*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/509062-The-Secret-of-Parsons-Field
by Spyder
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #509062
Five teens dare to learn the truth of an old town legend
The fence, having been previously torn open by wire cutters, swayed in the wind like a metallic curtain. The sign hanging on the fence was covered in graffiti but the words "Keep Out!" were still recognizable amongst the spray can art.
"This is trespassing, you know that, right?" Marsh said, trying to maintain responsibility.
"Don't be a wussy, Marsh," Dave said as he pulled open the fencing to usher everyone in.
The five teens stood at the only entry way into Parson's field, a place that had become infamous in their small hometown.
"We can't go in there," Marsh said.
"Why not?" Dave said, still holding open the hole in the fence. "You guys said you needed a place to party so here we are."
"Well yeah, we need a place to party but is this the best place you can think of?" Sheri said, not wanting to pass through the fence either.
"Why don't we just go to a park or something?" Cindy said, clutching her friend Sheri's arm.
"Oh come on guys," Dave said, letting go of the fence.
"Yeah, this place is just as good as any park," Reese said as he pulled the twelve pack of beer from the back of the car. "And there's less cops patroling here and catching us."
"Yeah!" Dave said, glad that there was someone on his side.
"Oh come on guys, you know what they say about this place," Marsh said, unhappy with the fact that he was the smallest of the males.
"And what do they say?" Dave said.
"Well you know...." Marsh said.
"Know what?" Reese said.
"Well....I heard that they keep a....a..." Marsh said, hesitating.
"A what?" Dave asked.
"I heard that they...uh...have a giant six foot tall rabbit tied up to a tree," Marsh said.
The four other teens laughed hysterically as Marsh stood there, feeling quite silly and embarrassed about what he just said.
"A giant rabbit?!" Dave said, laughing.
"Yeah, a giant rabbit," Marsh said. "You know, mutated from all the radioactive chemicals that were dumped here."
"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard," Reese said.
"That's just what I heard," Marsh said.
"Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm going in," Dave said, turning on his flashlight and pushing his way through the fence.
"I'm coming," Reese said, turning on a second flashlight.
"Good, grab the beer then," Dave said.
Reese picked up the twelve pack and followed Dave's lead through the fence. The other three teens stood there watching Dave and Reese stroll into the empty field. The two girls looked at each other for a moment and then quickly followed through the fence. Marsh stood there alone for a moment and finally convinced himself to go.
"I still don't think this is a good idea," Marsh yelled as he tried to catch up with the others.
"There's nothing to worry about," Dave said, sitting atop of an old broken down tractor with a beer in his hand.
"No cops, no giant rabbits, it's all good," Reese said.
Dave stood up and pointed his flashlight to an old barn looming in the distance. The other four teens turned and looked to see what he was pointing at.
"What?" Sheri asked.
"They say that Satan worshippers use that barn for their Satanic rituals," Dave said, drinking his beer.
"Do they?" Marsh said.
"Yup, that's where they sacrifice virgins and cut up animals and stuff," Dave said.
"That's disgusting," Sheri said.
"That's not what I heard," Reese said. "I heard that old man Parson went crazy and still hangs out here and whenever teens come here he attacks them with a giant fricken ax."
"No sir, really?" Cindy said.
"Don't listen to them, Cindy," Sheri said. "That's all bullshit. No sacrifices happen here and old man Parson doesn't attack teens with a giant fricken ax."
"Oh yeah," Dave said. "How do you know that?"
"Because old man Parson died, like, twenty years ago," Sheri said. "And there are no Satan worshippers in this town. At least not enough to get together and hold rituals. The truth is, nobody comes here except for dumb teens looking for a place to drink and have sex. This land is dead and polluted. The government had dumped all kinds of waste here without telling Mr. Parson and his crops ended up dying. He got sick himself and died. They closed off this farm and now all this place is used for is making up stories to scare people. Like all urban legends, there's not really anything to be afraid of."
"Oh yeah," Dave said, jumping off the tractor. "Well I'm gonna go check out that barn for myself."
"I'll go with you," Reese said, finishing off his beer as he followed after Dave.
"Guys, I wouldn't go in there," Cindy said.
"Let them go, Cindy," Sheri said. "They're idiots."
"You coming, Marsh?" Dave asked.
"Uh, no....that's okay," Marsh said. "I'll wait here and ....um...protect the ladies."
The two male teens marched towards the old barn, each with a flashlight in hand. As they got closer to the barn doors, an old tree became visible. Reese shined his flashlight at the tree, revealing an old rope hanging from one of the branches.
"Look, there's where they tied up the giant rabbit," Reese said, jokingly.
Dave laughed, but only for a moment. As he got near enough to the barn to see inside the darkened barn, fear suddenly overcame him.
"What are you waiting for?" Reese said.
"Nothing," Dave said. "What are you waiting for?"
"I'm waiting for you," Reese said.
"I'm going!" Dave said, angrily.
Dave pushed open the barn door. It creaked away eerily, revealing only darkness. The two teens entered the barn, trying hard to illuminate the old barn with their flashlights. They walked halfway into the barn and shined their flashlights at the barn walls, hoping not to find anything. Dave's flashlight came across red markings on the wall.
"See, I told you," Dave said.
Reese turned around and looked at the markings. Several symbols including a pentagram were written on the barn walls in what looked like blood.
"I told you Satan worshippers held their rituals here," Dave said, not really liking the fact that he had been right.
"You wanna get out of here?" Reese asked.
"Yeah, that's a good idea," Dave said.
Suddenly, the two heard a russle above them. They shined their flashlights upward, revealing a second floor of the barn. The two teens backed up, hearing something moving amonst the old hay.
"There's something up there," Reese said.
"No shit," Dave said.
The two looked at each other and then started running for the barn doors. Reese was in the lead, flying out of the barn as his flashlight signaled to the others that something was wrong. Dave, unfortunately, didn't make it out of the barn. While running, he had stepped on a rake hidden beneath the hay. The rake swiftly smacked Dave in the face hard causing him to fall on his back. His flashlight flew out of his hands, landing just before the doors of the barn.
"What's wrong," Sheri asked, as Reese ran up to the tractor.
"Um....we thought we heard something," Reese said.
"Where's Dave," Marsh asked.
Reese turned around to find that Dave wasn't there. He turned back around to the others with a look of shock.
"He was right behind me," Reese said, panicked.
"Well go get him," Cindy said.
"You go get him!" Reese said.
"I'll go get him," Sheri said, snatching the flashlight from Reese's hand. "Marsh, come on!"
"Er...um...okay," Marsh said, following after Reese.
"I wanna come to," Cindy said, leaving Reese alone by the tractor.
The three teens entered the barn, immediately finding Dave's fallen flashlight. Marsh picked it up and followed Cindy and Sheri to the center of the barn. Dave was nowhere to be seen.
"Dave, this isn't funny," Sheri said.
"Yeah, quit playing games," Cindy said.
"Uh, guys," Marsh said, shining his flashlight on the wall.
The two girls turned to the barn wall, seeing the blood markings on the wall made visible by the flashlights.
"Oh my God," Cindy said, freaking out.
"I guess Dave was right," Marsh said.
Looking around, Sheri sensed something. She shined the flashlight around, expecting Dave to jump out of the darkness in order to scare them. Her flashlight eventually found something even more frightening, causing Sheri to stop in her tracks.
"What's wrong?" Cindy asked, noticing Sheri was just standing there.
Getting Marsh's attention, Cindy went to see what Sheri was looking at. She too froze in place as she found what Sheri had found. Marsh was immediately concerned and went to look as well, finding blood strewn throughout the hay. He understood Sheri and Cindy's actions as he came across a bloody pile of what appeared to be Dave's lifeless body, torn apart by God knows what. The three teens screamed and headed to the exit of the barn. The two girls ran out of the barn safely, with Marsh unfortunately getting hit in the face with the same rake that got Dave. The two girls ran towards the broken down tractor to get Reese so the four of them could get the hell out of Parson's field. Sheri looked back to find that Marsh was no longer following.
"Oh my God," Sheri said, stopping. "We left Marsh behind!"
Cindy, who had ran ahead, began screaming. Concerned, Sheri caught up with Cindy and found what she was screaming at. She shined her flashlight at the tractor to find Reese on top of it, bloody and ripped open. A horrific creature was hunched over Reese's body, with the young teens flesh hanging out of its mouth. The flashlight got the attention of the giant creature causing it to howl an ungodly sound. Getting a good view of the monster, both Sheri and Cindy could only identify it as being large, demon like, and closely resembling that of a rabbit. Unfortunately, they would never be able to tell anyone.
As each year passed there was always that group of teens who dared enter Parson's field. Each of those teens would always have their own theory of what went on there from what they had heard from others but there was usually only one of them that had heard right. And almost always all of them would get to see the truth for themselves.
© Copyright 2002 Spyder (scsanchez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/509062-The-Secret-of-Parsons-Field