*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/499430-Peace--at-Last
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Travel · #499430
A trip to Malaysia to rediscover yourself!
If you're a girl who wishes to spend some time alone to rediscover herself, you might think twice before embarking on an Asian trip to tropical beaches and enchanted forests but Malaysia is a wonderful and friendly country who's main concern is to please the tourist. So if you're longing for golden sand, calm blue sea and shady palms Malaysia has this and much, so much more.
Blessed with perpetual sunshine, Malaysia is an all-year round holiday destination offering something for everybody so if you wish to gradually dipping yourself in the Muslim culture you can start by visiting the icnreasinlgy Westernized capital Kuala Lumpur. The exhilarating 'muddy estuary', is a vibrant conglomerat3e of insular and Western, traiditonal and modern, colonial buildings contrasting with the American skyscrapers with exquisite restaurants, bars and cafes to satisfy even the most selective tourist. Multicultural stalls bring to life the city's streets even at night with Little India's Saturday-night market; the twenty-four hour Jalan Petaling in Chinatown offers opportunity for a midnight snack or a new dress. If you like to experiment with exotic food products then Pasar Minggu and Pudu Market have to be your primary choices. The first comes alive on Saturday night and continues till Sunday morning; the lattter sells everything under the sun, from chicken slaughtered and butchered on the spot to stingray fillet and pig's penis. Don't concern yourself with dangerous night streets as the area is always busy with pedestrians and local traffic; Little India, on the other hand, is deserted after dark and the city's 'red district' might offer uncomfortable doings so a taxi might be advisable.
If you're fit and don't mind zigzagging thorugh the chock-a-block traffic of cars and trucks then the Heritage Trails covers all the hot places including the Golden Triangle where things are truly happening with enchanting shopping malls, hotels and enticing eating establishments.
You might want ot dedicate your second day to visiting the city and to continue feasting your eyes on beautiful things, so why not leisurely flag a taxi to the Sultan Abdul Samad building if only for the magnificent park and the blend of Victorian and Moorish architectural structure. Then, to remain in the spirit of the country and to experience the first of many mystical sensations you could instruct the accommodating but often deceitful driver to the Batu Caves, the best know attraction near KL. The caves are an amazing Hindu celebration with vendors and food stalls greeting the visitors before they are left off to climb the 272 steps to the main cave all the way accompanied by the hungry guardian monkeys.
If you're in the mood for new experiences KL offers an impressive range of activities from scuba diving to horse riding, from rafting to skydiving. If you prefer a more natual approach Fraser's Hill is the place to go. Only 101 km northeast of the city, it offers one of the few public golf courses in the country at moderate fees together with a most appealing array of 650 exotic birds.
If you're looking for more tropical surroundings eager to be swept away by the marvelous natural beauty then the islands are just what you need, so jump on the first plane available at the KL International Airport and off you go. Imagine, the sun is setting and the beach is immersed in fantastic shades of delicate and vivid red. You're walking on a padisiacal white, sandy beach, waves are lapping gently on the shore and the pleasant breeze caresses your cheek. Fishermen out in the ocean call out to you and you wave back. Everything is calm and all is left for you to do is simply to let go and relax. Take a deep breath and marvel.
The islands, a stunning combination of transparent and clear waters, where boats seem to slide on lustruous and turquoise-colored glass, and enchanted forests.
Paradise at a hand-reach.
The 'Pearl of the Orient' (Penang), situated in the north-west side of the country, hosts the most notorious beaches and Batu Ferringhi is the most famous of them all, situated 14 km from Georgetown, the capital, along a picturesque luscious vegetation.
Now that you're in paradise is time to watch out for the overly friendly locals on the lookout for girls on their own. It is fair to say that even the most persistent natives are not a serious threat and, anyway, some company, especially by some of the young and attractive locals, can always be a pleasant diversion but keep on eye open at night time as the streets can be deserted and help may not be at hand.
Guided tours are on service throught the region; agian watch out for swindlers. A good tour of the island can be done in a day. Amidst the regional attractions special consideration should be given to the Botanical Gardens - 7 km of greenery and jungle-clad hills where waterfalls, fern rockeries, tropcial flowering plants, gardens and monkeys live in perfect harmony; the Sate Mosque - the most spectacular view in Malaysia and the imposing and colorful senv-story pagoda of the vast Kek Lok Si temple, bult to impress in a variety of styles by Chinese, Thai and Burmese craftspeople.
Penang offers many activities maong the most interesting there are mountain-bike trips, the increasingly popular golf which attracts the local elite, and for horse aficionados horse racing and horse riding are available. Indoor pursuits are obtainable in forms of bowling, roller-skating, billiards and ice-skating.
The 'Island of Legends' (Langkawi) comprises 105 tropical islands and is an alternative to the more life-buzzing style of Penang, which can easily be reached by ferry. Only an hour flight form KL makes it a popular attraciton for the locals who wish to take advantage of its duty free status.
The island offers the friendly hospitality of the locals, always eager to chaperon a girl alone, and the marvelously remote fjords dispersed across the atolls. The main island's attractions are the Crocodile Farm, Art and Craft Museum and a visti to the glorious local forest. Island hopping and guided tours are amond the activities offered by all hotels in the island. Among the islands visited Singa Besar has a wildlife park that hosts mouse deer, iguanas, monkeys and exotic birds. All islands are ideal places for scuba diving and snorkeling. Don't expect much in terms of shopping establishments as the prices are often higher than KL's and the products' quality is poor. Better to spend your time on the beautiful beaches, touring or eating and drinking at the typecast hotels' restaurant where you can sip one of the many exotic cocktails on the veranda overlooking the ocean and losing yourself in the splendour of the sunset.
Haaa, peace at last!


WAY TO GO

GETTING THERE: Kuala Lumpur is Malaysia's principal international arrival gateway and the crossroads for domestic bus, train and taxi travel. Penang is well served on the Malaysia Airlines Pelangi domestic network, with several daily connections to the islands.

WHERE TO STAY: the Sheraton Imperial is one of KL's most luxurious establishments, with rooms starting at RM500. Concorde combines luxury with personality and style. A room is aobut RM300 with promotional deals starting from RM198.

WHEN TO GO: October-April is the monsoon season in the northeast with the heaviest rain from November to January; southwest is wet and windy between May-September. Penang seasons are similar but not as pronounced and it gets high rainfall in September and October. Public holidays are not a good time to travel as transport is crowded and hotel prices rise in the resorts. The peak times are Chinese New Year, Hari Raya and Christmas. Ramadan is generally not a problem for travel.

FURTHER INFORMATION: The head office of Tourism Malaysia is on the 17th floor of Menara Dato Onn, Putra World Trade Centre, 45 Jalan Tun Ismail, 50480, Kuala Lumpur.
Langkawi is part of Kedalt state, so banks and government offcies are closed on Friday, often the weekend. The only banks are at Kualt, where you'll also find moenychanger just north of the Hot Wok restaurant. Elsewhere you'll have to rely on VISA: Visitors must have a valid passport.

© Copyright 2002 Giselle Saubert (sapphro at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/499430-Peace--at-Last