*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/421748-Chapter-14--Battle
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fantasy · #421748
Hope and help are on the way, and perhaps a clearer look at the quest ahead.
Back to: "Chapter 13: Question for Debate


Battle

The ill-assembled companions rose with the sun, making good time through the forest. Lin led the way, often miles ahead of her much-noisier followers. Alton kept the barbarian and young archer to the narrow trail Lin had set them upon, but for most of the day, a large book held in front of his nose encapsulated the majority of the cleric's attention. Neira and Torin strode alongside each other, that is, until the elf decided he wanted to make conversation. Neira gave the tall archer a scathing retort and increased her pace to stride in the fore of the small party. Depressed, Torin fell slightly behind.

Toward mid-afternoon, Torin's sharp ears picked up an uneasy sound from up ahead. He jogged ahead to walk with Neira, the half-elf ignoring his presence. The continued on cautiously, ears alert for some sign of ambush.

Torin and Neira topped a rise, suddenly finding themselves facing a burning village. The inhabitants were running in fear, screaming. Torin's jaw dropped open and he stopped in his tracks.

His nose in his spellbook, Alton walked right into the back of Neira's legs. He looked up, peering around her. "What's going on?"

As the smoke cleared, they caught sight of Lin, battering heads on all sides with the ends of her stout staff. With a scream that made several heads turn their way, Neira brandished her spear and charged.

Alton snapped his book shut and launched himself up the nearest tree. "Well don't just stand there, boy!" he shouted down at Torin. "Shoot them!"

But the elf was already moving, close on Neira's heels. Having thrown himself forward, he slid down the small hill, leaping quickly to the roof of a small home. In one swift, fluid movement, he strung his bow, pulled out an arrow and sighted along its crude shaft.

"Look out!"

Lin spun, ducked, and rolled to avoid the wizard's magical attack. Her seeking gaze found a young man, a sword protruding from his thigh, bravely chucking small daggers at the marauders. Lin knocked a few more skulls, then ducked away from another blast of conjured fire.

"Enough of this!" she muttered crossly. Letting her eyes flick lightly over her surroundings, she searched for the wizard. Mumbling under her breath, she waited until she'd found the place where her eyes just seemed to drift over. There, she cast her spell.

The wizard cursed as his concealment vanished and he was lit up in a ghostly light. His dark eyes found Lin and he stared at her with a malevolence that made her skin crawl. His was a soul bent on murder and mayhem. He opened his mouth to shout his destructive will, but gagged, blood pouring from the dagger embedded in his throat.

Leaving the dead wizard, Lin hurried to help her companions. With their wizard dead, the marauders soon gave up and fled the renewed onslaught of the defending villagers.

Out of arrows, Torin gave a great sight of relief as the last of the marauders fled. He sat down roughly on the roof, letting his feet dangle. Putting his head in his hands, he struggled to calm his queasy stomach.

Neira laughed, catching sight of the elf, but she let him alone. His accuracy gave him that much. Weaving her way through the cheering villagers, she squatted beside Alton and Lin at the side of a gravely injured man.

"My thanks," said the man weakly, looking up at Lin. "We would all be dead but for you."

"There is no need for this bloodshed," Lin said, sniffing slightly in distaste.

The man smiled a little. "Death this way is never needed. You best be careful, young Druid, lest your energies be spent on lesser tasks."

"Be quiet," Alton said, waving Lin to silence. "I can't concentrate with all your noise."

Neira watched in rapt fascination as the holy man set his hands along the sides of the gushing wound. His fingertips began to glow and slowly, the dreadful wound sealed itself, a long white scar the only reminder.

"Thank you," the man said softly, his pale face regaining some of its color.

Alton turned away. "That's all well and good," he muttered. "There're others in need."

"I am Lin, and this is Neira," said the druid as the halfling limped away. "That is Alton, and Torin is about somewhere."

"We have much to thank you for. I am Gao, a humble bard, and this is Dewaurk. What brings you our way?"


{c}"Chapter 15: Gao, the Bard
© Copyright 2002 KC under the midnight sun (goonie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/421748-Chapter-14--Battle