*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/451991-BAA-BAA-BAA
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Detective · #451991
Frick and Frack ride again.
         The maroon sedan kicked up dust as it sped up the dirt road. The woman driving had brown hair, wore glasses and was dressed in a purple shirt, jeans and a black vest. Riding shotgun was a man also in jeans, but topped with a gold sweatshirt with the words "Clinton County SPCA." As they started up the dirt road, the siren that had accompanied the unmarked car through the city streets ceased. The car bounced over the bumps, at one point sending the passenger into the roof. Their windows were open. From them came a shout,"You're going to kill me, partner. Slow down! It's not exactly a murder case."
         "I'm so sorry."

         She eased off the gas and slowed as they approached a yellow police barricade that prevented vehicles from passing the spot. She hit the brakes and took off her glasses. The doors opened and both jumped out. Criminals had reason to shake with fear. Frick and Frack were on the case again!

         "I didn't even know this was in the city. Serves me right to wear my sandals." This remark did not come from Frack, the distaff member of the duo but rather her intrepid partner. The two strode ahead on a path than ran through a field covered mostly with weeds and ground cover.

         "I keep telling you, get a pair of sneakers."
         "Hate them."
         "Then don't complain. There she is."

         A young girl sat on a tree stump. She was dressed in a long green kaftan and held a shepherd’s crook in her hands. She had her head down and was crying.

         "You called for help, Ma'am, uh, Miss?"

         The young woman looked up at Frick and started crying all the harder. Frack put her arm around the girl's shoulder and edged next to her on the stump.

         "Now we won't get anywhere that way, Miss, Miss, Miss?"
         "Peep, Bojangles Peep, but I'm 'Bo' to my friends and family."
         "What's the problem Miss Peep? Dispatch said something was stolen."
         "MY SHEEP, MY SHEEP. THEY'RE GONE."

         Frick piped, "Oh, I am sure they will come home soon, wagging their tails behind them."
         "WAAHHHHH."
         "Pods, I think you ought to call in and then look for some clues. You don't seem to be reaching her."

         Frick walked off shaking his head, picked up the radio and reported in and then began to search the ground in the vicinity. Frack gently continued her questioning of the theft victim.

         “How many sheep were there, Miss Peep?”
         “I don’t know. I don’t count them, it puts me to sleep. Maybe twenty, thirty. Awful animals, always bleating and dumb as all get out.”
         “Are you sure they just didn’t walk off on their own?”
         “No, I don’t think so. I was watching them, I turned my head for one second and they were gone!”
         “For a second, Ms. Peep?”
         “Maybe it was a minute, this girl was passing and she asked me directions to her grandmother’s house, like I’m supposed to know where her grandmother lives. I pointed to the woods over there, turned my head back and the sheep were gone.”

         Frack cleared her throat once and then again. “I am sorry, Miss Peep, that story does not quite add up. What would a young girl be doing out here? I am afraid I have to ask you if, uh, you were involved with any of your sheep. You understand, the question is just routine.”

         Before she could answer, Frick started shouting and waving. “There’s footprints over here and they go off this way into these woods. Whole parcel of some kind of animal, and one set of larger footprints. I’m gonna follow them.” Frick unholstered his gun and headed off down a path into the woods.

         Frack pulled her gun and followed, with Bo Peep dragging behind. They were over fifty yards behind Frick. Frack began to run to catch up. She saw Frick go around a bend but the trees then blocked her view.

         Suddenly shots rang out. The wooded path was filled with the sound of animals running. Around the bend in a cloud of dust came more sheep than Frack had ever counted in her life. They were heading straight toward her, frightened and charging hard. Frack pulled herself up on a tree limb and hung above the herd as it thundered by. Bo Peep raised her crook and shouted, “Stop you stupid sheep,” before she sought safety behind a tree. After they passed she ran after them, calling them every name in the book and then some. Their tails were wagging, and they seemed to be headed in the general direction of home.

         Frack looked back up the path. Out of the cloud of dust came Frick, with a tall man with a long nose, sharp teeth and large eyes, and wearing handcuffs. “Pods, this is Sebastian Wolf. We are taking him in on a 241.”

         “Now what is that, Frick?”
         “Sheep rustling.”

         At that moment a girl in a red cloak and hood walked out of the woods, pulled on Frack’s shirtsleeve and asked, “Can you tell me where my grandmother lives?” Frack looked at the piece of paper she handed her and told her to proceed up the path about four miles. The girl walked off, but not before Wolf’s eyes gave her a leering look.

         They took Wolf to the station and booked him.

         A hearing was held within the hour. Wolf’s attorney, Justin Pigg, whose office was located at Three Brickhouse, argued for bail. The magistrate was agreeable, setting a date for trial ten days hence and releasing Sebastian Wolf on bail. When last seen, he was bumming a ride back to the woods from Attorney Pigg. He said something about having a hot date with the old lady.

Valatie June 21, 2002

936 Words

© Copyright 2002 David J IS Death & Taxes (dlsheepdog at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/451991-BAA-BAA-BAA