*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/404836-Enter-Anthony-Chapter-3
by Tenea
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #404836
Anthony, a classmate of Jamie's, meets up with her.
((Continued from "On her own (Chapter 2)))

Three years later

A knock on his door woke him. "Milord Anthony, you're needed downstairs," a servant called from outside his room.

Reluctantly Anthony opened his eyes. "Yes, I'll be there soon," he replied.

He wondered how Biaren was. The younger of his two stepsons had been sick for quite some time. No one could figure out the cause, and House Ilotan could afford the best healers in the land. That was something to cause even the least involved parent a great deal of concern. Anthony and Belila's first husband's brother, Calioner, had both combed the land for the best healers. Neither of them had come up with one who could heal Biaren. Calioner was at an absolute loss, but there was something always at the back of Anthony's mind. The answer he feared wasn't right.

Three years earlier, Anthony's wife Belila had died of a mysterious disease. Belila was the mother of Biaren and his older brother Aeric. He smiled, fondly remembering Belila. He had not loved her when he had married her, and he was not quite sure he ever had. But she had been a lively and energetic woman, and he could say with utmost certainty that he had liked the woman; been very fond of her. It had pained Anthony's heart to see her wither away while the healers could do nothing. He was determined not to let Biaren succumb to the same disease.

The healers were vehement in their estimates of the two diseases. There were stark enough contrasts that Biaren couldn't be afflicted by the same thing. But Anthony knew more in some areas than they did. He knew that Belila had been a victim of cancer. They didn't know about cancer here. It was an enigma to the best healers of the land. The differences gave Anthony hope that his younger stepson didn't have cancer. But it was his greatest fear that Biaren was incurable. If Biaren was incurable, and Belila had died, then Aeric would be the only one left. Poor Aeric, who saw his father die when he was young, only to see his mother die not long after. The boy clung to Anthony with almost alarming tenacity. Can't blame him, Anthony thought. He's lost both his parents, he needs someone to keep constant. Someone that will be there for him. And since I married Belila before she died, I'm it.

Anthony began to dress for the journey ahead of them. On a recent military campaign, some of the soldiers from House Ilotan had stumbled upon a healer, virtually unknown outside the sleepy little village of River Towne. All the residents praised her skill, and the remarkable accuracy she had in diagnosing. Healer Jamie, who had appeared out of nowhere five years ago. The young girl had been looking to find her home when she came to the old healer's hut. After some time, they formally announced her apprenticeship.

That news, less than a week ago, had driven Anthony to organize this expedition. It was the fastest he could go to Healer Jamie. If he was right, he knew her. Jamie Reynolds had always wanted to be a doctor. It was fitting that she should wind up a healer in this strange land.

What if you're alone? that annoying, nagging voice in the back of his head asked. You're probably making a mountain out of a molehill. You want so badly to find someone else from your class - especially your old friend Jamie - that you're stretching the truth to fit.

For what seemed like the thousandth time, Anthony combed his mind for the proper comeback. But all he could come up with was, Look at the names in this land. Belila, Biaren, Calioner. Does Jamie sound anything like those?

People are weird,
he answered himself. You can't be sure that she's not from here. Besides, look at some of the names in my world.

Like what?
he challenged the rebellious part of his mind.

He finally shrugged it off. That's secondary. What's most important is finding out whether or not she can help Biaren. If she's Jamie Reynolds, I will be the happiest man on Ear- Tarrae. He sighed. It was breakfast time. He had wasted too long thinking about this. He wanted to have Biaren better. Speed was everything.

Finally he walked downstairs. The servants gave the customary honors accorded the acting head of House Ilotan. No sooner had he reached the dining area than a blur attached itself to his leg.

"Papa Anthony!"

Biaren grinned wildly at the sight of his stepfather. Anthony's day brightened instantly, as it always did when he saw Biaren and Aeric. The elder of the two rose from the table, more dignified at 13 but still beaming from ear to ear.
"Good morning boys," Anthony said cheerfully. "Have you packed?"

"Yes, Anthony," Aeric replied. That was a compromise they had reached early on. Aeric understandably didn't want to call him Father, and he refused to use Papa Anthony. It was too childish, he said. So since Anthony tended to be more of a brother than father to Aeric, he'd given permission for Aeric to call him just Anthony.

"I wish you'd take soldiers," Calioner said without preamble. Anthony sighed. He'd known that this was going to come up. Calioner didn't trust them not to run into trouble. A paranoid man, Calioner.

"I do not wish to attract attention," Anthony replied. "If we take an escort, we will draw attention to ourselves."

Calioner sighed. "Then leave Aeric here. The heir to House Ilotan cannot place himself at risk."

Aeric faced his uncle. "Uncle Calioner, I wish to see my brother well. And I do know how to defend myself. Anthony is trained in self-defense, and together we can fend off any bandits." Calioner might try to argue Anthony down, but he couldn't say no to Aeric.

Calioner threw his hands up into the air and walked out of the room, muttering under his breath. Anthony traded a smile with Aeric and sat down to eat.

~~~~

Breakfast was brief, as all three were eager to be gone. Biaren choked a couple times, and had to be pounded on the back by Anthony. The boy was sick, but he still had the energy of every 7 year old that ever existed.

Their horses were already saddled and their bags packed when they walked into the stables. Anthony nodded to the grooms who had taken care of the horses for them. Having servants to take care of everything was still a little uncomfortable. A luxury, yes, but a little uncomfortable. Everyone bowed to him. Anthony had been a modest person before his abrupt change of surroundings, and he still was now. But he was gradually adjusting to being treated like this.

Anthony swung up onto the horse. He'd gone riding a few times for fun back home, but he'd learned more in his first week about horses than he'd ever expected to. His stallion Chestnut, named for his color, was fierce to strangers but tame to Anthony. It had taken a while for Chestnut to recognize Anthony as friendly. He winced as his privates hit the saddle. That was something he doubted he'd ever get used to.

Anthony kicked his horse into a canter, seeing that Aeric and Biaren did the same. Biaren wore a big goofy grin on his face, like he was starting on some sort of adventure. Anthony wished he'd never lost the childish innocence that Biaren was showing at the moment.

They rode through the morning, stopping for lunch and to sleep. The trip would take them between one and two days to complete, and Anthony did not want to risk riding through the night. The woods were dangerous, and he planned to stay up the entire night and keep watch. He'd gone without sleep before when papers were due. He smiled to himself, remembering high school. It seemed so distant, when it was only five years removed. He wondered if he'd have feel the same distance if he stayed in his world and followed his plans to become a teacher. He sighed. Those days were gone now, probably forever. No matter how much he tried to convince himself that there was a way home, the more practical part of himself told him that he was stuck here. He looked over at Aeric and Biaren, unsaddling their horses. It wouldn't be so bad staying here. He loved the boys like they were his own, though Aeric was far too old to be his son. Biaren he loved like a son, but somehow Aeric was like a treasured younger brother. He wouldn't give them up.

Aeric had started a fire, and Biaren was bringing out the food they'd packed. "Hold, Biaren," Anthony said with a smile. "Aeric, watch your brother, and get that fire going. I think fresh meat would taste better."

Aeric and Biaren nodded excitedly. Anthony retrieved his bow from his pack and stalked into the forest. Within minutes he'd returned with a pair of rabbit-like creatures he couldn't put a name to. Aeric grinned as he took the creatures from Anthony and started roasting them over the fire. "Good kill, Anthony," he commented as the fat in the creatures popped over the heat.

"I try," Anthony said, laughing. "Oh, only the best for you boys." It was nothing less than the truth.

Biaren went to sleep almost immediately after dinner was finished. His energy tended to spend itself in sharp bursts. Anthony gently covered the boy with a blanket, then turned to Aeric. "You can sleep now, if you'd like. I'll keep guard the entire night." It wouldn't be the first time he'd gone without sleep. Memories of his high school days filtered back to him, of writing term papers and cramming for finals. It was only five years ago, but it felt like another lifetime. In some ways, Anthony reflected, it was.

"I'm not sleepy," Aeric insisted.

Anthony smiled. "Then you may keep watch with me." Aeric's face brightened, though Anthony still saw fatigue under his eyes. Give him ten minutes and he'll be out, Anthony thought.

It was more like twenty, but Aeric did fall asleep in little time. At thirteen, he hadn't learned the joys of all nighters yet. Soon enough.

~~~~

Three years. Three years on her own, acting as full Healer for River Towne with less than a quarter of Raina's experience.

And no one said anything negative about Jamie.

Sure, there had been laments when Raina died. She had been well known, and in some circles, beloved. But that didn't seem to matter to the villagers. Raina had chosen her as her apprentice. They trusted Raina's judgement enough to accept Jamie.

She had always wanted to be a doctor, but she had never envisioned it like this. Luckily, in the three years she'd been on her own, there had been very few major emergencies that required her to go beyond knowing which herbs to prescribe.

Jamie had treated just about everyone in River Towne for something or the other. Colds, scrapes, cuts, even a broken leg. Those had been the most challenging, but she had had a broken leg when she was a child, and knew enough of what to do that Gila Jovvar was able to walk again, though it took almost a year.

The people of River Towne were healthy, thanks to Jamie.

Her reverie was interrupted by a knock on the door. Brushing her robes (she still wore them, even now that Raina was dead), she walked over and opened the door.

A small boy stood there. Jamie smiled as she recognized him. He had a bashful smile on his face, and he kept looking around nervously, as if searching for someone.

"Can I help you, Kutan?" Jamie asked gently. Kutan came from a very large family. She treated them often for various cuts and bruises that came from horsing around or exploring the woods.

"C'n I come in?" Kutan asked, his hands behind his back as he twisted in place uneasily. His curly brown hair fell over his face and got in the way of his eyes.

Jamie had a sneaking suspicion about Kutan's reasons for coming, but she didn't voice them. She merely smiled beatifically at Kutan. "Sure you can. I was just making some breakfast. Would you like some too?"

Kutan nodded as he came inside. Jamie snuck a quick peek outside her door before she closed it. Someone was hiding behind a bush nearby, and she thought she knew who.

As soon as the door closed, Kutan took his hands out from behind his back. In one hand he held a bunch of flowers. "My brother sez to give these to you," he said, still keeping his glance locked on the ground. "He sez it's cause you need to make people feel better, and flowers always make people happy." His feet shifted. "But I think it's just cause he wants you to be happy."

A slight flush spread over Jamie's cheeks as she accepted the flowers. "Thank you, Kutan," she said, trying to make her tone as kindly as possible so she wouldn't scare him. "They will make the room look that much nicer. I'm going to get a vase to put these in." She turned and picked up a bucket from where it had been resting on the ground next to the table. "Can you get some water from the well out back?"

Kutan nodded, clearly grateful to not have to explain to Jamie about the flowers anymore. He took the bucket from her hands and went out the back door. Jamie turned her gaze out to the front window, and saw the figure in the bushes moving behind the house. Tuakin going to meet Kutan.

Or, at least, she believed it was Tuakin. Of Kutan's five brothers, the oldest one, apprenticed to the blacksmith, had been showing an interest in Jamie over the past year or so. She had kept Tuakin at a careful distance, both because of her professional status as a Healer and because of the fact that -- well, she was literally from another world. Jamie had no idea what the consequences would be if she ever did find a way to get home, something she still held out hope for and thought of frequently.

The doctor in Jamie was also concerned about the possible problems associated with pregnancy between people from two different words. Not, she thought to herself, her cheeks flushing even brighter, that there was any chance of that happening with Tuakin at the moment. It was still something to consider.

She heard a sloshing sound from the back and hastily grabbed a vase from the kitchen, walking back in to find Kutan standing there with the bucket, his arms clearly having some difficulty bearing the weight. Placing the vase on the table, Jamie took Kutan's load from him. "Thank you again, Kutan," she said. "You've been quite helpful."

" 's what Tuakin said," Kutan replied. "I'd be helpful." Then he clapped a hand over his mouth. "Tuakin's gonna be mad," he said, gaze firmly fixed on the ground. "He said I wasn't supposed ta tell."

Trying not to laugh, Jamie ruffled Kutan's hair. "I won't tell if you won't," she replied. The boy's face brightened almost at once. "There you go. Now you go back and tell Tuakin -- I mean, my mysterious benefactor -- that the flowers are lovely and I'm grateful to him."

It was obvious from the expression on the boy's face that he only got half of it, but he was still eager to please and practically ran out the door. The Tuakin-shaped figure had returned to the front of Jamie's hut, and joined Kutan as the boy went back into the woods.

Jamie smiled. Kids.

She couldn't tell whether she was applying that to Kutan, Tuakin, or both.

~~~~

Jamie was making dinner the next night when a tap came on her door. She was relieved for the action in her hut. The past few weeks, the people of River Towne had been remarkably healthy, and she'd begun to get bored. Lucky stayed on her shoulder as she walked over and opened the door. She was utterly taken aback by the sight of the man who stood there.

He was one of the most handsome men she'd ever seen. He had dark brown hair, almost so dark as to be black, with a well-muscled body. His tanned face set his blue eyes in the front of whoever looked at him. Yet she had the unmistakable feeling she knew him, when she knew he'd never been to Raina's hut - her hut. She'd made a point of remembering every single person she'd treated.

And he wasn't one of them.

And she still couldn't shake the feeling that she knew him.

"Good day, honored healer Jamie," he said. "I am Anthony, head of House Ilotan. These are my sons, Aeric, heir to House Ilotan, and Biaren, second heir to House Ilotan."

Jamie curtsied politely. "I am honored to be of service to you, Lord Anthony." His voice clinched it. She knew him. There was something about his voice she knew she wouldn't notice in a stranger. Gods, who was he?

Anthony.

She couldn't believe she overlooked it. Anthony her friend. Anthony the prankster. Anthony who let loose snakes, rats, and all sorts of other animals in the school for a prank. Countless food fights flashed before her eyes.

And he was a father???

Jamie managed to calm down. Maybe it's not him.

Oh alright, it's not him. He just looks, acts, and sounds like Anthony! And no one is named Anthony. Aeric and Biaren, now those are common names. Anthony isn't.

"Please have a seat," her mouth said, responding to cues enscribed in her brain long ago. By Raina. She pushed the thought away.

"Tell me, which one needs my attention?" she asked when they were all seated.

"Biaren," Anthony said. "Some time ago, we noticed that he is continually weak. He has not been himself for some time. He complains that his wrists ache. He gets tired easily, and no doc - healers have been able to find a cure."

He almost said doctors! It's him!

"I see," Jamie said, leaning back in her chair and pretending to think. "Well, I think we need to have a serious discussion about this. Aeric and Biaren, I have a feeling you'll get bored. If you'd like, you can go out back and play with Lucky." She lifted the tricolored cat off her shoulder and deposited her on the ground. Lucky yawned and stretched, then trotted to the back. Biaren took off, then slowed down and waited for Aeric.

Anthony watched them go. "Forgive my slip of the tounge, Healer, I was referring to -"

"Cut the crap, Anthony Fazzino," Jamie said, getting up from the table and running around to the other side and hauling Anthony out of the chair and squeezing him in a bear hug. "By the gods, it's good to see you again."

"Jamie Reynolds, it is you," Anthony said, squeezing her so tight she thought she'd burst. Jamie sagged happily in his arms.

"Damn straight," Jamie said, the old phrase slipping out of her mouth just like that. "How long has it been since I've talked like this?" She laughed.

"Five years," Anthony said, holding her close to him. It was her. Jamie. She was real, she was here. He wasn't alone.

"You always were the smart one," Jamie said.

"Who was valedictorian?" Anthony teased.

"Point conceded," Jamie grinned, wrenching herself away from him. "First things first, Biaren," she made herself say. "Business first. Fun, as it were, later."

"You haven't changed a bit. You were always like that, get what has to be done, done, and then goof off like no tomorrow." Anthony grinned as he followed her back to the table.

"Tease." Jamie stuck her tongue out at him. It's like I'm back in high school. "The symptoms you described ... continually weak, gets tired easily, wrists aching ... a fever?" At Anthony's nod, she plunged ahead and said, "I'm guessing its something out of the ordinary, otherwise you wouldn't be here." She hummed to herself, thinking. "Might possibly be a virus. The flu? Or ..."

She trailed off as she realized something. "Does he go in the woods often?"

"Yes, he does," Anthony said, sounding curious.

Jamie's mind had hit upon a little black thing she'd taken off of Lucky a while back.

"Ticks. Those damn things are everywhere. I think that Biaren might have Lyme disease."

Anthony looked taken aback, then nodded slowly. "Lyme. Figures."

"Just one more thing," Jamie said. She walked over to the door, and opened it. "Biaren, could you come here for just a minute?" The boy complied. "Biaren, is there any part of your body that itches?"

Biaren nodded, showing Jamie a bright red rash on his arm. It almost looked like a bulls-eye.

Jamie sighed. "Thank you, Biaren," she said, letting the boy go back to playing. She turned to Anthony. "Lyme."

"Damn."

"I think I know how to treat it, but it'll take some time." Jamie began rummaging through her cabinet and herbs. She had several herbs that she thought would treat him. Luckily, none of them had horrible side effects.

She bundled a bunch together, and threw in another herb that would act as a painkiller. She wrote a note to the healers of House Ilotan.

"Greetings from Healer Jamie of River Towne," the note read. "Lord Anthony brought his son Biaren of House Ilotan to my workshop, and charged me with diagnosis. You will be pleased to know that I know what is afflicting Biaren. It is a common, yet relatively unknown disease spread by tiny ticks. The disease is called Lyme disease, and I have included herbs which are to be given to Biaren to treat his Lyme disease. The herbs included are Yellow Summer flowers, to ease the fever; Aspiar, to ease the aching of his joints, Waitel, to kill his pain; Cibran, to get rid of the rash; and lastly Olidean, to expel the poison. Use all of the herbs I have mentioned, and none other. I trust Biaren's health to your care.

In health,

Jamie, Master Healer to River Towne."


Jamie nodded once at her handiwork, then bundled it around the herbs. "I'll give this note for you to give to the healers back at your ... mansion," she said, wincing slightly at the last word.

"Why not just come with me?" Anthony asked. "I can't just leave you here! Now that I know you're here, I have to see if there's any more of us here!"

"I can't just leave," Jamie argued. "I have obligations to River Towne."

"I'll have one of the staff healers posted here," Anthony said, beginning to pace the room. "Jamie, you've got to come with me."

I always wanted him to be more serious... I loved his pranks, but I thought he needed to settle down. Now he has. Jamie shook her head. "Anthony, if you can pull this off, I'll gladly come with you. But I don't know if you can get this done..."

"Leave it to me." Anthony sounded confident, almost cocky.

Jamie sighed. "Fine. But you're staying here for the night." She looked outside, even thought it wasn't dusk yet, she was still nervous.

"Wouldn't dream of anything else," Anthony said.

He's changed, and yet he hasn't. Jamie wasn't sure which she was more happy about.

~~~~

That night, after Aeric and Biaren had settled down to sleep, Jamie told Anthony everything that had happened since she came here. When she was done, Anthony nodded and sat back, clearly readying himself for a long tale.

"You've had some interesting times," he commented. "I suppose I can't say my life didn't change drastically after I got here.

"I landed on my ... butt in the stables of House Ilotan five years ago," he began. Jamie grinned at his censorship of his words. "It's instinct!" he said to her grin. "Anyways, the grooms found me, and took me to see Belila, the Lady of House Ilotan."

Here Anthony's expression turned to wistful. "Your ... wife?" Jamie asked, putting the pieces together.

Anthony nodded. "She took to me instantly, and when I proved I could read and write, I was hired as a tutor for Aeric, and later Biaren. The boys loved me. Their father had died some time back, shortly after Biaren was born. They clung to me. One day, three years ago, Belila called me to her side. She told me she was dying and there was nothing the healers could do for her. She said that she didn't want House Ilotan going under the rule of her first husband's brother, Calioner. By rights, it belonged to Aeric. She was afraid Calioner would never give up his claim once he'd made it.

"So she gave me the second biggest shock of my life and asked me to marry her," Anthony said. "Needless to say, I was floored. She went on to explain that the boys loved me, and she was of the opinion that I would make a good regent until Aeric was old enough to rule.

"What could I say except yes? I agreed with her assessment of Calioner, and by that time, the boys hated to leave my side. I don't think I ever really loved Belila, we did consummate our marriage, but neither of us ever harbored illusions that it was anything other than a marriage of convenience. Oh sure, in public we played the happy couple, but in private we joked around like old friends, not lovers. The grief I felt when she died a year later wasn't feigned, however." Anthony's tone turned somber, and his eyes looked at the floor. "I cared for her, and she gave me some reason to live here. I would do anything for my boys. Even give them into the care of someone else, if that's what it would take. They're not my blood sons, but I still love them. I'm the only father Biaren's ever known."

Jamie gently touched his arm. "Then you're the best father you can be," she said softly. Anthony didn't look at her for a long moment.

"I'm going to have to leave them," he said after the silence had passed. "At least Biaren. I ... now that I've found you, I have to go looking! I can't sit here, and let our classmates pass us by!"

Jamie was taken aback by his sudden pronouncement. "You just said that ..."

"I know," Anthony said. His face looked like he was trying to say something, but his body said an entirely different thing.

"I love them," he said finally. "But I can't stay here. I can't leave my family forever. I don't belong here, and neither do you. No matter how much we feel like we can make our lives here, we can't." He stood up, his face contorted in sadness and anger. "We're twenty three years old, we have our whole lives ahead of us. I want to spend them at home."

He was saying the exact same things she'd been telling herself for years. That glimmer of hope had never left them. The possibility of going back where they belong, where they came from, was still there, tantalizing them, just out of reach.

Suddenly it seemed closer than ever.

"I'll go to the Ilotan estates," Jamie said. "From there, we will see."

((Continued in "Leaving Home - Again (Chapter 4)))
© Copyright 2002 Tenea (teneablue25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/404836-Enter-Anthony-Chapter-3