*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/421693-Chapter-3--The-Dragon
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fantasy · #421693
Torin finds his treasure, and a little something more.
Back to: "Chapter 2: The Haggard Hills

The Dragon

Torin staggered out of the water, crawling as far as he could up the bank. Shuddering, he flopped over on his back, spitting out water. He shivered, staring back at the underground lake. His eyes widened as another tentacle reached out of the water toward him. Heart beating wildly, he scooted backwards, grabbing onto a stalagmite to pull himself to his feet. He trembled with reaction, fighting for breath and spitting out more water.

A sudden, piercing, keening sound propelled Torin into a run down the tunnel. He ran until, back in darkness, he tripped on a rock and fell. Back against the tunnel wall, Torin rested. He shivered with cold, massaging his sore feet. His arm, where the water monster had stung him burned and moving his arm was agony.

Slowly, he began to breathe more normally and he pushed himself to his feet. Calmer now, he tried to remember which way he had come since crossing the lake. His body felt like one big bruise and his head pounded unmercifully from being repeatedly slammed against the lake floor.
Hoping he was going the right way, Torin began to limp down the tunnel. Within a few paces, the tunnel narrowed and he let out a sigh of relief. He was going the right way.

The rest of the map unfolded exactly the way Torin had heard. But, strangely, the tunnel did not seem to be leveling out and the way was becoming increasingly warm. Instead of being reassuring, the glow of light made Torin even more uneasy.

He slowed down, picking his way carefully among the rocks. True to the map, the tunnel ended at the source of the light, a slit in the rock looking out into an enormous cavern.

Torin edged through the crack, staring into the cavern in disbelief. Gold, mounds and mounds and heaps of gold, piled up to the ceiling met his gaze. He blinked, dazzled from the shine. Slowly, he pulled himself into the cavern. His feet throbbed as skin met the warmth of the gold underfoot.

Cautiously, dazzled by the sight of so much treasure, Torin made his way around the vast heap of treasure immediately before him. He climbed his way over the rise between two piles and halted midstep, his breath catching in his throat.
A giant eye, wider than Torin was tall, stared unblinking at the elf. The eye was blacker than the tunnels Torin had just navigated and it sat in a head that was covered with scales an even blacker color. The gold suddenly seemed much brighter in contrast.

"Well, well."

Torin couldn't tear his gaze away from that of the dragon. He began shaking in earnest, wishing he had even his dagger.

"Well," rumbled the dragon again.

"I -- I," Torin stammered.

"Give me one reason I shouldn't kill you."

Torin's mouth dropped open, then his eyes rolled back in his head and he pitched forward, face-first into the gold, sliding a few feet before finally stopping.

"Well!" said the dragon, eyeing the elf with a mixture of amusement and surprise. "That wasn't quite the reaction I was hoping for."


{c}"Chapter 4: Raven's Peak
© Copyright 2002 KC under the midnight sun (goonie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/421693-Chapter-3--The-Dragon