*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/500406-Ceiling-Wax
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #500406
Caroline's dreams come true as she gazes at ceilings!
CEILING WAX



“Morning Ida,” said Carolyn sleepily to the arachnid that inhabited the far left hand corner of her bedroom ceiling. God, the room really did need a lick of paint. She’d been dreaming about him again and even though now fully awake her thoughts dwelled on the wonderful things they had done together. In truth, Ida the spider probably had more excitement in life than she did but Carolyn’s dreams were something else. Dreams that were not confined to her sleep, but occupied most of her waking thoughts. Slowly, Carolyn realised that today was the day. Maybe this time her dreams would become reality.


         “Going somewhere nice?” asked the pretty blonde as she applied hot wax to Carolyn’s eyebrows, legs and bikini line.

         “Just a party,” replied Carolyn lying back and admiring the pristine white ceiling of the local beauty salon. Just a party! Who was she kidding? This was the party she had been waiting for. She had first seen him at Alison’s party many months ago. Tall, dark and handsome, with sparkling brown eyes and a small scar above his mouth, that only added to the magnetism of his smile. She’d dreamed about him day and night ever since then. Carolyn hoped that spending the whole morning and half her wages on beauty treatments would ensure success when she met him again tonight at the party.


         Carolyn lay back in the bubbly bath and stared dreamily at the bathroom ceiling. Thinking of him. She didn’t know his name, where he lived or what he did for a living but she hoped she would soon find out. The afternoon spent pampering herself was going to plan. She would look so stunning after all the effort, that he would be unable to resist her. But there was plenty of time, so she gave in to the temptation to lie dreaming in the bath a little longer. She turned on the hot tap to top up the now luke warm water but just as she was about to resume her dreaming the inevitable happened - the telephone rang.


         After assuring her mother that, yes, she would be careful, and no, she wouldn’t drink too much Carolyn replaced the receiver and decided a cup of tea was called for. She sat at the kitchen table envisaging dancing in his arms all night followed by a long session of steamy passion. Her fantasy was rudely interrupted by water dripping rapidly through the kitchen ceiling. “Oh Shit!” she yelled, taking the stairs two at a time, “I’ve left the bloody tap running.”


         Carolyn opened her eyes slowly and stared at the ceiling. She’d had the most wonderful dream about him and didn’t want to leave it. Ida had disappeared. But as she began to focus, she realised this was not her bedroom ceiling. Her thoughts began to race. She remembered the flood at her house yesterday and the disappointment she'd felt at not being able to go to the party, deciding she would have to clean up and wait for someone to come and check the electrics. Then slowly, a smile spread across her face and she turned to check on the sleeping form next to her. Yes, that scar certainly did enhance his good looks but she had never imagined him to be an electrician.




© Copyright 2002 Scarlett (scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/500406-Ceiling-Wax