*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/421722-Chapter-9--A-Not-so-Great-Morning
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #421722
Neira, off to the rescue . . Or will she strike out on her own?
Back to: ""Chapter 8: Call to Arms"


A Not-So-Great Morning

Neira woke instantly, as was her custom, as soon as the sun rose. Not seeing her human rescuer, she eased from the bed and dressed. Going to the trapdoor, she listened. Someone sat directly above her and the church whispered with voices making their last peace to their god. She perched there on the steps until the last voice had gone silent and the people left the small building.

The half-elf wiggled quietly into the church, slinking to one of the windows. There, hidden from view, her eyes met a strange scene.

Men of all ages stood in an awkward gaggle just in front of the church. Silent and teary-eyed women stood to one side, clutching their hands together in anxious silence. A squad of armored and mounted men waited at the gate. A farmer's horse stood quietly hitched to its battered wagon. A nd inside . . . !

Neira held her tongue only with great effort, her eyes frozen at the sight of the two prisoners. Even as she watched, the silver-haired elf spoke, given a cuff for his trouble. The scarlet and gold-clad soldiers threw the two prisoners unceremoniously in the cart, tying their hands to opposite sides and their feet together.

"No trouble from you, sorcerer," the soldier growled as Lin twitched. "The warrant didn't say if you was wanted alive . . or dead."

Torin's frightened gaze met Lin's angry one and she scowled at the soldier around her gag. A slight movement drew Lin's attention. Looking, she saw the half-elf peering nervously at the stirred-up town. Shaking her head slightly, Lin deliberately turned her gaze to the supplies heaped at the front of the wagon. Thrown carelessly on top was Lin's crossbow.

Neira smiled grimly, hoping she read the medicine woman's meaning correctly. Returning to the hidden room, she prepared herself for a long journey and a possible battle.

In the wagon, Lin closed her eyes briefly in relief as the shadow of the half-elf withdrew from the window. Looking at Torin, she saw him watching her with a speculative gaze that made her feel distinctly uncomfortable.

"You're a sorcerer?" he whispered, as the soldiers moved away.

Lin rolled her eyes and shook her head. She frowned, puzzled, as the elf's shoulders sagged in disappointment and he looked away. Kicking him, she drew his gaze back to her face.

He shook his head to her silent query and she let him be. Likely this was to be a long, uncomfortable trip and one in which Lin rather thought there would be no pleasant outcome.


{c}"Chapter 10: Escape
© Copyright 2002 KC under the midnight sun (goonie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/421722-Chapter-9--A-Not-so-Great-Morning