drink. This is the only way." Turiel told her.
"Will I be with you forever?" she asked, her eyes a mixture of emotions.
"Yes, and you will be safe." he reassured her. Alexandra looked at Demitri, then nodded. Demitri placed his wrist against her mouth, allowing her to drink. After a few minutes he pulled away and they watched as color flooded her cheeks. She sat up, throwing her arms around Turiel. He held her, crying tears of joy and relief that his love was safe.

********************


Turiel watched Alexandra placing lilies on Henry's grave. She had been upset when she learned of his death. Morgana would be moving her things in soon. The house had felt so empty, so he asked his sister and Marietta to come and stay. Alexandra had loved the idea. Alexandra walked up to him, smiling sweetly. He took her hand in his and they walked towards the house.
"Someone's here." Alexandra said. Turiel looked up and saw Demitri.
"Demitri?" Turiel asked.
"Turiel, I have a question. Would you consider becoming First Elder after me?"
"What? Why are you asking me?" Turiel asked, stunned.
"I'm eight hundred years old, Turiel. I'm tired and I want a chance to rest, but someone has to take my place."
"I respectfully decline."
"May I ask why?"
"Morgana has earned the right more than anyone." he said, smiling at his sister who had just appeared.
"Well, Morgana?" Demitri asked, turning to face her. Morgana looked shocked.
"I don't know what to say." she stammered.
"Say yes." Demitri pleaded.
"You've earned it." Turiel told her.
"Well, yes." Morgana said, smiling. Demitri looked very happy as he hugged her.
"Thank you." he said. He vanished before them and Turiel shook his head in amusement.
"He hasn't changed." he said.
"Well I better get ready to meet the council." Morgana said, grinning.
"Congratulations." Alexandra told her. Morgana disappeared too, leaving Turiel and Alexandra alone.
"Well, what now?" Turiel asked her.
"Let's just enjoy forever." she said, wrapping her arms around him. He pulled her close, kissing her as the silver moon showered her comforting light on them.


*************

Finis








© Copyright 2002 Luna (luna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/388448-Under-A-Blood-Moon