*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/475772-Finding-time-to-write
Rated: E · Column · Writing · #475772
A contest entry that had to be about: Problems writers encounter.
Finding Time to Write:


          “...And gray squirrel picked up her babies and took them safely into their nest in the hollow tree. The baby squirrels could now lay down for a night’s sleep with their mother watching safely over them.”
          I looked down at my son who had fallen asleep, clutching his mother and baby gray squirrels that he had gotten for Christmas, along with the book. I was glad I had taken the time out of my busy day to read two stories to my youngest child. I woke him up and still clutching his squirrels I escorted him to bed and tucked him in, telling him once again how much I loved him.
          In my hurried life as a writer I get too caught up with deadlines. I’m not a procrastinator I always get started right away, but being a full-time Mother I’m always having to stop the project I’m working on and tend to my children’s needs. When I come back to my current project the sensational idea I had has diminished, and I have to work harder to try and remember the words that came so easily before I was interrupted.
          I have learned to write over the laughing and rough playing of my boys, the sound of the television, the dog barking, and whatever else is going on while I struggle to concentrate. I tell myself maybe that I don’t have what it takes to be a writer. My children have to come first. It seems like as soon as I sit down to the computer, a million things need to be done.
          I started writing before the kids were born and wrote sparingly, more for sanity purposes, as they were babies. Now at 6 and 7 years old, they are in school and I have all the time in the world to write. NOT! The kitchen needs cleaning for the third time today. I need to go to the Grocery Store. The laundry is waiting. The dog needs to be walked. I have Doctor appointments for the kids, everything from eye exams to planter’s wart.
          It makes you wonder how Danielle Steel ever made the time? Speaking of Ms. Steel, I have her new book that I haven’t had time to read yet. AHHHHH! So when do I find time to write? I put the dog in her kennel, put on a load of laundry, turn the TV to cartoons and call Kentucky Fried Chicken.
          I know deep in my heart that I am a writer. I’m now ready. I sit down at my computer and stare at the screen. What was it I was going to write about anyway?


:by McKinley Rose
© Copyright 2002 Mckinley Rose (writervh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/475772-Finding-time-to-write